• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Over all, are you glad you switched to Vista?

DavidGP    0

Yes very happy with Vista and now have my Desktop and two laptops both Vista only, I only have 1 desktop left with XP and thats not used at present.

90 % of the people who says "vista sucks" say it because want to be like other people whos only criticize what microsoft do.

Totally agree.

Also its in not reading up on what hardware specs and what software is compatible with Vista that also causes issues, sadly your favoured software may not be Vista compat, you install and bang! BSOD/software crashing, easy to do with a new OS, when all companies have not caught up... but first port of blame is always MS, rather than the 3rd party devs.

Like with all new things technology moves on and as such so does the requirements to run it without hitting user experience.

P00rSpy    0

No, I switched to be able to support customer who/will bought new pc with vista, however my PC was stable before I installed vista, now there's many issue, blue screen etc, mostly related with firewire, usb device sleep etc, unfortunately the patch for stability etc doesn't fix my problem.

I have vista 64, legit all with fully signed drivers.

Stability index as of Aug 01, 1.67

Today 6.37 but he's missing a lot of crash.

Stability with XP media center was near 10....

What is frustating is to see how almost any app crash can force a reboot in my system killing a crashed app doesn't work! Yay!

HawkMan    5,232
No, I switched to be able to support customer who/will bought new pc with vista, however my PC was stable before I installed vista, now there's many issue, blue screen etc, mostly related with firewire, usb device sleep etc, unfortunately the patch for stability etc doesn't fix my problem.

I have vista 64, legit all with fully signed drivers.

Stability index as of Aug 01, 1.67

Today 6.37 but he's missing a lot of crash.

Stability with XP media center was near 10....

What is frustating is to see how almost any app crash can force a reboot in my system killing a crashed app doesn't work! Yay!

Either you have seriusly bad hardware or your lying. Try to remove all devices and add them one by one to check wich one(s) are causing the problems. cause getting BSODs on Vista requires some F'ed up stuff. either really badly written drivers and since yoru ar eall signed and 64 bit that shoudln't be the problem or something wrong with the HW itself, then usually memory. since Vista actually uses yoru memory unlike other OS, it's not unlikely bad memory causes more BSODs and issues on Vista than it did on XP.

J400uk    1

Vista has been great for me, big improvement over xp imo. Got Ultimate on the desktop, business on laptop and home premium on the HTPC.

Edited by J400uk

syncvichu    0

I love it!..Good job Microsoft...

RevelMore    1

It's giving me a few problems, i would use XP, but every is so new, so i'll just stick with it, it is pretty nice though.

Malbojia    0

I've tried using it daily. It's just not happening for the type of work and amusement I do on my pc's. I'm using it to force myself to learn the OS to support clients and that's it.

I find it horrible that the sound stack got changed. Well there is via OpenAL. But what about ASIO exclusive mode for bit pefect, when I play my guitars through DSTplugins. I enjoy I/O delay of 5ms playback. So far with all the tweaking I've gotten it down to 40ms. Still to high for real time recording/listening.

I'm sure drivers, softwares and fixes will come for what I do and need down the road. It can't get any worse but better I hope.

Bobster    0

I upgraded to Vista "full-time" on my laptop about 2 months ago and have just got on with it, I can't really tell a difference between that and XP apart from Vista runs a lil slower on my laptop than XP but overal it looks nicer and has some very nice features.

+warwagon    13,132
Not happy with the overall performance on the new HP PC I bought with it pre-installed (Home Basic, no eyecandy). It was for my 7 year old, so didn't go for a top end machine, and the stores I stopped at were not selling XP PCs.

It is a dog on 512MB. The XP PCs with slower CPUs that the other kids have are more responsive.

I would have to agree, I can no longer recommend a low end pc, because the performance of the pc's is just down right pathetic. I've setup cheap vista pc's and not so cheap vista machines. Rule of thumb is, if the pc is so cheap that it comes with Vista home basic, run far and run fast.

SMELTN    142

I have it sitting here on my desk, have installed it twice now, and reformatted back to XP a fews days later both times.

Problem is gaming right now, ALL I really do is play games, and use voice chat (Ventrilo) and read webpages in between, and honestly it isn't better than XP yet as far as that goes... so I cant change.

P00rSpy    0
Either you have seriusly bad hardware or your lying. Try to remove all devices and add them one by one to check wich one(s) are causing the problems. cause getting BSODs on Vista requires some F'ed up stuff. either really badly written drivers and since yoru ar eall signed and 64 bit that shoudln't be the problem or something wrong with the HW itself, then usually memory. since Vista actually uses yoru memory unlike other OS, it's not unlikely bad memory causes more BSODs and issues on Vista than it did on XP.

