Paramount and Dreamworks going HD DVD exclusive

Who buys movies to download extras and stuff?

You want the best picture possible when you watch a movie, not extras. Or atleast that's the way I think.

And HD-DVD has the same picture quality as Blu-ray, PLUS extras. What's bad about that?

Well here..companies that either provide content, produce HD DVD hardware, or support HD DVD in other ways. Keep in mind that that list up there with Blu-Ray is going smaller and smaller as Warner is actually releasing more and more HD DVD exclusive titles. In addition to supporting HD DVD, Amazon named HD DVD their top picks for the holiday season and invested significant resources and effort into Indie 1000 HD DVDs project.

HDlogos.gif

Well here..companies that either provide content, produce HD DVD hardware, or support HD DVD in other ways. Keep in mind that that list up there with Blu-Ray is going smaller and smaller as Warner is actually releasing more and more HD DVD exclusive titles. In addition to supporting HD DVD, Amazon named HD DVD their top picks for the holiday season and invested significant resources and effort into Indie 1000 HD DVDs project.

HDlogos.gif

You're blatantly ignoring real world numbers. Its quite sad how you live in your own little spin city. Its clearly obvious that Blu-Ray has outsold HD-DVD in every aspect. The Blu-Ray camp loses one studio (+ sister studio) and everyone says HD-DVD won? This is hilarious.

I also didn't know Amazon.com was such a player in the new age digital market. Oh wait, they aren't. They're pushing what they're told to sell.

Regarding "extras" on disc.. I'd rather save the space for uncompressed audio and video. Most people don't care about extras, not to mention ones you have to download! Hooking your HD player up to the internet is almost as logical as hooking your cable box up to the internet - its novelty. Its a "oh look it has this feature" and then a month later the port is just collecting dust. Big deal.

^ Aren't the real world numbers bound to change now? Paramount and DreamWorks are the 2007 box office leaders...

Sure they will, but I don't see it being huge. There is already a significant lead for Blu-Ray and customers aren't going to ditch their hardware based on this move by Paramount/Dreamworks. It may factor in for people who haven't bought into either format yet, but those people will most likely wait until the bitter end anyways.

Also, as a news poster, shouldn't you know better than to quote wikipedia posts? :)

It may factor in for people who haven't bought into either format yet,

That is like 90% of the market.

Your numbers don't mean anything right now because the war is still in the early stages where most people haven't bought into anything yet.

Like I said in an earlier post, so Blu-ray was winning some months. Doesn't much matter if studios are still waffling around between the two.

-Spenser

Also, as a news poster, shouldn't you know better than to quote wikipedia posts? :)

What's wrong with quoting Wikipedia in a forum and what is the relevance of me being a newsposter? First of all, I didn't use it as a source to an news post and second of all, studies have shown that Wikipedia is overall more accurate than Britannica or Encarta. Finally, what I posted were verified known facts.

Wow, Definitely something that wasn't expected. Great pick up by the HD DVD camp, This is just getting interesting.

Also, Whether or not they were paid or actually had behind the scenes knowledge of something no one else knows is meaningless. I don't doubt that if the Blu-Ray camp had the chance to make this deal, They would not blink an eye at paying that money. :woot:

Who buys movies to download extras and stuff?

You want the best picture possible when you watch a movie, not extras. Or atleast that's the way I think.

i understand where you are coming from, but HD DVD has that, there is no real innovation on blu ray. compare both movie types with the same movie and you will see that the HDDVD is just cooler

...Paramount and DreamWorks are the 2007 box office leaders...

DreamWorks can't be considered the 2007 Box Office leader at all. It only has two films in the top 10 and those profits were shared with Paramount (which only has two films in the top 10 as well).

