Going for driving test any tips?

Congratulations. Any tips worth mentioning for people behind you?

Stay calm, keep away from caffeine on the day of your test, and try to get in the examiner's good books.

Don't worry, all awesome drivers fail the first test and then pass on the 2nd :laugh:

It's true. :laugh:

Stay calm, keep away from caffeine on the day of your test, and try to get in the examiner's good books.

It's true. :laugh:

I remember, back in the days when I had to do it, I almost drunk a litre coffee before going in. When I gave up my name she asked if I wanted a cup of coffee. :p

• 4 months later...

Ahh I just wrote one of these guides on my site since I just found one of these driver checklist stuff laying around, this one is for Alberta Canada but most tests should be somewhat similar. I published it here but I'll share the knowledge :p

Trust me I failed my test twice, and I've been driving for a couple years now and no accidents or tickets.

Here's some tips and guide to the Alberta road test. Most tests should be similar, but below is an example of the Class 5 Probationary examiner's checklist. I'll go over what each means.

94907529al6.jpg

1. Just your car equipment in general, like signals, wipers, whatever. Better know how to use those. I didn't use the steering wheel correctly with hand positions on left turns, so I got owned 15 points. The guy can put that in category 2 as well.

2. Just hand position in steering. Do two handed hand-over-hand steering at all times.

3. Generally the smoothness of straightening the wheels after a turn. Watch out for torque steer if you are flooring it on a FWD on a turn :p (Don't do that heh)

4, 5, 6. Do yourself a favor. Drive a dang automatic to your test. We are in Canada.

7. Most people should not have a problem in this area, but just don't pull your handbrake around a corner, etc.

8. Signal at the right time. Don't do it too far ahead, don't do it too late. Around 20-30m depending on speed is good. The class 5 basic is in city so that's a good reference. I failed my driving test twice before and one guy docked me marks there, so it really depends on who you get.

9. This one is self explanatory. Just signal whenever you are turning your wheel unless you are following the bend of the road.

img0208xj0.jpg

1. If you are driving an auto, just set your vehicle in Park and activate handbrakes. If standard use gear 1 or reverse and handbrake. I don't see why you are using a standard transmission for this test though lol.

2. Look left and look right when backing. Check mirrors. Not hard.

3. Just be confident in your parking and do it right the first time. For parking uphill or downhill make sure you're close enough to the curb (Look at right mirror) and make sure your wheels are right. Set your car in neutral and slowly let it hit the curb and stop.

4. Noob fail.

5. I don't know why you would have this problem, unless you are driving a standard. Or you just forgot your brakes, but if that's the case, then you deserve to be docked marks. :p

6. Just be confident, don't do it too quickly and not too slowly.

img0209wk6.jpg

1. Just check your mirrors. It's ok to exaggerate a bit.

2. Shoulder check. Do it even when you are exiting a parallel parking spot. Also when you are driving in a residential area and making a right turn and the right lane is a parking lane, you still need to shoulder check. Signal, shoulder check, as if there will be cars there.

3. Be confident. Be yourself :p

4. Noob driver alert.

5. Don't tailgate the guy?

6. Just check when it's safe to do so.

7. I don't know how you would get docked points here... read the dang book when you got your learner's. :p

img0210qx0.jpg

1. Just always stop before those lines. Bumper before it. At all times. Just do it. But when you do it wrong, it's ok, you won't fail. The moment you shift your car into reverse, it's an auto fail. It's only 10 points.

2. Yeah and don't stop too far back.

3. When in doubt, unless it's prohibited (See instant fail section) then stop, it's only 10 points. JUST DON'T OBSTRUCT TRAFFIC OR VIOLATE LIGHTS/SIGNS. That's an insta-fail (Again, see instant fail section). Sometimes if you don't make a full stop you fail.

4. Do it. Before the pedestrian route.

5. Keep your head up.

6. Get enough practice :p

7. Left lane to left lane.

8. Get enough practice.

9. Right lane to right lane. Even if it's a parking lane, go into it, and then signal left into the actual driving lane.

10. No idea.

11. Don't floor the gas pedal.

12. Don't drive too slow. Natural.

img0211qt3.jpg

E.

