Windows Installer will not install Printer

This problem is really kicking my ***,

PnP, USB connected EPSON printer ... connect to USB port, and wha la ... new hardware ... let windows configure? sure ... why not

XPSP2 searches for a driver, never resolves, asks user to check connection (after the printer was detected with proper name?)

Put in Epson CD, load drivers my self ... they load, meanig there on the HD, but the printer doesnt install ...

Windows reports "could not load Installer for printer ... goto hardware vendor bla bla"

Do my research ... and enable logging for the Installer through the MCC and review log files generated

Find ...

[setupAPI Log]

OS Version = 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Platform ID = 2 (NT)

Service Pack = 2.0

Suite = 0x0100

Product Type = 1

Architecture = x86

[2007/08/18 11:01:38 768.3 Driver Install]

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): usbprint\epsonstylus_photo_821edd,epsonstylus_photo_821edd

#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

#I393 Modified INF cache "C:\WINDOWS\inf\INFCACHE.1".

#I022 Found "USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_821EDD" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem23.inf; Device: "EPSON Stylus Photo 825"; Driver: "EPSON Stylus Photo 825"; Provider: "EPSON"; Mfg: "EPSON"; Section name: "EPNDRV".

#I023 Actual install section: [EPNDRV.NT]. Rank: 0x00000000. Effective driver date: 05/30/2002.

#-147 Loading class installer module for "EPSONStylus Photo 825".

#E144 Loading module "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntprint.dll" failed. Error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.

Windows could not load the installer for Printer. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance. Error 127: The specified procedure could not be found.

So ... I figure the .dll is corrupted and need to replace it. I find the same version online, download it, remname the old file ... ntprint.old

and when I place the new one in the folder ... do you want to replace the one that already exists?

say what? there shouldnt be one there? I just renamed it!

go look, and wha la ... there is another ntprint.dll along with the old one, I try again , and wha la .... Im an idiot, its back again!

So ... I think im on the right track, the logfile points to the ntprint.dll every time, the failure to load the printer is repeatable ... everytime the exact same results ... but Im stuck

I would greatly appreciate anyones help that has some experience in solving this interesting problem ... thanx in advance

there is a dll cache in windows XP, if any dll file is deleted, XP immediately replaces it with the one from its cache. Anyway, you should try and uninstall the printer, goto device manager, and whatever is detected uninstall it. Try installing again.

there is a dll cache in windows XP, if any dll file is deleted, XP immediately replaces it with the one from its cache. Anyway, you should try and uninstall the printer, goto device manager, and whatever is detected uninstall it. Try installing again.

It isnt there to uninstall because it never completes the process. Now the detection works just fine, because windows see's that it is an Epson 825 Photo printer ... that comes up in the tray, new hardware detected, but its never installed.

Even when you try to add a printer via "printer and faxes" .. windows says ... operation could not be completed.

The only thing ever loaded per se, are the files from the printer CD. A directory/folder is created on the HD.

Every USB printer I've installed required that the drivers be installed BEFORE connecting the USB cable. Did you read the manual?

Ah yeah ... Ive read the manual.