Buena Vista - $730 million - Pirates 3, Ratatouille & Wild Hogs

Paramount/Dreamworks - $628 million - Shrek the Third, & Transformers

Warner Brothers - $489 million - Harry Potter 5, & 300

Sony - $337 million - Spider-Man 3

Universal - $165 million - The Bourne Ultimatum

If you're going based on who had the most releases, the winner is clearly Buena Vista. If you're going based on money, the winner is Sony (they only had one release, but that was release made more than any other single release this year (so far)).

NOTE: Buena Vista exclusively uses Blu-ray.

So this deal is only for 18 months???

Source NY Times

4th Paragraph From End

The two studios may have left themselves wiggle room, however. Paramount?s agreement to use only HD DVD is limited to only 18 months.b> And Paramount noted that no films directed by Steven Spielberg were included in the deal ?as his films are not exclusive to either format.? Mr. Spielberg is a co-founder of DreamWorks SKG, a unit of Paramount.

Only for 18 months? :laugh:

I guess you can call this a short-term victory for HD-DVD? I mean, not even Spielberg movies will be included in that exclusivity deal for 18 months. Once those 18 months are over, Blu-Ray will most likely just squeeze them out of the market.

P.S. Nice numbers, Hurmoth. Spiderman 3 really did make a killing this year in terms of profits :|

This is just a bad move for consumers. One company going exclusive with one technology and another company going with another technology. I know it might be expensive, but why can't these companies bring out both HD-DVD and Blu-ray products and let the consumer decide what he or she wants to purchase instead of being forced one way or the other. I refuse to buy into the Blu-ray or HD-DVD hype until there is a clear winner and the other technology slowly kills off. I just wish that would happen sooner rather than later. Grrr!
If a man in a suit came to your room and offered you millions of dollars just so you can sleep with him, I think you would accept :p

Only for 18 months? :laugh:

I guess you can call this a short-term victory for HD-DVD? I mean, not even Spielberg movies will be included in that exclusivity deal for 18 months. Once those 18 months are over, Blu-Ray will most likely just squeeze them out of the market.

P.S. Nice numbers, Hurmoth. Spiderman 3 really did make a killing this year in terms of profits :|

that is if it isnt over by then.... .

If a man in a suit came to your room and offered you millions of dollars just so you can sleep with him, I think you would accept :p

Oh hell no! Not just no, but a big fat hell no! :no: He could offer a billion dollars if he wanted to, but I'm not sleeping with him.

So this deal is only for 18 months???

I just read that in the paper just now. Not even Paramount/Dreamworks is completely sold with the format. I say scrap them both and start over; that would cause a riot!

I understand now, Paramount realized that they would not make that kind of money from HD-DVD sales, so when they were offered $150 million to be exclusive for only 18 months, why not?

This was definatly out of money, not production costs etc. I originally thought this deal was for good (5-10 years).

That just about sums it up. (Y)

i understand where you are coming from, but HD DVD has that, there is no real innovation on blu ray. compare both movie types with the same movie and you will see that the HDDVD is just cooler

Cooler? Cooler? What's cooler suppose to mean?

Good news for BD!

The HD wars are stronger than ever. In a statement clearly triggered by Paramount and Dreamworks' surprising move to HD DVD exclusivity, Fox and MGM are both pledging increased exclusive support for Blu-ray. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Live Free or Die Hard, and Fox's first-ever TV release on BD, Prison Break, have all been announced for release on Blu-ray.

These discs won't skimp on exclusive features. According to GameDaily BIZ, a "vast majority" of its movies will arrive on 50 GB dual-layer discs, with BD-J interactivity and Blu-ray exclusive HD bonus materials -- something that has been sorely lacking on most BDMV releases.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17187

...Except that not all Blu-Ray players support the features. Imagine paying $800 or more for a Blu-Ray player and miss out on these features.

I'm not sure about this , but isn't this just a firmware upgrade to the software?

Not everyday you hear studios supporting the loser in the format wars. I doubt this will make a major impact on Blu Ray sales, but it will likely decrease the lead it has gained over the last year.