Manual or Automatic

Manual or Automatic?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of transmission do you prefer?

• Always an automatic
    • Automatic for daily driving, stick for weekends or sports cars
    • Stick shift normally unless it's really heavy traffic or for a pure family car
    • Stick shift in nearly all cases with rare exceptions
    • Stick shift always

If your a driver in the uk nothing but stick shift can do unless you drive on the moterways "highways i believe for americans" cos lets agree british roads have 90degrees turns and twists and 100stops and too tight parking, if you drive an atomatic it changes a gear then you slow down for a turn the gears change you put your foot down and bang its a racing track. not good enough control, and parking with a atomatic my god i tryed it a couple of times **** i nearly crapped it in my pants, rolling up and down half the street. plus all the cars in britain are stick shift hardley any atomatics unless your posh or a HGV driver. do u agree ?

Not especially, ton's of people drive automatics around just fine?

I could love to drive a manual car but currently owns a car with automatic trans. My current licence restricts me to only auto cars.

Anyway, driving stick is not recommended in busy areas, you will have to contentrate more on driving rather than enjoying the scenary or other things. Since I am hearing impaired, I have to contentrate more so that's why my parents put me on auto.

I would imagine hearing impairment is a valid concern with driving a manual. I don't look down at the tach very often. Between the sound and the "butt feel" I know my RPM's. With a hearing impairment for me driving a stick would be much harder and less enjoyable.

I would imagine hearing impairment is a valid concern with driving a manual. I don't look down at the tach very often. Between the sound and the "butt feel" I know my RPM's. With a hearing impairment for me driving a stick would be much harder and less enjoyable.

off topic, but is that Thatcher and Reagan at camp david as your avatar?

off topic, but is that Thatcher and Reagan at camp david as your avatar?

Yes it is. More of a general homage to Churchill's "special relationship" amongst anglosphere countries then specifically those two leaders. I would have used FDR and Churchill, but I couldn't find a decent picture without "Uncle Joe" in it.

Yes it is. More of a general homage to Churchill's "special relationship" amongst anglosphere countries then specifically those two leaders. I would have used FDR and Churchill, but I couldn't find a decent picture without "Uncle Joe" in it.

Ah ok, nice one. I was just inquisitive as it seemed like an interesting choice for an avatar.

Well...gotta say...its pretty heated here..lol :D

I always drive a manual tx car...that's what I learned on..and that's IMHO the fun way to drive BUT...once u've been driving for more than 5 years..and u start a job that's like 60 minutes from home with HIGH TRAFFIC...as in occupying like 30 min of the total 60 min of getting home...u start to wonder..is Automatic tx better for me :D :D

I've got my Hyundai Accent with manual transmission...but when I drive my mom's Megane..its always uber fun :D

I'm buying a new car soon...dunno what I'm getting for transmission yet...though I'm leaning towards a new Hyundai Elantra 08...with auto transmission...:D

Manual = Fun

Auto = Relaxin' and chillin' :D

Cheers

DJ Resemo

Anyway, driving stick is not recommended in busy areas, you will have to contentrate more on driving rather than enjoying the scenary or other things. Since I am hearing impaired, I have to contentrate more so that's why my parents put me on auto.

What an incredibly ridiculous statement. Manual makes you concentrate more on your driving and this is a BAD thing? When you drive, it's not to take in the scenery, it's to get there. You then state that your impairment makes you concentrate even more; why on earth would you start checking out the scenery if you need all of your concentration to drive? :blink:

shishas4u I find your statement very odd. You say that parking in a auto is scary, which I find quite amusing, I find it much easier, and less scary to park in a auto than when I'm driving stick.

shishas4u I find your statement very odd. You say that parking in a auto is scary, which I find quite amusing, I find it much easier, and less scary to park in a auto than when I'm driving stick.

Yeah I agree parallel parking using a stick on a sloop can be pretty challenging.

Another good reason to have an automatic would be a off road truck. When rock crawling or trying to find traction it is nice to just put it in park get out and have a look at where your wheels are in relation to any obstacles without worrying about having to slip the clutch to start off again. For any truck I was going to use as a trail vehicle I would want an auto.

Well it's hard to say.

Option 1: I'm a lot on the road for my work so in that case I would love to have an automatic. It's easier to have ongoing phone conferences, discussions or anything else in the car with an automatic.

Option 2: For weekend drive I want a manual. I still like shifting the gears myself and being able to beat an 18-year old woosie at the lights. My RS4 quite does that and I would not love it as much with automatic transmission.

Manual for me. Much more control over the car.

This thread is highlighting some bad drivers. Anyone who says "Automatic because I need my hand free to do other things" shouldn't be driving. It's a two handed job you idiots. Do you only watch the road with one eye? Muppets.

If anyone has one eye, one hand or both and drives that's cool. It's just the morons who don't give driving enough attention I'm getting at.

Driving stick is just second nature to me. I've only ever driven an auto once, and I have to say, I got the hang of manual much quicker. Just made more sense to me.

I don't understand how people can understand manual quicker than auto. Auto is way more simple to me, its like gas to go(push harder to go faster) and brake to slowdown/stop. Imo doesn't get more simple than that. Manual although once you get use to it is also easy I think is more complicated because of revs, clutch, gears, clutch starts etc.

Another good reason to have an automatic would be a off road truck. When rock crawling or trying to find traction it is nice to just put it in park get out and have a look at where your wheels are in relation to any obstacles without worrying about having to slip the clutch to start off again. For any truck I was going to use as a trail vehicle I would want an auto.

I was under the impression that manual is better for offroad, because engine braking is often desired over using the brakes.