Paramount and Dreamworks going HD DVD exclusive

Yes, it is different in the device, with changes really "under the hood'. Regardless of the cable, it should all work, and 1.1 to 1.3 devices can still communicate with each other. I believe that pre 1.3 devices cannot be software updated, only firmware, but don't look for many manufactures going out of their way to offer this. With the 1.3 spec, the industry is merely trying to streamline the entire experience, and milk the consumer of more money.

Is 1.3 worth it? I'll let you decide.

Exactly! Thats what I have been saying this whole time.

It costs money to experience HD A/V, and if you can afford it, you can reap its benefits. If you can't, then your throwing your money away.

However, there is word of the new 1.4 spec that could be released within a years time. Rumor has it, like Vista's DX 10, the upgrade to 10.1 requires new hardware and that the revisions to 1.4 could be following that same path. This keeps getting interesting before it gets better.

Here is some news about Warner....

Warner exec in charge of high definition DVDs steps down

So, is that the big Friday news? Where are the insider when we need them? :)

No, it has been speculated by some Blu-Ray guys, "supposedly" insiders, that's why I said Friday, but the real announcement should come in at CEDIA from Sept. 5-9.

By reading one of the article from Joseph Whip from TVPredictions.com I'm pretty sure that the biggest news will be that Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Warner Bros will completely replace their SD DVDs with HD DVD/SD DVD combos and price them at $19.99 as new releases.

This would get millions and millions of new releases into the homes of consumers and at $199 the only logical investment from consumer would be HD DVD player ending this war pretty much overnight.

AND IT has begun!

DENON Delays their Blu-Ray player by Q2 2008.

It's over.

No.

Denon has announced its first real Blu-ray player, with an appropriate assortment of never-before-seen features and price tag to match. The DVD-3800BDCI will launch this fall as the first high definition player to include Silicon Optix's 10-bit Realta HQV video processor, recently seen in Syntax-Brillian's $10k LCD and the big brother to the Toshiba HD-XA2's Reon. The first Profile 1.1 Blu-ray player we've seen, it supports separate picture-in-picture audio and video streams. Unfortunately, $1,999 isn't enough to provide an Ethernet port, so any online content will need to be downloaded on a PC and sneakernetted to the player via SD card. Finally, internal decoding for all Blu-ray surround sound formats is included, and it's the first player with an HDMI 1.3a output, providing enough bandwidth to pass sound natively to a receiver for decoding. Announced but unfortunately unpriced for $1,199 is the DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray Transport, dropping the advanced audio and video processing for those with their own receivers and scalers. Coming from a company that sells a $3,800 DVD player, the price isn't too surprising, but we hope there are cheaper (& network-enabled) new Blu-ray options forthcoming.

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/25/denons-...and-2k-priceta/

Denon Debuts New Blu-ray Player

Posted July 24, 2007 by Josh

Denon Electronics announced today that they will ship two Blu-ray products this fall. The DVD-3800BDCI is a Profile 1.1 Blu-ray player, capable of decoding all approved audio codecs (including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) as well as play Profile 1.1 content (including Picture-in-Picture). It will also be the first player to have a 10-bit Silicon Optix Realta processor which presents outstanding video playback for both Blu-ray and DVD. The player will retail for $1,999.

Also available this fall will be the DVD-2500BTC Blu-ray transport. This product is similar to the 3800BD, except it requires an accompanying HDMI v1.3 receiver to do the audio decoding. It will, however, feature the same Realta processor and Profile 1.1 spec as its bigger brother. Pricing has not yet been set for this model.

