Do best buy employee discounts apply toward computers

Could someone who works at best buy (or knows someone who does), tell me if best buy employee's get a great discounts on desktop / laptop computers, and if so how much. I know someone who is getting their son a computer from best buy but also works there, and is asking the dad to play 1/2 on the full cost of the laptop. Just wondering if she is getting a great deal on it from best buy and trying to screw him over.

The laptop in question can be found below

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1180743549187

Edited by warwagon

IIRC, Best Buy employees pay whatever the value of the product is before they mark up the price for retail. So, they might get great savings on some things but no savings on others, all depending on how much money Best Buy actually makes on the product.

I think bangbang023 is a Best Buy employee. Maybe he'll stop in the thread and answer your question.

One of my hommies works at a BB in Ashville, he reported to me last Christmas that they pay only 10% above cost. Could be a store-by-store decision.

I would strongly suggest against getting it at best buy, much better deals can be found elsewhere

And yea, Dell is my preference as well, and Brandon pointed you to a good system

When I worked at best buy, we had manufacturers cost + 5%, which was nothing on computers (they got more money selling plans/accessories with them, just like game systems)

I used to work at BBY, and no there isn't much of a discount on computers. The Employee discount is 5% above company cost, and since usually computers are sold right around cost (and sometimes less) there isn't any discount. (btw, the discount is the same company-wide...NOT on a store-by-store basis)

Where the discount really lies in in the accys. which are usually marked-up 150%-1000%. For instance a $30 USB cable is about $3 at employee cost.

When it comes to desktops at most an employee will get off of it is about $50, and that is if it is a high-end box...the low-end junk is usually nothing off. And forget about getting anything off of laptops, they are sold right at cost.