Manual or Automatic

Manual or Automatic?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of transmission do you prefer?

• Always an automatic
    • Automatic for daily driving, stick for weekends or sports cars
    • Stick shift normally unless it's really heavy traffic or for a pure family car
    • Stick shift in nearly all cases with rare exceptions
    • Stick shift always

manual manual manual. I hate automatics, so boring to drive. Then again, I suppose if your job required alot of driving, an auto would be easier in the long run. I just don't like em.

Is it just me or are automatics alot more common in USA?

The choices should have been:

Automatic

Manual

Tiptronic

DSG

and maybe

CVT

CVT = Automatic

Actually, I'm sitting on the fence on this one. My Mazda3 has a sportAT transmission, where its a full automatic, but it has a manual shift mode.

that != manual

no clutch = automatic

CVT = Automatic

that != manual

no clutch = automatic

While CVT is normally an automatic in that it has no clutch, that need not always be the case. There are some variations of CVT that have a clutch.

Also, unlike a regular automatic gearbox, the engine stays at a set point - normally the point of maximum torque - and the transmission moves to alter speed (until you begin to reach VMax). Some have a set of programmed "fixed" ratios selectable from paddles to make it more sporty.

They are quite odd to drive as the engine note doesn't change as you drive.

CVT = Automatic

Have you driven a car with CVT? What are the differences between CVT and Auto? Or do you really think they are the same?

Have you driven a car with CVT? What are the differences between CVT and Auto? Or do you really think they are the same?

You drive it "like" an auto, but it feels completely different.

I'm learning to drive manual atm. There is so much stuff do to think about when approaching junctions, cornering, traffic lights, and you gotta do stuff fast. I've stalled a few times which frustrates me however I'm enjoying it (Y).

I'd prefer manual. Where I live auto makes life easier, there's a lot of high traffic areas with steep hills, strange road layouts (especially in the older areas), etc..

I'm learning to drive manual atm. There is so much stuff do to think about when approaching junctions, cornering, traffic lights, and you gotta do stuff fast. I've stalled a few times which frustrates me however I'm enjoying it (Y).

You'll get used to it. It becomes 2nd nature soon enough.

Manual all the way, I have driven auto's and they are very handy for stop / start traffic, But for the overall driving experience deffinately manual on both my car and bike.

Manual almost all the time, the only time I wish I had an auto is in stop and go traffic, but since I come in early and leave early to work, that rarely happens.

Manual is more power, better fuel economy, more control, more fun!

Is it just me or are automatics alot more common in USA?

No, you're right. Another reason I enjoy manuals, most people in the United States won't ask you to borrow your car. ;)

I just got a truck and it's standard/manual. I like it better, it's just more fun :p The first few days I had it was a stallfest though lol. But once I got used to, and I drove automatic one day, I accidentally went for the clutch cause I was so used to it. Automatics are definitely easier for stop n' go traffic, but overall, I like the stick more.