Manual or Automatic

Manual or Automatic?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of transmission do you prefer?

• Always an automatic
    • Automatic for daily driving, stick for weekends or sports cars
    • Stick shift normally unless it's really heavy traffic or for a pure family car
    • Stick shift in nearly all cases with rare exceptions
    • Stick shift always

No, you're right. Another reason I enjoy manuals, most people in the United States won't ask you to borrow your car. ;)

yes, but the general population doesn't know what a manual car is so they park right up your ass on steep hills and you have .00002 seconds to step off brake, push clutch in, shift gear and gas or else you hit the guy behind you :angry:

and manual always. once you go drive manual for a while, you'll never want to switch back

only time i'd go automatic is the crazy expensive high-powered cars. you can't control those beasts with only manual :p

No, you're right. Another reason I enjoy manuals, most people in the United States won't ask you to borrow your car. ;)

Lol +1. Same here in Canada. Out of a group of 30 people, you'll find around 2 who can drive manual :p (Especially the young people)

Most of my friends can't even move my car out of a parking stall, and I don't want anyone touching my new car either :p

yes, but the general population doesn't know what a manual car is so they park right up your ass on steep hills and you have .00002 seconds to step off brake, push clutch in, shift gear and gas or else you hit the guy behind you :angry:

Shift into gear first, slightly release clutch to the catch point, give a little gas as you put the handbrake down. You won't slide back. :p

Lol +1. Same here in Canada. Out of a group of 30 people, you'll find around 2 who can drive manual :p (Especially the young people)

Most of my friends can't even move my car out of a parking stall, and I don't want anyone touching my new car either :p

Shift into gear first, slightly release clutch to the catch point, give a little gas as you put the handbrake down. You won't slide back. :p

bah, screw the handbrake. i shouldn't have to sit there holding my clutch in gear for 5 minutes waiting for the light to turn. it's way worse when i drive my sisters gt mustang. she's a mechanic and switched out her engine and ****; now her clutch is heavy as f*ck

but people not borrowing your car is very nice, untill you get drunk and are asked to move your car. you ask your friends to do it for you: only to hear a really loud grinding noise from outside and then they come back in and tell you that they forgot no one drives stick :no:

bah, screw the handbrake. i shouldn't have to sit there holding my clutch in gear for 5 minutes waiting for the light to turn. it's way worse when i drive my sisters gt mustang. she's a mechanic and switched out her engine and ****; now her clutch is heavy as f*ck

but people not borrowing your car is very nice, untill you get drunk and are asked to move your car. you ask your friends to do it for you: only to hear a really loud grinding noise from outside and then they come back in and tell you that they forgot no one drives stick :no:

Or do a bit of heel-n-toe with your right foot. Keep the brake down with your heel, hold the clutch down and put it in first, then with the toes of your right foot, give it a bit of gas and lift the clutch to it's biting point, heel off the brake, and give it more welly. Sorted.

I tried learning manual but the learning curve for the clutch really turned me off. I know the benefits of manual transmissions being cheaper and more fuel efficient. I also can appreciate that if you're in a low gear and accidentally floor the gas you won't be able to reach a high RPM and run someone over...which came in handy when I was trying to learn it years ago. :p

I'm on automatic now, though. I may try learning manual in my free time but for commuting I prefer auto. I think I know of only two or three people my age (18) who can drive manual.

Automatic. Always. Better things to do than shift gears all day long. Even if i am just drinking a soda. At least i dont have to worry about shifting gears. and to boot, i have never driven a stick. so that also cements not driving one as far as i am concerned anyways.

I'm surprised at how many people prefer and exclusively drive automatics. Manual is how a car should be driven, automatic requires zero skill. People are just lazy and don't want to learn clutch control, and for the record, automatics are far less common here in the UK, the vast majority are manual.

lol @ the people who say they don't have time to needlessly change gears. That's the stupidest comment I've heard in a while.

I know the benefits of manual transmissions being cheaper and more fuel efficient.

Where do you guys get this business about automatics being less fuel efficient then manuals? Modern automatic transmissions have an overdrive gear, giving them equal fuel economy to manuals.

Where do you guys get this business about automatics being less fuel efficient then manuals? Modern automatic transmissions have an overdrive gear, giving them equal fuel economy to manuals.

I agree Paul, this may have been true 10-20 years ago.

I voted manual! Without a manual I wouldnt be able to use my sports car like its to be used.

06 Subare WRX Limited edition, 2.5l turbo DOHC 5 speed. I got about 2k in mods, and without the standard in my car the "launch" for the AWD wouldnt be the same. I can tack it up to about 4-5k RPM and drop the clutch. Gone out of the hole alot faster than any other car ;). My vote goes to manual eventhough it is nice to drive an automatic at times.

ummm...wrong. it's still true today and overdrives are not a new thing by any means

More I think about it...

Getting into the highest gear you can, at the lowest possible speed, will save you plenty of gas.

Why? Because you use less gas when the engine is turning slowly. The slower the engine turns, the fewer the number of explosions in the cylinders. And fewer explosions means less gas consumed.