1. Just expect it coming. Look at the pedestrian signs on the side to see if it's a stale green. Don't make sudden stops or whatever, just don't scare the guy next to you. And don't run red lights.

2. As before.

3. Watch for people and traffic and how the signs appear.

F.

1. Don't brake at every controlled intersection and driveway. It may make you look good but you can get screwed for as bad as traffic obstruction. Just cover your brakes.

2. You know what? When you have right of way (Like an uncontrolled intersection) it's ok to be a bit hesitant. The max you might get is just a few points off. However if you automatically assumed own right of way and you don't you fail.

3. Aggressive driving only gets you 10? Nice.

G.

1. That's assuming you aren't speeding. But let's say you are approaching a bend of the road and it tells you to slow down. Go around the suggested speed limit, also depending on traffic.

2. If it's raining, go slower. Just explain to your examiner. They'll love you for that.

img0212kc7.jpg

1. Well if you get over 75 points you fail. It's sorta hard though. I only got 15. (I got 25 on my first one, 40 on the second one because the guy was picky. I failed both though lol. :p The one I passed was exceptional... if only my steering was better. But I do one handed driving anyway, so what the heck :p )

2. Let's say you are making a turn and there's a pedestrian route. The moment the guy steps on the road and you have a stop sign and they are approaching from the other side, you FAIL. Make sure that when you go through a pedestrian crosswalk no one is on the road at all, regardless.

3. Don't run red lights. Also on right turns, make full stop at red lights. And if it's green, go. Don't freaking stop. That's how I failed my second test. It was otherwise perfect (Also for traffic obstruction)

4. Make a full stop before a stop sign. BEFORE it. Or the line. However some examiners would accept you going past the stop sign, then make a FULL stop, as long as it is 3m before the intersection. It's ok to make a stop before it though.

5. Don't speed, especially through school zones. If it says 50, drive 45. If it's 30, do 25. Don't go right at speed limit to allow some tolerance, and don't drive too slow or you MAY fail.

6. I was explained that it was doing something "otherwise illegal", I don't know.

7. Just don't do it lol. Watch out for that in parallel parking and hill parking when rolling.

8. Slow down to yield speed at an uncontrolled intersection. Usually what happens 80% of the time with uncontrolled are roads with no marked middle line. SLOW DOWN TO YIELD SPEED CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH. Or you fail. If there's a car and you are going straight and it's on your right, STOP. They have the right of way. I know it feels weird but that's the truth. If you go you get an insta-fail for this and right of way violation. Just do it. Cars may honk at you at the back if you stop but for the sake of this test, do it. That's how I failed my first one because the guy yielded to me, but even if they stop and yield to you just dang it stop.

9. Yeah that. Don't stop when unnecessary if there's traffic behind you. Got to be confident. So if you are at a green light turning right and there's cars behind you, just slow down to yield and go. Don't freaking stop or you're screwed.

10. No idea what it means, but when you take the test you have to be pretty good at driving right?

11. Good luck :p

12. Just make sure you're good at driving lol. These are basics.

13. It's quite vague but don't run people off the road etc. and make sure no guy honks at you for cutting them off or something

14. Not really applicable I guess.

Generally speaking:

- Just be good at driving

- Be natural - don't suck up to the guy, although observe the laws. You'll forget it 3 days later but you know.

- Be alert at all times of everything around you.

- Study this guide.

- Make sure the guy's happy :p

- And when you have any doubts, ask him, they will explain to you BEFORE THE TEST BEGINS.

- Know your vehicle well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember when i did my test, i didn't even get to do the whole thing because the officer said, "alright i see you know how to drive so let's just go back" LOL

i drove to an empty road at 25MPH then in reverse at 15MPH, then he asked me to do a 3 points turn which i heard lot of people complaining about that but for me was a piece of cake and right after that he asked me to drive back to the DMV ;)

Always Kept both hands on the wheel, and no problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Soo...umm

went took me written test........passed it first try

went got the car I was to take it in, came back......took test, seemed to be going okay, I wouldn't say my absolute best but okay nevertheless...

on the last leg of test...I was suppose to get in turning lane at a light to turn down street to go bacc to the DMV

..........lost my mind for a second and failed to get in turning lane

So......uhm failed, she said because I didn't follow the direction when she told me to get in turning lane to turn

Got my "learners permit" and she told me to "just come back in 2 weeks and try again, you'll get it"....

