Montreal vs. Vancouver vs. Toronto

120 members have voted

1. 1. Montreal vs. Vancouver vs. Toronto

• Montreal, QC
    • Toronto, ON
    • Vancouver, BC

lol, I have lived in all those places.

If your primary language is english, montreal will be the death of you. You get overcharged for pretty much everything, nobody will help you with directions, and most of the people will hate you.

Vancouver's a nice city. My brother still lives in Vancouver and loves it. There's a great rave scene there.

Toronto is where my heart is (and Ottawa). I love those places and would move back there today if I could afford to. Oddly enough it was cheaper to live there than here (Red Deer, Alberta).

Really, some love Toronto, some love Vancouver. I would never, EVER recommend an english person to move to Montreal.

I'd say 55% of Toronto is asian (not necessarily Chinese) but it's frustrating non the less.

Depends on where you live. Excluding the other towns/cities in Toronto's CMA about 27.5% of this city is Asian (Southeast, East). It's frustrating in the sense that minorities like to clump together and give other races a weird look whenever they venture into their neighbourhood.

Otherwise, I like living here. Vancouver's a nice place as well; I'd move there willingly for any job opportunities in the future.

If your primary language is english, montreal will be the death of you. You get overcharged for pretty much everything, nobody will help you with directions, and most of the people will hate you.

Really, some love Toronto, some love Vancouver. I would never, EVER recommend an english person to move to Montreal.

Montreal will be a death to you? Geez, I wonder how Paris must be like!

You're way exagerating, especially if the person is living in some parts of Montreal where at least half of the residents speak English like the West Island and Westmount. Even where I live in Chomedey Laval which is a borough just above Montreal, the neighborhood's mostly english so in the stores all around the place, people expect customers to come up and speak English so you'll get an English answer for sure.

Directions? It's like that everywhere, try it where you live and tell me how many helped you out.

People will hate you? The ones who will hate you and who you will hate are the ones who refuse to understand or actually know any English. Think of them as the rednecks of Quebec and you'll do fine.

I reccomend Montreal if you're ready to at least learn the basics of French so you can move around and feel reassured but it's not France or west Belgium, theres plenty of English speaking folks and neighborhoods.

Definitely Vancouver > MTL > Toronto. Last time I went to Toronto with a group of friends, the people there were just rude. I remember we were waiting in line to get into a store and these people didn't even ask us to move aside they were just yelling loudly to get the **** outta their way and pushed their way through. I mean it doesn't take that much just to ask.

I've only been to Toronto, I didn't care for it much. I'm also a Habs fan, so I would probably prefer Montreal for that reason alone.

I've been to all of those cities and it really is hard to decide which is better, I loved them all, but then again I've loved every place I've been to in Canada (Winnipeg, Edmonton, Toronto, PEI, Vancouver, Montreal, they're all awesome). If I had to choose which one I loved the most I guess it would have to be Vancouver.

You're way exagerating, especially if the person is living in some parts of Montreal where at least half of the residents speak English like the West Island and Westmount. Even where I live in Chomedey Laval which is a borough just above Montreal, the neighborhood's mostly english so in the stores all around the place, people expect customers to come up and speak English so you'll get an English answer for sure.

Directions? It's like that everywhere, try it where you live and tell me how many helped you out.

People will hate you? The ones who will hate you and who you will hate are the ones who refuse to understand or actually know any English. Think of them as the rednecks of Quebec and you'll do fine.

I reccomend Montreal if you're ready to at least learn the basics of French so you can move around and feel reassured but it's not France or west Belgium, theres plenty of English speaking folks and neighborhoods.

Dude, it's not that I can't speak french and needed people to speak english to me. I'm fluent in french. I went through school in french immersion. I lived right downtown Montreal and I could feel the constant hostility towards me just because I didn't have a french accent.

live in burnaby (beside vancouver) great place. but i also like toronto and have visited a few times and its a nice place, besides the traffic at 11pm...

MR_Candyman is right about Montreal. If you don't know French then you can't do anything. You can't even talk to the bus drivers there because they just point to their "la langue de travail ou quebec et francaise" stickers. If they don't have it they will just treat you like crap. If you don't know French then you should really stay from Quebec in general.

Please add a button for "NONE!" as I'd prefer to live in a city of 100,000 or less

But technically you live in Toronto, which is a metropolitan city of ~2.5 million!

MR_Candyman is right about Montreal. If you don't know French then you can't do anything.
He's not right about Montreal because in his description, it shows that he's had bad experiences in the months or years living here.

As I said, there are neighborhoods where English is widespread and more spoken than French and I already named those neighborhoods, you can ask anyone living in them to back me up.

Montreal is the only city in Quebec where someone speaking English can be alright but if you pick another city, they'll have to do an effort to learn French.

Null vote, since I've only lived in Vancouver.

It's a great place to live as long as you can fulfill the basic requirement of BC - Bring Cash.

Like many of the people that replied to this topic, I also live in Burnaby.

Don't really understand what all the rave is about. Nightlife is :x , public transport is :angry: and weather is worse, except for the few weeks of sun we get during the summer. The whole city seems to have been planned by a three-year old, with a pint-sized downtown core and massive, bland suburbs stretching for miles in every direction but the sea.

Good for pot smokers and the outdoorsy type, but after Barcelona this place is quiet like a tomb.

And don't even get me started about the people - last week when I was downtown nobody bothered to ask a guy who fell off a bike if he was OK, and last month I remember taking the Skytrain (aka metro) when a guy basically collapsed next to me any nobody else bothered to help him up. Figures - he looked hispanic (by the way: collapsed because of exhaustion after doing a double shift at a construction site).

Montr?al, car je pr?f?re communiquer en fran?ais. Also, Montr?al's culture has a more sophisticated, more European feel; compared to the other two m?tropoles.

As for Toronto, that place sucks, especially their hockey team. As for Vancouver, I haven't been there yet, but I'd definitely check it out for the 2010 Olympics if I could.

And as for a final note, you should have added Calgary to that poll.

Dude, it's not that I can't speak french and needed people to speak english to me. I'm fluent in french. I went through school in french immersion. I lived right downtown Montreal and I could feel the constant hostility towards me just because I didn't have a french accent.

Where in Montreal where you ?

English speaking people are way better living in Montreal than most of Frech speaking people anywhere else in Canada. In fact Everyone from one side to the other saying the same thing. It's always been the same.

Edited by buzz99

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Montreal for 2 years. Nice place. Haven't been to Toronto or Vancouver.

I admit traffic REALLY sucks there! In the short time i was living there i saw the dumbest drivers I've ever seen.

Sadly, you kinda have to speak french at least a little. It's like going to the States and not speaking english: you are bound for trouble, unless you are lucky enough to find nice people. There ARE nice people in Montreal. There are idiots everywhere, including Montreal. You can get by if you speak english, you can go a long way if you speak french, but you'll have it easier if you speak both.

And even then, if you speak french a little, go to Quebec. Even nicer than MTL. There's definitely a euro feel there. There used to be a NHL team there, the Nordiques, if the whole thread was secretly about hockey! :p

• 5 months later...