Bioshock PC Demo

I got the demo \m/

To eliminate tearing I enabled VSYNC - the game detects everything and sets itself to everything max in DX10 mode (you can use DX9 if you want)

It runs at pretty much constant 30fps which is perfectly fine for an SP game, with vsync off it's 30+ with the usual drop when something massive is about to happen.

The great thing about this game and VSYNC is it locks the sync to a varied number, if it thinks 30fps will be constant it will do that 30fps constantly and lock to a higher fps if the scene will be able to do that on the gfx card. I will get a newer gen DX10 card when they are out to get a better vsync framerate but for now a 320MB 8800GTS is perfectly capable of maintaining a playable fps at 1680x1050 in DX10 mode.

I also tried DX9 mode to show the water effects difference - they are subtle but there and I only noticed a 1fps~ difference between DX9 and DX10.

Cannot wait for a new gfx card now :D

Here are my videos/screenshots (still uploading vids 3 and 5)

My spec is a socket 939 x2 4200+ with 2gb ddr400 and a 8800gts 320mb - I did enable EAX mode but I did notice some crackles etc on higher frequency sounds like when you fire the revolver. I blame this issue on Creative and their ALchemy software not fully working with this game yet.

I blame Creative in general for their shoddy drivers too.

I'm betting even better framerates can be had with the nVidia drivers due out sometime today - heavy DX10 optimisations I guess.

nice photos but vids could be possilbe spoilers

EDIT:

are the nvidia driver scheduled? have you got a source, also will they be for XP as well? in 31% dine atm got 2 hours left

Elizebath off 2k games stated on the 2k forums that after official release nvidia and ati users should update to the latest drivers that are out Monday so it should be sometime today.

its a shame im at work and cant download it. i deleted my original encrypted file from fileplanet for some reason. guess im gonna wait till 7pm. oh and if possible, dont post any photos. i dont want the game to be spoiled for me and others. i was very temped to go to those photos at the top of the page but i resisted.

wtf ive got no sound in the game!! this is the same problem im having with all Direct 3D sounds in my game slike DiRT and Battlefield 2142

thanks for the mirror :)

+1

I also tried DX9 mode to show the water effects difference - they are subtle but there and I only noticed a 1fps~ difference between DX9 and DX10.

from your screenshot there is barely a difference. thats good that the game looks great on dx9. i can't wait to see how my baby plays the game

from your screenshot there is barely a difference. thats good that the game looks great on dx9. i can't wait to see how my baby plays the game

The reason for that is it's a port of a 360 game, which means it's not true DX10. A developer for multiplatform games (think it was an epic guy, not 100%) once said that the 360 is a DX9.5 machine, and even then only barely just above what DX9 cards are nowadays.

The game has very little about it that's actually DX10.

The reason for that is it's a port of a 360 game, which means it's not true DX10. A developer for multiplatform games (think it was an epic guy, not 100%) once said that the 360 is a DX9.5 machine, and even then only barely just above what DX9 cards are nowadays.

The game has very little about it that's actually DX10.

No actually the reason is because the only dx10 parts in Bioshock are the water effects and some surface lighting and reflection details. It is also NOT a port of the 360, the PC version was made by the same team that made System Shock 2 at Irrational whilst the 360 version was made alongside the PC version by a dedicated 360 team at Irrational.

It was never planned to be a full dx10 game in teh first place, only have dx10 effects that dx9 could not do like the water effects.

Too many people are confusing Irrational with devs like UBISOFT who have one team making a game for x platform then porting it to PC. Irrational grew up with the PC and know what PC gamers want and so have a dedicated PC team whilst having another just for consoles.

Demo was quick, was getting ****ed off at Atlas telling me to go places without explaining where they were (i don't have a map dammit), and there was an odd lag in windowed mode (first time i tried it was in full-screen and it was fine, it crashed, but it was fine)

OMG what a brilliant game!!!! got my sound sorted just needed a restart, the voice effect they have on the little sister made me a little nervous, played it twice once with keyboard and mouse and once with my xbox 360 controller.

Knocked off Shadow Mapping and high res shadows and it runs sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet as a nut!! well done 2K!! just a shame i have to wait 4 days

mines a semi medium PC and i must say im VERY VERY....VERY impressed with ym frames, a few stutters when big stuff is happening, but thats really not enough to make u miss a shot or anything

Did anyone had a problems with missing textures (most of the floor in the light tower), and getting kicked back to desktop during that movie in the first elevator?

Happens to me and I have no idea how to solve them.

My specs: HD2600XT (7.8 drivers), Vista Ultimate, C2D @ 2.1ghz and 2gb 800 RAM.

I hate Fileplanet. I'm all for charging for priority downloads or limiting download speeds but they deliberately make their free service barely usable. Is it really right to only put on ONE public server for an exclusive demo? No, of course not. I will never subscribe when their free service is so appalling.

Yeah man, I can't even use fileplanet anymore, it's terrible.