Hmm.....if you fail first time, do they give all the failers a learners permit??........or is it at her discretion for her to give you the learners permit?

• 3 weeks later...
I failed because I went 2 mph over the speed limit. I was going downhill on a shaky road residential road that had a 25 mph posted limit. I was driving in an 82 Camaro that had a bouncy needle. In short, I had my foot on the brake and the needle was literally bouncing between 22 and 27 mph so she failed me.

I never realized that until I took the test, seeing as I don't worry about going a few mph over the posted limit. But she told me "you went above the posted limit, which is quite simply - breaking the law". So the advice I can give is to make sure you don't speed. Going slower isn't against the law, but speeding is.

Yes, going too slow isn't great either, but they are looking to see that you are close to posted limits without exceeding them because it shows you are paying attention to your speed, as well as the road. Makes sense ;)

Someone told me to tell the instructor to buckle up if I noticed them not buckling up. So...I fasten my seatbelt and then I see her just sitting there. I was like "can you please buckle up?" and she just said "nope". I'm thinking to myself...what the hell is going on? So I simply ask, "why not?"

"We don't fasten our seatbelts in case we need to quickly exit the vehicle" she says...

"Even if it's moving?" I inquired.

"Yes, it's for our safety, you don't need to know anything more", she snaps back to me.

So I just kept my mouth shut and failed my test :p

Don't worry, all awesome drivers fail the first test and then pass on the 2nd :laugh:

Actually, in the US you can get a ticket for going to slow. So that is in fact, against the law as well.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as speeding goes, I only got a 'minor' strike on my test for doing that. There was a dual carriage way that had road works on it, so the speed limit was reduced. When we pulled onto the road, I missed one of the signs, so I figured "It's gotta be around 40mph", so I just did 40 and hoped it was right - there were no other cars around to judge my speed with. Then I saw a sign in the distance saying 60mph, so figured I had just guessed the wrong speed, so brought my speed up to 60 before I got to the sign.

The examiner then explained at the end of the test that the road was actually a 40 up until that sign, then it changed to 60. I explained what I did and why I did it, we both had a laugh about it, she just gave me a minor and I passed my test (:

• 2 weeks later...

how much do drivers ed classes help? because its $200 but I have heard they help ALOT so im thinking of thanking one

Im just glad here in oregon you dont have to parralell park(at least my brother and sister didnt)

• 3 weeks later...

Drivers Education helped me a lot, I wouldn't be driving if I didn't take the class. Anyways on the test just be sure to drive safely and carefully, don't do anything stupid, and don't speed. Don't be afraid either, being afraid just makes the test worse.

I got my license at the age of 24, and believe me when I say don't make the same mistake.

Going anywhere was difficult and sometimes just impractical, so much of the college life went wasted... :(

Tips for WA state:

0. Get your paperwork ready: driving permit and proof of insurance (any goodwill is good).

1. Always stop before crossing a sidewalk like a stop sign and physically move your heads to check for pedestrians.

2. Hug the curve while turning right (swing wide "enough" and points will be deducted).

3. Always turn into the path closest to the entering point.

4. Always signal for the test when leaving the parking lot and returning to it (even if it seems insignificant).

5. Confirm the action the instructor wants you to take.

6. Slow down gradually and stop BEFORE reaching the STOP sign.

7. Check your rear mirror when slowing down or stopping (make this noticeable).

8. When changing to left lane: signal, check rear mirror, check left mirror, turn your head left around, then change if safe.

9. When changing to right lane: signal, check rear mirror, check right mirror, turn your head right around, then change if safe.

10. When backing around a corner, stop at the point the curve begins and do a 360 check for cars and pedestrians.

11. When stopping the car, make sure the you can see the wheels of the car in front.

12. Keep both hands on the steering wheel at all time (to show that you're in control).

Well, I got docked all 6 points for making my right turn wide "enough" and 2 points on parallel parking (not close enough to curb).

My final score was 92/100, and you pass with >= 80/100.

• 2 weeks later...

