• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Over all, are you glad you switched to Vista?

ViperAFK    797

Yes, there are some minor problems like my computer not sleeping (But I believe it's a problem with the nvidia drivers), but overall it's performance has been on par with XP, slower in some areas, faster in others. Vista has been rock solid, I haven't had one crash or hang. With newest nvidia drivers all my games perform well. It's got a lot of features which I would miss in XP (Start menu search ftw) And I love the way explorer is set up in vista.

1759    1

Yes.

It's not pefect, but for the most part, it's an improvement over XP in a lot of areas. It does take up more resources, but I felt the same when I first used XP compared to 2000 or 98. And at the beginning, games ran worse on XP than 98 (or not at all), until the developers caught up.

UAC doesn't bother me that much, as I hardly ever see it, but at the same time, I wish MS would just drop the secure desktop thing, and just go to a sudo password prompt. It seems like the secure desktop has a lag for it to be displayed.

raskren    0

I'm in an XP-free household and nearly XP-free workplace. I use the IE6 VHD image every day for testing websites and web applications (it is an XP image, obviously) and it is painful compared to my experience with Vista. I am now completely accustomed to using the Window key to launch pretty much everything very quickly. I also make extensive use of the search box at the top of every Explorer window to filter the view.

Even though I lost a few fps in games at home, I'm never going back to XP.

devn00b    62

I love vista, and to be honest its the 1st OS i've ever gone out and payed for. Sure there are some little quirks here and there, but overall it gives a better end user experience in my case. UAC keeps the wife and daughter from messing up the pc wich is a definite plus.

Overall i give it (Y) (Y)

raskren    0
Yes.

It's not pefect, but for the most part, it's an improvement over XP in a lot of areas. It does take up more resources, but I felt the same when I first used XP compared to 2000 or 98. And at the beginning, games ran worse on XP than 98 (or not at all), until the developers caught up.

UAC doesn't bother me that much, as I hardly ever see it, but at the same time, I wish MS would just drop the secure desktop thing, and just go to a sudo password prompt. It seems like the secure desktop has a lag for it to be displayed.

Secure desktop is optional. The setting is in secpol.msc (Security Policy). This makes UAC prompts appear in a regular Aero window.

Minifig    40
didn't liked the x64 version, felt like it was grabbing me in the balls

What do you mean by that?

I'm running the 64 bit version and I've not had a problem at all so far with it. :)

Redmak    355

I love it :)

1759    1
Secure desktop is optional. The setting is in secpol.msc (Security Policy). This makes UAC prompts appear in a regular Aero window.

Thanks for letting me know about that, I didn't know you could change it.

Home Premium doesn't have the Security Policy control, but I did find how to change the Secure Desktop setting in the Registry, and it seems to work fine.

My computer at home has Vista Business, so I at least I know where to go for that.

backdrifter    13

I'm totally glad for the switch, it's a lot more stable, aero is still very enjoyable after a month of use and I just love to discover new small details here and there. Apart from a few compatibility issues which I solve with vmware, I had no issues with it.

Mordkanin    225

Know that disabling the secure desktop introduces a pretty big security flaw into UAC: Apps can now manipulate the UAC window, and falsify input on it.

Meyithi    0

I'm not particularly glad, then again I'm not disappointed.

Which sums up Vista I guess, it's just boring, or maybe I'm just bored with Windows.

DreadBoat89    0

am i glad that i switched? yes, extremely glad with all the new stuff. plus my system runs faster than it did when xp was installed

would i recommend people to go out and buy vista? maybe... depending on what they need it for

pmh    0

not at all....

I'm switching back to xp pro as soon as I finish up a couple of projects. Vista just doesn't suit my needs the way xp did/does.

bdsams    365

very happy with vista, no regrets

LewisBraid    0

i love it. neeed a new theme badly as its current is rather basic/crap.. but other than that its great.

blade1269    86

Hey,

Great Never going back..

l3lueMage    1

I used it, was great for a while, until I realized no driver even the latest modded ones use my graphic card fully on vista, in CS:S I would get maybe 80FPS, while on WinXP I get around 150-200FPS...Also some applications i needed for School did not work on vista :(

Tech Star    254

I like it, but I miss XP. :(

jimbo11883    1

Apart from a few small annoyances, and some design decisions I really don't agree with, I'm happy. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to switch back, and would miss the Aero interface and fun stuff I can do with it.

Berserk87    49

i think i may make the switch to vista soon.

i also LOVE the clean/clean vista themes im seeing posted here.

+LogicalApex    1,747

My switch to Vista has been a mixed affair... On one hand I love it for some reasons and I hate it for some others. But it is always this way for me when I switch or upgrade OSs ;).

Perhaps you should let the mis-informed staff know about this 30-day trial for Vista. :whistle:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=512102

People seem to say this a lot... I can understand the reasoning on MS's part to ensure that as it makes the most sense for them...

I only go by the EULA though as that is the contract...

I posted a nice piece about this issue in another thread you can view below:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=588776447

Vista is offered in "trial" mode as odd as it seems. Though I do understand MS not wanting this a common thought as it would make their piracy fight hard.

We can also expect them to word the EULA better in the future, maybe with a SP ;)

Rob2687    72

A lot of people seem to find the UAC thing to be annoying but once I got all the essential stuff installed and set up I hardly have to deal with it. It only takes a second to click the allow button anyways.

There are a couple nice new things here and there but nothing amazing.

MrKuro    0

truthfully .. . not really happy with vista. . my main new laptop (xps m1330) is vista, and I still prefer my custom xp that my other pc's have . . seriously considering wiping off this vista ulimate to put on my customized and tweak'd version of xp pro. I'll give it a few more weeks, but it just isn't donig it for me :(

brandnewfantx    0

I switched to Vista about two months ago, and it great and everything.. Just somethings I didn't like about it...This last weekend I made the switch back to XP. To do the fact Vista had a slower start up time for me, and also I would have to be logged in first for my wireless connection to be connected. With XP before I log in, Boom Wireless connection is connected. So no sitting around for a minute just waiting for my wireless to connect. I love Vista don't get me wrong, just little things like kind of bug me. Though I bet with some more updates Vista will be just as good or better than XP.

Eis    0

I'm a gamer. Most game I've played start up an extreme amount slower than they did on XP, the FPS in-game in every game I've tried is either reduced or heavily reduced, I encounter chopping in some games, random freezing in other games, and to top it all off a lot of completely unsupported games.

It's also worth noting that starting up the game for the first time (after installation) is almost so slow you're pretty much itching to just hit the power button on your computer and try again.

So, overall, the desktop is pretty, I'm sure it's more secure, and the UAC isn't THAT bad (sometimes...), but I'm not willing to switch full time to Vista just for security if it's going to ruin my games. I'd rather enjoy myself playing fast games and have someone screw with my computer than play slower games with a tinfoil hat over my head.