iWork 08 Trial

a Beta of the .docx converter is already out for mac but iWork08 has built in support for .docx and .xlsx

Pages

Open for business.

Import your Microsoft Word documents into Pages ’08 with ease. Whether they’re Microsoft Office Word 2007 (Office Open XML) or earlier Word files, Pages will open them. Pages imports not only the text, but also the styles, tables, inline and floating objects, charts, footnotes, endnotes, bookmarks, hyperlinks, lists, sections, change tracking, and other elements of your original Word document.

Keynote

Open to possibilities.

Versatile in so many ways, Keynote imports presentations created in Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (Office Open XML) as well as earlier versions. It also imports AppleWorks presentation documents.

Numbers

Numbers excels at Excel.

Numbers handily imports spreadsheets created in earlier Excel formats, as well as Excel 2007 documents created in new Office Open XML formats.

If you have AppleWorks documents, you can give them a brand-new home in Numbers. They import quickly so you can take advantage of all the flexibility and power of Numbers ’08.

correction: iWork '08 has support for OPENING .docx, .pptx and .xslx... but NOT SAVING... unfortunately

can it save .doc? I'd probably use .doc more then .docx I don't know how many people have office 2007 yet

^^^

But that is only a minor inconvenience... i wouldn't wanna save stuff in that format anyway, so a simple "save as" and problem fixed! God, i love the new iWork....

EDIT: post meant for menge.

Cloudstrife: yes, iWork can save as .doc, .ppt and i guess that now as .xls, keep in mind though that some formatting is lost in the name of interoperability, if you want full quality graphs and animations save in their default formats.

Anyone tried the "instant alpha" yet??? is it as any good?

can it save .doc? I'd probably use .doc more then .docx I don't know how many people have office 2007 yet

yes it can save .doc, .ppt. and .xls :)

yes it can save .doc, .ppt. and .xls :)

Thats all I need. I rarely share those type of files mostly just type up school stuff then print it out, but being able to read Office07 and older and being able to save as old office formats is perfect for me! I know you will loose some formating and what not but long as the option is there then I most likely only need iWork08, witch is awesome because it's much lower price then Office08 will be :).

Yeah, the .docx support had me on my feet cheering. Just the other day my father was mocking me about my inability to open his .docx document on my Mac (Pages and Word alike)

Well dad...IN YOUR FACE! HA!

(oh god I hope he doesn't read this :wacko: )

But I have already picked up my copy of iWork from the Apple Store (gezz people were fighting each other to get their copy) and its great. I love what they have done with Keynote and I'll be using that for many months to come especially with school season fast approaching again.

The new dynamic tool bar is great on all the apps, so I will be having a great time with it :)

So far i am loving it... i've been wanting to get rid of office for mac since even before i installed it. Just one little issue: does anyone know whether this works with the new formats from office 2007 (.docx - stupid Microsoft trying to make things more difficult :p ). If not, will free converters be released?

Today i got rid of windows in boot camp (will still have it in parallels though), tomorrow i might delete office... looks like a great week so far :)

I imported a file I have been using in Office 2007 on my windows machine in Numbers and it worked perfectly. Ok, not perfect. The graph was a bit different, but barely noticeable. But as always, YMMV.

Definitely enjoying Pages and Numbers. And even though I have absolutely no reason to use Keynote, it is still a great app the few times I played around with it.

No reason to have Office now. I'm loving it.

So I have to wonder if this will be the end of Office for Mac? I mean a lot of us are going to switch from Office to iWorks now and there's really no reason to purchase Office anymore, so will Microsoft stop making Office? Just a thought...

So I have to wonder if this will be the end of Office for Mac? I mean a lot of us are going to switch from Office to iWorks now and there's really no reason to purchase Office anymore, so will Microsoft stop making Office? Just a thought...

Office 2008 is on the way already, delayed somewhat.

Radish?

Office 2008 is on the way already, delayed somewhat.

Radish?

Yeah, but will this be the last version to come out? I guess this one will really be the deciding factor, it will show us whether or not Mac users are willing to purchase a product that Apple is now directly competing against.

Yeah, but will this be the last version to come out? I guess this one will really be the deciding factor, it will show us whether or not Mac users are willing to purchase a product that Apple is now directly competing against.

I agree, but there will always be people who head to the de-facto office suite because of the advanced features over iWork.

Radish?

I agree, but there will always be people who head to the de-facto office suite because of the advanced features over iWork.

Radish?

Well the good thing is that Apple does listen to their customers, so eventually those advanced features will make their way into iWork, provided Microsoft doesn't have a patent on them and threatens to :pe :p

Microsoft would have to face a big drop in sales to give up its Mac version of Office. There are many businesses who use Macs but need the full blown office suite.

iWork will only hurt Microsoft in the home market and I think Microsoft is willing to lose a few % points of market share as long as Apple doesn't attempt to make a Pro version.

If Apple decides to do a Pro version, then all bets are off of course.

I gave up Microsoft Office 2004 two years ago and never looked back. Loving iWork '08 so far and the Contextual Formatting Bar is a great addition. I always found it a bit annoying I had to have so many utility windows open (Inspector, Fonts, Colors) at the same time, but now there's no need to anymore.

iWork is finally mature enough to replace Office. Thank God I don't have to use the behemoth that is Office:Mac anymore. Coming from an InDesign background, Pages now feels a lot like that. I love it.

iWork is finally mature enough to replace Office. Thank God I don't have to use the behemoth that is Office:Mac anymore. Coming from an InDesign background, Pages now feels a lot like that. I love it.

Agreed!

only problem is I can't find a suitable export format for Keynote to show transitions, hah. (other than quicktime but not all school computers have quicktime)
You could always export it as a QT movie and then convert it to MPEG.
Perhaps this could stimulate a bit of competition? Since iWork is pretty much the only decent competitor Office has had on the Mac in... well, ever, really... in the future we could see some additional Office apps? Like Access or Publisher? A full(er) version of Office for the Mac would be great both for competition and Apple's appeal to business users.

Oh, man, that title bar is dark.

That's the UNO Shade theme, although I do believe Leopard has darker unified windows than what's featured in Tiger.