?Gamercard? spotted in UT3 demo ? is this PS3?s answer to the 360?s Gamertag?

UT2k7_Image02-thumb.jpg

During a playable demo of Unreal Tournament III at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival, we spotted something very interesting on the game?s mIt?s called Gamercard and it doesn?t seem too unlikely a possibility that this will turn out to be a unique player identity system, not entirely dissimilar to the Xbox 360?s Gamertag system that manages player stats and achievements. aWe quizzed Epic?s Mark Rein about and he did little to dispel our assumptions saying quickly ?Oops, you shouldn?t have seen that?.??t have seen that?. We would have liked to grabbed a pic, and were little deterred by the venue?s strict no camera phone policy and dodgy lighting, however Mark Rein?s rapid covering of the projector with his hand put pay to that cunning idea.

Needless to say, we have little to go on. It is accessed with the Triangle button if b>It is also anyone?s guess whether this is a future Sony project that will cover the whole of the PlayStation Network or whether it is simply a feature of UTr it is simply a feature of UT3. But I?m betting that the secrecy surrounding it indicates a new PS3 feature. More news as we get it.

Source: http://www.games-digest.com/2007/08/gamercard-spott.html

My guess is if this does turn out to be a "gamercard" it will probably be UT3 only... but who knows... we have heard Sony is working really close with Epic just now to help with UT3 on the PS3. Maybe Sony are trying things out with UT3 cause of this?

i really do hope that sony are implementing something like this into the PS3. thats the main thing that sony are missing out on with PSN, a gamer profile system.

What would be a good idea, to get the PS3 / 360 / PC working together is have each player have a gamercard.

Then the gamercard for the 360 is literally the gamercard on the 360 account, ties right in, then you have no real problems having 360 / ps3 together.

The article says that this "gamercard" is simlar to Xbox's "gamertag," but if the author saw the text "Gamercard" in the game it would be referencing Xbox's system, which uses that same name (see here). Sony couldn't have a Gamercard system called Gamercard without getting into trouble with Microsoft, no?

Maybe the demo was being played on a Xbox 360 rigged to work with a PS3 controller. :D :alien: :shiftyninja:

The article says that this "gamercard" is simlar to Xbox's "gamertag," but if the author saw the text "Gamercard" in the game it would be referencing Xbox's system, which uses that same name (see here). Sony couldn't have a Gamercard system called Gamercard without getting into trouble with Microsoft, no?

Maybe the demo was being played on a Xbox 360 rigged to work with a PS3 controller. :D :alien: :shiftyninja:

Yea, they better think up a different name... like Stationcard or some crap.... lol, whatever happened to Entitlements? :laugh:

A gamertag just keeps info about which games u've played and how much u played them etcc, right?? and then u can hav it as a wee picture?? Does Resistance not allow u do such things u can link ur PSN on there website and it somes all ur stats etc?

Yea, they better think up a different name... like Stationcard or some crap.... lol, whatever happened to Entitlements? :laugh:

lol

Looks like Sony's on a roll and is determined to rip as much as possible from Xbox 360 :p

A gamertag just keeps info about which games u've played and how much u played them etcc, right??

No, Gamertag is your online alias/nickname. Whatever you want to call it.

Gamercard is where your reputation, the list of games, gamerpoints and gamer picture are displayed etc.

What if it's a secret weapon? :ninja:

"OMG That dude on the other team has the GAMERCARD!"

"HOLY **** RUN FOR COVER!!!"

Hey, your guess is as good as mine :p

What if it's a secret weapon? :ninja:

"OMG That dude on the other team has the GAMERCARD!"

"HOLY **** RUN FOR COVER!!!"

Hey, your guess is as good as mine :p

Yes, and out of the card jumps a whiny 13 yr old brat from XBL to curse your head off :rofl:

I would run from that :laugh:

-Spenser

I think there is some sort of trademark issues with GamerCard and GamerTag... but who knows, we'll see. Someone do a patent search! :shiftyninja: :D

There is no copyright on neither of the names, so I doubt that there will be a fight because of it.

ah, didn't read the whole thread, just first and last post. That's what happens after a 15 hours shift...

15 hours... ouch :/

I'll forgive you, heh. :yes: