Satellite Dish Question

Currently we have a lot of cable boxes in the house, and my dad was thinking of switching to satellite.

I told him it would be more costly to hook up 4-5 satellites. He's convinced it's only 2 dishes per HOUSE. I told him to look at our next door neighbors who had 4 hanging off the side of their house.

So my question is, what satellite company would have this 2 dish network for an entire house, with unlimited boxes? :laugh:

I asked what company it was, and he doesn't know... I'm 99.9% positive it's 1 dish, per box.

Extra dishes are for things like international channels and whatnot. You essentially need only 1, no matter the amount of receivers.

yep 1 cable per box so u can have 2 lines running in the house into a switch that splits out to 4 boxes

but say the entire family (3 tv's at once) all want to watch something different?

It's no problem, at all. If you need more than two boxes per dish, you simply have to get a "Multi-switch" which the installer should be willing to install for you. You can have 8 boxes all watching something completely different then.

Glad to see you followed the link I so kindly provided.

I did read the link you provided to me, but it made me confused on these parts:

Can I watch more then one channel at a time?

Not with a single satellite receiver. If you wish to watch two or more different shows on two or more different TV's you will need more then one satellite receiver or a Dual Tuner receiver

How many televisions can I hook up to a single satellite receiver?

You can connect as many televisions as you like to one receiver, although they will all be watching the same channel

I wasn't too sure if you need a multi-switch or what. I was clarifying that you can possibly run 3-4 boxes off of 1 satellite dish..

So maybe satellite isn't so bad afterwards, i just hope they offer HD channels.

But each box will need its own subscription, right?

DirecTV requires a $4.99 monthly charge "mirroring fee" for each receiver. Your provider's charges may vary.