[UK] Best BT-line ISP?

I have just moved into a flat with a mate and there is no Telewest/NTL/Virgin link so we can't use them.

All we have is a BT phone socket in the corner, so we need to make use of that.

We do not like BT as an ISP due to their traffic shaping and poor download caps.

Who do you suggest instead? We are looking for a connection of at least 4 Mb and an unlimited cap. No severe traffic shaping would of course be a bonus.

I assume we can just go to that company and get the Internet? Must we ring BT and get out line rental from them? If so, that will be annoying as we don't need a phone service for now :/

Cheers guys!

AOL.

You are mustard so should be able to set up your things up without installing their software, if not I will tell how.

In 4 years of downloading upto 100gb a month on average I have not got any letters or emails about fair usage policy and only once (when moving house) was my internet connection (for 4 days) not upto 800kb sec -1.

Ohh yeah, AOL also offer you a phone service also via your line or you can get the post office to provide a service.

I recently upgrade to Pipex max (>8mb Broadband) within the past say 2-3 months and I've found thier speeds pretty decent. However you do get traffic shaping from around 6-11pm everyday apart from friday's it seems and the weekends, but then web browsing speeds and game play are pefectly fine, but p2p can go down to around 60kb/s! Which I don't mind personally, as I just download within the times that I'm not being "shaped"!

But yeh, I personally like pipex although their customer service isn't the best in the world lets just say that! :laugh:

:EDIT: Oh yeh and that costs me ?24.99 a month and that's unlimited and I download around 50-60gb a month on average and I've never recieved and warnings or anything!

AOL.

You are mustard so should be able to set up your things up without installing their software, if not I will tell how.

In 4 years of downloading upto 100gb a month on average I have not got any letters or emails about fair usage policy and only once (when moving house) was my internet connection (for 4 days) not upto 800kb sec -1.

Ohh yeah, AOL also offer you a phone service also via your line or you can get the post office to provide a service.

Do you know if AOL shape their traffic? I miss Telewest blueyonder, they were amazing...

bethere, they offer 24Mb but you need to look on their webiste to see if your exchange has been upgrade with their equipment. if it has then it's ?24 a month for completely unlimited access.https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Can't use their checker, don't have a phone number.

AOL.You are mustard so should be able to set up your things up without installing their software, if not I will tell how.In 4 years of downloading upto 100gb a month on average I have not got any letters or emails about fair usage policy and only once (when moving house) was my internet connection (for 4 days) not upto 800kb sec -1.Ohh yeah, AOL also offer you a phone service also via your line or you can get the post office to provide a service.

I was considering AOL until I saw...

On 10 October 2006, Carphone Warehouse announced the purchase of parts of AOL UK for ?370 m. In an early press statement, The Carphone Warehouse stated they had "no plans to change the service in any way at all," but, since January, anyone heavily using P2P applications have had their downstream bandwidth limited to 50 kbit/s during peak times (6pm-midnight, Sunday to Thursday). When users noticed this and complained, some were offered 30 days to cancel their contract free of charge. In another change to the service, The Carphone Warehouse have imposed an invisible cap for downloads, at 60GB/s a month. When you exceed this limit, AOL send an e-mail out to the Master Screenname with tips on how to lower your monthly usage. If the cap is continually exceeded, they threaten to cancel your account. This is not advertised anywhere on the website, FUP or contract when you sign up to the new service. AOL UK Unlimited Broadband is no longer Unlimited.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_UK#AOL_UK]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_UK#AOL_UK[/ur:/:/

Just google your postcode and I'm sure a phone number in the same area will pop up and then you can use that number to check if BeThere is available in your area! ;)

Just google your postcode and I'm sure a phone number in the same area will pop up and then you can use that number to check if BeThere is available in your area! ;)

I mean without line rental, surely Be can't help me?

Use your post code?

"Enter your phone number/post code"

I recommend bethere, even though im with orange ?_?. My friend uses them and has never had any problems.

Use your post code?

I recommend bethere, even though im with orange ?_?. My friend uses them and has never had any problems.

You enter your postal code and then it asks for your phone number.

I mean without line rental, surely Be can't help me?

I'm not too sure. I would also like to know this as I plan to get with this ISP when I move back to uni in a few months!

You can get Virgin through a phone line, check their website for non-cable internet.

The Virgin guy came round and saw the BT line and said it can't be done.

I thought that you could get virgin DSL?

Linkeh

Exactly what we thought. We're phoning now, gonna try and kick up a fuss :p

Agreed.

Although I've had MOST success with Virgin's Cable (Doesn't go through the telephone). BRILLIANT connection.

Just to add, BT does have an unlimited cap option? I havent experienced any slow down or anything and with ?25odd a month with free weekend and evening calls with the modem/router phone (that comes free with the option) I cant find any fault with them and i download alot

I had similar problems trying to decide which ISP to go with, i am currently with ukfsn.org they do 8mb for ?19.99 a month, they are capped to 30GB a month peak / 300GB off peak however, but peak times are 8am till 10pm Mon to Fri, Sat-Sun are off peak.

Have a look here for more info http://ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html.

Good thing about them also is they are a monthly contract so if you find you don't like them you are not tied in to a long contract.

I personally haven't had any problems:))

I had similar problems trying to decide which ISP to go with, i am currently with ukfsn.org they do 8mb for ?19.99 a month, they are capped to 30GB a month peak / 300GB off peak however, but peak times are 8am till 10pm Mon to Fri, Sat-Sun are off peak.

Have a look here for more info http://ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html.

Good thing about them also is they are a monthly contract so if you find you don't like them you are not tied in to a long contract.

I personally haven't had any problems:))

I'm on the Home 60 plan with ADSL24 (it all comes from Entanet anyways whether it's UKFSN or ADSL24 or Falconnet) but what swayed me to them is the absolutley fantastic support. They even have a forum with staff members including the MD of the company helping people with problems.

Been rock solid since I got it.

164499542.png

:))

www.bethere.co.uk

Literally no limit well maybe 500GB a month but who goes that far eh!?

?24, free connection fee, great service, 24MB, ADSL+2

You probally won't get 24MB but if you tell me your attenuation I can work out what speeds you will get so that you can see if its the right choice for you.