Source:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=340

Please stop with the false nonsense :sleep:

Where's your source? Not seeing anything yet ;)

No official announcement but everyone is talking about it. Denon UK spilled the info.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=179065

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609347

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=895491

Denon delays Profile 1.1 Blu-ray player till 2008

Denon's widely reported Profile 1.1 Blu-ray player is unlikely to launch (certainly in Europe) until Q2 2008. Consequently, it's unlikely now to be the first profile 1.1 Blu-ray deck to market. So says Denon UK's Roger Batchelor, who also confirms that the brand's advanced AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD pre-power combo have also been delayed. The POA-A1HD is a THX Ultra2 certified 10-channel power amplifier designed to match the AVP-A1HD THX Ultra2 A1HD pre amplifier. The pair was first unveiled at the Munich High-End show, back in May. The A1HD is DLNA (Digital network Living Alliance) compatible, able to access and stream media from PCs or DNLA devices on a home network. It’s also equipped with the latest Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoders.

Marketing manager for product planning and marketing, Jun Igarashi, says that the company intends to allow its customers to access to whatever media they have, wherever it is.

Edited by Boz

Well this is good but 2 things:

1. Speilberg gets to put his films both on HD-DVD and Blue-Ray

2. Micheal Bay only gets his films on HD-DVD and because of this there will be no Transformers 2?

I'm not saying that it isn't true, but seriously, those are not valid sources.

The first two links (in a forum, not by anyone at Denon), are about some guys asking if it's true and some other guys just speculating.

The third link is about some guy who posted the same information as you, WITHOUT a source.

Get a valid source, and I'll believe you.

I'm not saying that it isn't true, but seriously, those are not valid sources.

The first two links (in a forum, not by anyone at Denon), are about some guys asking if it's true and some other guys just speculating.

The third link is about some guy who posted the same information as you, WITHOUT a source.

Get a valid source, and I'll believe you.

Well the quote came from Denon UK Product Manager.. and I don't have to prove anything.. this is very fresh news today.. it will most likely go through tomorrow or monday

You can call this number 01753 888 447 (Hayden Lab. aka Denon UK) and ask for Roger Batchelor and ask him yourself.

Will the push-back of one Blu-Ray player really change anything?

No but it tells you that there's gonna be a bomb announcement at CEDIA '07 that start from Sept. 5-9 and their delay with the BLu-Ray player might be caused by this and I don't think that announcement at the CEDIA will be pro-Blu-Ray.

The fact is that with Paramount the tide has shifted and now you can really expect other studios or manufacturers to switch sides very easily.

Another thing that will finish this war overnight is if Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Warner released their regular SD DVDs as HD DVD/SD DVDs combos for $19.99 completely killing regular DVDs. I'll tell you something, I think that was the plan all along and that's one of the reasons Paramount switched and why Warner might switch too.

Let me put it in simple way, if:

1. This holiday season HD DVD players are $199

2. Studios replace completely SD DVDs with HD DVD/SD DVD combos

The war = over. think about it. Blu-Ray owners will have to buy both regular DVDs and Blu-Ray discs and everybody else, even people who don't have HD DVD will be buying HDDVD/DVD combos. What do you think they will buy as a player once they have HD DVD versions already there?

I'm 99% this is what's going to happen, there have been NUMEROUS hints from both Microsoft and HD DVD insiders. Trust me, I talk to them and ask questions daily.

I love the combo format discs, it allows me to watch at home on my HD-DVD player but I can also take it to the parent's house or friend's house and watch it on DVD as well. The only thing that bugs me is they are re-issuing a few movies this fall (per High-Def Digest) that are HD-DVD only. I think 'The Departed' is one of those movies, so I was expecting the combo format discs to be dropped.

We'll see.

I love the combo format discs, it allows me to watch at home on my HD-DVD player but I can also take it to the parent's house or friend's house and watch it on DVD as well. The only thing that bugs me is they are re-issuing a few movies this fall (per High-Def Digest) that are HD-DVD only. I think 'The Departed' is one of those movies, so I was expecting the combo format discs to be dropped.

We'll see.