These are a few tips from an ex-instructor in the UK.

• Before your test get your instructor to take you on a route that you have never been on. There is a strong possibility that you will see roads that you have never been on and you need to make sure you?re on the ball. 'I've never been on this road before' is not an excuse.
    Get all the paperwork ready the night before. I have listened to many stories of people forgetting their paperwork.
    Make sure you have your glasses if you need them.
    Tell the instructor you?re nervous. They will expect it but some are better at putting you at ease than others.
    Be courteous to the examiner, shouldn?t make any difference but doesn?t hurt.
    Make sure all your mirrors are set correctly before you start the test. Once you start dont touch them.
    Talk your self through your manoeuvres in your mind and have your window open a little. You may hear a car before you see it. Remember observations are just as important as positioning.
    Keep you speed close to the limit but predict what is going on ahead, are traffic lights about to change from green to red, are you approaching a roundabout, busy junction, school etc...
    Know where your ancillary controls are. If it starts to rain and you don?t put your wipers on you will fail, and if it stops raining then try to remember to turn them off.
    If pedestrians are at a traffic controlled crossing be ready for the lights to change. If they dont then your demonstrating awareness and predicting possible scenarios.
    If you do something stupid and think you have failed, dont give up. On my test (way back in '92) I stalled twice in the middle of a busy junction and was convinced I had failed, but because I kept control of the car at all times I was only marked down as a minor and passed first time.

I will update this list as I think of more but these are a goo:)start. :)

Feel free to ask any questions and I will help where possible.

J.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Stay relaxed. My driver's "test" was kind of a joke. I just drove around the block; the woman kept talking to me and it was really weird because she was distracting me a lot by talking about her son

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my test on monday, I am bricking it. I am pretty confident in my driving skill but I make silly mistakes and in the UK they get you for the tinyest things, and I really don't want to fail. Been reading through the tips, but looks at the other comments it just makes me worry even more!!! haha.

Not good.

Test 29th march 12:43 noon.

!

I really don't get why the UK driving test centres operate such weird times - my test was something like 11:51.

Just be calm, don't do anything stupid, and remember that the examiner is a human being too! I spent most of my driving test chatting to him about what I was doing at uni - and by doing that I felt ALOT more relaxed than I would have if I was just driving around in silence.

Don't drive to slowly, because, you know, "if you're driving 5 under the limit, the guy behind you is driving 10 under the limit, and the guy behind him is driving 15 under the limit."

Yes, that is an exact quote from the DMV guy who failed me on my first drivers test, that being the reason for failing me.

Makes ya wonder, huh.

-Spenser

And the 6th car behind or whatever is doing what going 5mph in the opposite direction? lol

I really don't get why the UK driving test centres operate such weird times - my test was something like 11:51.

Just be calm, don't do anything stupid, and remember that the examiner is a human being too! I spent most of my driving test chatting to him about what I was doing at uni - and by doing that I felt ALOT more relaxed than I would have if I was just driving around in silence.

That's great advice, even though I'm not from the UK, during my driving test I did the same. The examiner and I spoke about things I like to do in my free time, what I'm doing at school right now and about music. He was a musician just as I am. Definitely helped with my nerves. smile.gif

I found my stuff which is all good.

And yeah I prefer talking when driving but if I talk my mind wanders really easily, whereas if it's in silence I can think about it all (yes, simple minded :p). Has anyone got any tips on what to revise on the night before?

Thanks,

Nathan

Just make sure you know what the trickier signs mean, remember the speed limits of the different types of road, and the breaking distances of common speeds in case they ask.

Oh, and make sure you know how everything on your car works (i.e. they can ask you to turn on your fog lights, demist the rear windscreen, etc)

Just make sure you know what the trickier signs mean, remember the speed limits of the different types of road, and the breaking distances of common speeds in case they ask.

Oh, and make sure you know how everything on your car works (i.e. they can ask you to turn on your fog lights, demist the rear windscreen, etc)

I know what most of the signs are, it's actually watching the signs which is a problem. I will have to put extra attention into that. (Today i was down a one way street without realising).

And breaking distances, hmm i'll have to revise that. Thanks for that tip

And yeah it's lucky because my instructor has the same car as me, so it's same controls.