Manual or Automatic

Manual or Automatic?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of transmission do you prefer?

• Always an automatic
    • Automatic for daily driving, stick for weekends or sports cars
    • Stick shift normally unless it's really heavy traffic or for a pure family car
    • Stick shift in nearly all cases with rare exceptions
    • Stick shift always

Your poll will be skewed by the fact that most people in Europe drive manual cars. Automatic is available, but people here are just used to manual. People learn to drive manual and don't see it as a problem, and never see a need to get a manual car.

I've never driven an automatic car, and I'm perfectly happy driving a manual, on the motorway, in cities, wherever. I don't feel any need to switch to an automatic.

back when all autos were 3 speed(and a few 2 spd) I hated autos, cus they did not put the power of even a big block V8 to the road, they sucked more than gas. But the newer AOD trannies are real good at both low and high speed. I'm not saying a 6 speed stick in a hot car isn't going to be more responsive/controllable. The only things I want to use my right hand for is radio/cell phone/coffee. I drove a Mustang 5.0 AOD on the autobahn when I was stationed in GE, and it did just fine. It was governed to ~142MPH/228KPH though.

Automatic is nice because you can do so many more things in the car while driving.

Driving really is the only thing you're supposed to be doing when driving. Anything else can be accomplished between shifts, or you should pull over.

I would prefer manual for sure , i don't feel the enjoyment of driving if i am not using manual shifting , but really some time in my country traffic is horrible and here comes the only benefit really for the automatic...

I suppose it's whatever you're used to. When I drive an auto I don't feel as connected to the car. And that's not a good thing to feel in any situation (be it racing or stuck in a traffic jam). There's just something about the mechanical feel of the clutch and gears.

manual shift everytime.....although I have driven my parents 6 cylinder Merc 320TD with Auto sports box & the old mans Bentley Brooklands and the autobox makes sense on cars of that size, try pushing a clutch pedal on a 6.7ltr V8 Turbo....you would end up lop-sided :p

"Stick shift normally unless it's really heavy traffic or for a pure family car"

I personally never want to have an automatic, but I know I'll probably end up getting one when I've got my family. That's the only reason I chose this option. For me, by myself, I'm "Stick shift always"

My father owns a 99 VW Jetta that has a manual transmission and it's fun to drive on the highway and on open roads, but I hate it when there is traffic. Its fun when your switching gears and going fast, but it sucks when your trying to eat/drink/smoke at the same time while driving. I'd prefer automatic any day.

Never tried automatic - so voted nothing, but showed results..

My father owns a 99 VW Jetta that has a manual transmission and it's fun to drive on the highway and on open roads, but I hate it when there is traffic. Its fun when your switching gears and going fast, but it sucks when your trying to eat/drink/smoke at the same time while driving. I'd prefer automatic any day.

You smoke in your car? :x :x :x

For all of you in the UK who say you need stick because of steep hills, etc...that isn't the problem. The problem is that most cars there have wimpy engines. I would have no problem climbing those hills in my '99 Taurus SHO. It's automatic. And in this area of Pennsylvania, there are some nasty hills. Hell, I take it when I go hunting up on the mountain.

I do like stick though for very lightweight and fast cars, like the Civic SI. I drove my sister's neighbors' SI and it was a lovely experience. Other advantages are that if you know what you are doing, you can save gas. This is especially true in trucks.

I'd rather choose stick shift, but I like the senquential transmission the best. Automatic always slows the car's acceleration and power and always put more work on the engine. Manual has more control and more torque than automatic. I wish that car makers use sequential because it is semi-automatic.

Isn't SMG also known as TipTronic transmission? and I was sure that other manufactures have it.

SMG is a manual gearbox (with a clutch), only the gear chages are controlled automatically or via paddles. Several other manufacturers have similar systems (Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Audi, VW etc).

Steptronic is an automatic gearbox with paddle changes, which is what Tiptronic is as well.