It's funny how some people feel the need to atack MS and other feel the need to defend them.

Vista is on an HP box,

MS had just released 2 major patch, and is planing an SP1 already, so it look to me they do believe some people are having issue.

The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (0x0000009F) BSoD is not related to memory but to bad handling of sleep mode byt some peripheral, btw I am not looking for support but thanks anyway h?h?

Mordkanin    225
MS had just released 2 major patch, and is planing an SP1 already, so it look to me they do believe some people are having issue.

Every manufacturer of every piece of software is always issuing patches and planning updates. They're not just going to sit on their hands and do nothing, even if Vista was bug free.

Graememk    0

Hi, i'm running an inspiron 6000 everything works fine and i'm very happy with it. I had a big problems a few months ago i kept getting blue screens of death very frequentlyand the temp of the cpu was around 70C then my laptop started making very strange noises, the fan was giving up, anyway i bought a new fan and when i opened up my laptop and the heatsink was practically blocked with fluff, so i cleaned it out replaced the fan. Ever since its been running quieter and without a problem!

NEVER85    248

I'm very happy with Vista. Tried going back to XP once and it just felt...archaic, to put it mildly. When I move back home to save some money, I'll set up a home network with our 4 computers, and they'll all have Vista installed in some regard. Even the ones that aren't powerful enough to run Aero, I'll put Vista Home Basic on for my youngest sister, so she can use the computer freely with less risk of getting slammed with malware, unlike if she were using XP.

UncleSpellbinder    17
Are you happy with Vista?

Yes.

CrisCr0ss    2

yea its been sick

Guest arkouneo   

It's been a refreshing change considering I've been on XP for so long. I don't have any problems with lag or incapabilities whatsoever.

Prince Charming    163

It's been great to me. It was an enjoyable and refreshing operating system that wasn't particuarly punishing or slow on my old hardware (X800, AthlonXP 2400, 1280mb of ram). On my new PC (C2Q, HD2900, 2gb of ram running in x64), it's just been great. Not encountered much in the way of problems that were unsolvable or outside my abilities, so I've certainly liked it.

PGHammer    1,483
as i have said to many people before and will repeat..

Vista has alot of good features and un-needed features, because its new it requires ALOT more than XP required which is why many people are finding it hard because they think they can run vista as good as they ran XP without upgrading hardware.

there is alot of people who bought XP machines probably with 512 ram and think they could upgrade to home premium which was a mistake.

But hey, thats my 2 cents

I would not recommend 512 MB on *any* PC, regardless of OS (and haven't since 2000). The only reason 512 MB systems exist (in my own rather humble opinion) is due to low-balling OEMs (DELL and HP in particular). I have recommended, rather forcefully, a minimum of *1 GB* for any computer, desktop or portable, regardless of usage, since 2000, and I see no reason to settle for less (I'm increasing my recommendation for gaming PCs from 1 GB to 2 GB; not due to Vista, but due to falling prices for RAM and increasing RAM requirements for games).

I have run Vista as sole OS since RTM (a brief experiment in dual-booting Vista and XP, strictly for analysis of a new graphics card, has given way to a dual-boot dual-Vista Ultimate setup, which should indicate how well XP fared); going back to XP would be, for me, an exercise in stupidity.

kiddingguy    58

Vista works great for me. Even far better than Win XP

Never had any real issues, besides that I needed a new scanner, but that's not MS's fault; more like HP... therefore I have a Canon scanner now :D

daniel_rh    68

Yep, happy with it... No real problem with Vista, Only waiting for SP1 to get a smoother OS

0sit0    177

happy as well.. laptop runs perfectly and have a few issues with nvidia on the desktop but thats ok :)

Trixx    0

When I tried Vista, I enjoyed using it..the Start Menu is fantastic, and the over UI is huge improvement. However at LANs and even general networking, I have had a lot of problems figuring out file sharing, printer sharing, and connectivity through firewalls. It just is too frustrating for me to try and figure out why Gamer 1 ( using Vista ) can't connect to the same game that Gamers 1,2,3,4, and 5 who run XP, can connect to.

I am sure that if I gave it a little more effort, I would appreciate Vista more, but until then,I prefer XP with a Vista Transformation pack ^_^.

Trixx

pyehac    0

Apart from the headaches of upgrading and finding compatible software, I'm pretty much satisfied with Vista.

Angel Blue01    8

I got Vista by default since I had to buy a new PC (old one broke).

Yes I'm very happy. I can't stand looking at XP very much.

There are a few things that drive me crazy like the circular navigation around some things and the lack of keyboard commnands for most things but I love it. I've never had serious problems with Vista excpet with programs that were hacked to support in Vista and lazy hardware support by manufacturers.