So, if you drive a manual transmission car, shift sooner. As long as the engine doesn't buck, shudder, or ping, you're fine. You'll sacrifice the ability to accelerate quickly ? but you can always downshift if you need to accelerate. There for, MANUAL is better than an auto for fuel efficency.

Automatic. Always. Better things to do than shift gears all day long. Even if i am just drinking a soda. At least i dont have to worry about shifting gears. and to boot, i have never driven a stick. so that also cements not driving one as far as i am concerned anyways.

:rolleyes:

1. Shifting takes all of 3 seconds.

2. That's why they invented cupholders

If you actually drove manual you'd understand why automatics SUCK.

ummm...wrong. it's still true today and overdrives are not a new thing by any means

I didn't say they were new, I said modern transmissions, i.e post 1980s. It's just as easy to get the same gas mileage in a automatic then a manual, as long as you don't drive like a dick.

then you need to improve your clutch control. It's a requirement to pass here in UK (unless you're learning in an automatic, see below) as the test pretty much always includes a hill start. Sitting there at biting point is only going to burn your clutch out and heel-toe should only be used if your handbrake cable is stretched and doesn't cut it (and you should get it sorted sharpish before some traffic plod randomly tests your car).

and manual always. once you go drive manual for a while, you'll never want to switch back

If (like ozgeek) you learn in an automatic in UK, you are not allowed to drive a manual until you pass a test in one. So you can consider that you will always drive automatics forever (and never need to drive someone else home in their manual) [maybe you're disabled and can't cope with manual transmission] or you could take a manual test and be allowed to drive both.

only time i'd go automatic is the crazy expensive high-powered cars. you can't control those beasts with only manual :p

You can if you get training.

Once I had to drive a (least favourite four word combination ahead) Renault Megane Sc?nic automatic as that was the only hire car available after I had a prang. For a week. Long distance (UK version). It blew goats so much I can't begin to describe it, aside from the fact it had about a litre less engine capacity. The number of times my left foot hit the floor when I went for the clutch that wasn't there...

I'm surprised at how many people prefer and exclusively drive automatics. Manual is how a car should be driven, automatic requires zero skill. People are just lazy and don't want to learn clutch control, and for the record, automatics are far less common here in the UK, the vast majority are manual.

lol @ the people who say they don't have time to needlessly change gears. That's the stupidest comment I've heard in a while.

Lol yeah. Anyone who can reach the gas and brake pedal and turn the steering wheel can drive an auto :no:

No, that only applies to non-gearshifting scenarios such as traveling on a highway. In frequent start/stops, manual transmission is more fuel efficient. Go look on car manufacturer pages, car sites, etc. will tell you the same thing.

Unless you are talking about CVT, but that's not the same thing as auto.

For all of you in the UK who say you need stick because of steep hills, etc...that isn't the problem. The problem is that most cars there have wimpy engines. I would have no problem climbing those hills in my '99 Taurus SHO. It's automatic. And in this area of Pennsylvania, there are some nasty hills. Hell, I take it when I go hunting up on the mountain.

I do like stick though for very lightweight and fast cars, like the Civic SI. I drove my sister's neighbors' SI and it was a lovely experience. Other advantages are that if you know what you are doing, you can save gas. This is especially true in trucks.

Lol. Our wimpy engines?

Your Taurus V6 3litre proberly outputs 200BHP, the cars we drive achive that with a much smaller more economical engine.

The american engines are made porly, hence why it takes a V6 to produce 200BHP. Hell my 1.6litre four pot makes 135bhp.

Lol. Our wimpy engines?

Your Taurus V6 3litre proberly outputs 200BHP, the cars we drive achive that with a much smaller more economical engine.

The american engines are made porly, hence why it takes a V6 to produce 200BHP. Hell my 1.6litre four pot makes 135bhp.

My 4 cylinder makes over 300HP and 318+ tq. ;)

for a long time i've favored auto over manual. Today i'm thinking what a big mistake it was to get my car in auto.

when i was 13 my dad taught me manual and i've never driven since then, well a few weeks ago, i was driving a CR-V, Corrolla, Prado, and an E200 all manual. Aside from the E200 and the Prado, i've driven the CR-V and corrolla here a lot, but driving them in manual was amazing. i spent an entire week driving manual in Ethiopia and i've decided from now on, all my future cars will be manual.

for the poll choice... --> Stick shift in nearly all cases with rare exceptions

edit:

i'm a bit late to this thread, but i've noticed a few people discussing american car engines. I agree, they are ****. I figured that when the new Fusion came out that it's engine would be something close to what Toyota and Nissan have with equivalent gas mileage. far from it. My 2.5L 4cylinder easily beats my cousins 99 3L V6 intrepid and today, my uncles Chrysler 300, i can't beat him, but i'm def at his bumper.

Manual just makes driving fun. I was DD the other night (designated driver ;)) for my friends, and we took one of their cars - a CR-V in automatic - and all I could do while driving was steer. How fun is that? It was just so boring.