Unboxing the new iMac

When they said they were available little did we know that those stores already had them ready to sell. :) To follow youtube unpacking videos and reports that some users want to skin their new brushed metal look.

According to some reports I've read, the new revision actually isn't any thinner than before. Is this true?

Very nice, it's certainly a classy product. I noticed the other day Dell is now selling the XPS 1330, clearly modeled after the MacBook. I wonder if all-in-one designs will become popular among other PC builders now? Surely Apple doesn't hold any patents on the idea.

I like the keyboards (maybe not the feel of using them though) but I think the iMac update is crap. Add a black border and an aluminum enclosure and people drool. They really didn't do much everyone. Get rid of the chin and THEN I'll be impressed.

I like the keyboards (maybe not the feel of using them though) but I think the iMac update is crap. Add a black border and an aluminum enclosure and people drool. They really didn't do much everyone. Get rid of the chin and THEN I'll be impressed.

They added FireWire 800, gigabit Ethernet, a Core 2 Duo Extreme, and all the processors as a whole are faster than before. Not to mention the 20'' and 24'' both dropped by about $200 each.

Getting rid of 'the chin' effect and THEN you'll be impressed.

And there I was thinking that the addition of glass screen, aluminum brushed enclosure, 0.33 inches thin, better graphics, faster processor, bigger hd and iLife 08 bundled in was impressive.

Just no pleasing some people.

Now that's thin. Coincidentally, I used an iMac for the first time today and I loved it.

According to some reports I've read, the new revision actually isn't any thinner than before. Is this true?

My iMac G5 is 2" thick, the new one is 1.24".

Getting rid of 'the chin' effect and THEN you'll be impressed.

And there I was thinking that the addition of glass screen, aluminum brushed enclosure, 0.33 inches thin, better graphics, faster processor, bigger hd and iLife 08 bundled in was impressive.

Just no pleasing some people.

Tell me about it, I can't wait to get a few shifts of OT to get one of these babys. Let me correct you on one point, the keyboard is .33" thick, the iMac is 1.24".

I might be the only one, but I think it and the keyboard are freaking ugly. :huh:

I totally agree, the older one looked way better, new one looks horrible.

My iMac G5 is 2" thick, the new one is 1.24".

Tell me about it, I can't wait to get a few shifts of OT to get one of these babys. Let me correct you on one point, the keyboard is .33" thick, the iMac is 1.24".

Yeah, me too. I'm thinking of working like a slave for a few weeks so I can buy one of these :D

The keyboard is a bit of a shot back to the 1980's- it works on the laptops but it doesn't look right on the iMac.

All in all, I don't think this aluminium look gels as much as the white look.

The keyboard is a bit of a shot back to the 1980's- it works on the laptops but it doesn't look right on the iMac.

All in all, I don't think this aluminium look gels as much as the white look.

I think it looks damn fantastic.

dsc00287od0.jpg

I think it looks damn fantastic.

dsc00287od0.jpg

I agree, especially from that angle. Damn you Apple, you make me want your new iMac even though mine is perfectly fine. The worst part is that by the time I'd actually have a valid need for this (say a year or so down the road,) something even more beautiful will be available.

Looks ugly as arse to me. :x

Not to mention, a glossy display?! My God, Apple, why? Things might look better to your average joe but say goodbye to anyone who planned on designing graphics or editing photos. It's enclosure design may be thinner but it really hasn't changed at all (nothing like changes between the G3/G4/G5 iMacs). And it still has less USB ports than the Mac mini, which makes no sense. Other than it's impressive tech specs, worst iMac ever IMO.

Yea unboxing my new iMac was something special for me. This is my first iMac and I must say...HOT! It just looks so much bigger in front of you. there's like an inch gap from the top to the bottom of my Jerker desk shelf. Tight fit but oh so perfect.

Looks ugly as arse to me. :x

Not to mention, a glossy display?! My God, Apple, why? Things might look better to your average joe but say goodbye to anyone who planned on designing graphics or editing photos. It's enclosure design may be thinner but it really hasn't changed at all (nothing like changes between the G3/G4/G5 iMacs). And it still has less USB ports than the Mac mini, which makes no sense. Other than it's impressive tech specs, worst iMac ever IMO.

Well, it's the average Joes of the world that drives sales for Apple. As far as they're concerned, if you're a pro customer, you need to spend more money on a Mac Pro workstation.

And you really think this is worse than the original G3 iMac? That one only had one USB 1.1 port, didn't it?