Yes, but that shouldn't really concern you..they are basically releasing some discs that were sold as combo as hd dvd only because some people wanted them as HD DVD. But as I said, it is VERY LIKELY that it's going to be a huge move, killing DVDs and replacing them in millions with these HD DVD combos. Judging by Kevin Colllins and Amir (both very high up guys from Microsoft involved with HD DVD) sounds like that was the plan all along. Remember, the price between that combo and regular dvd in production is not all that much. Remember if they do packaging and everything like they did for SD DVDs but do it for the combo now they will actually save money and not lose any more by doing this.

That's the real and very probable death blow to Blu-Ray. I am so certain that this will happen that I'm actually selling my Blu-ray stuff and really considering selling the PS3. The whole thing is a big flop. I have 4 games for PS3 and I play them like once a month if that. Sony REALLY blew everything with the Blu-Ray/PS3 combination. They should've never done this.

Unfortunately, $1,999 isn't enough to provide an Ethernet port, so any online content will need to be downloaded on a PC and sneakernetted to the player via SD card.

Announced but unfortunately unpriced for $1,199 is the DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray Transport

I know it's Denon, I know it's Hi-Fi quality.... But get real!!! The high-end Toshiba HD-DVD player is not even $800 !!!

Lets just say that this Blu-Ray player will not change anything in the market. It's a minority that will want to invest 1199$ or 1999$ on a player.

I know it's Denon, I know it's Hi-Fi quality.... But get real!!! The high-end Toshiba HD-DVD player is not even $800 !!!

Lets just say that this Blu-Ray player will not change anything in the market. It's a minority that will want to invest 1199$ or 1999$ on a player.

On the other hand, the new Onkyo high-class HD DVD player that has incredible feature with Reon VX chip will be $899 and I know at least 15 people that will buy it. $899 is still acceptable for high end. $2000 is simply RIDICULOUS and I think they realized that especially with this new development that shook everyone.

Believe me when I tell you, I've never EVER seen Sony and everyone on BDA upset and scarred this much. They are trying every PR, slander and yelling trick. But the more they do it, the more ridiculous they look.

That's the real and very probable death blow to Blu-Ray. I am so certain that this will happen that I'm actually selling my Blu-ray stuff.

Lets not get too excited now... It's only rumours right now, nothing is set in stone. All of this would be great news, but Blu-Ray is not dead yet. We still don't know what Disney, Fox, Sony Entertainment or MGM will do next. I do have a pretty good idea, but for Sony to put movies on HD-DVD, that should take a while....

Lets not get too excited now... It's only rumours right now, nothing is set in stone. All of this would be great news, but Blu-Ray is not dead yet. We still don't know what Disney, Fox, Sony Entertainment or MGM will do next. I do have a pretty good idea, but for Sony to put movies on HD-DVD, that should take a while....

True, but that' irrelevant to HD DVD win. Btw, do you know that Warner DOES not ship hi-def titles until after September 5th. That's when CEDIA begins.

Due to a system upgrade implementation, we are unable to ship orders placed between August 8th ? September 4th until after September 5th.

The exception is DVD titles with release dates of August 28th or September 4th. We apologize for the inconvenience. When you place an order during the period outlined above. in appreciation of your patronage, we will provide you with a $10 gift voucher good towards any future purchase on www.warnervideo.com

Fishy eh? LOL

Haven't seen this posted so...

Week ending August 19:

71:29

1. 300 100.00

2. Wild Hogs 77.63

3. 300 45.18

4. Vacancy 21.34

5. Disturbia 16.96

6. Planet Earth 15.22

7. The Lookout 12.29

8. TMNT 11.89

9. Planet Earth 10.95

10. Doctor Strange 10.77

Just keep quoting numbers..they'll change soon enough.. only yesterday Blu-Ray has lost approx 60 titles making the numbers look completely different. Right now HD DVD has over 300+ titles while Blu-Ray has less then 270

Even with weeks with 0 Blu-ray releases, HD-DVD has never managed to take out at least 1 for this year. It'll be interesting to see if the ratios will change by much next week, and so forth. Hmm.