UFC 77: Hostile Territory

I wonder if Franklin is nervous this time around.

Also, will he decide to stand or try and take it to the ground.

And hopefully Vera beats Sylvia.

Franklin really wants the title back, but I think Silva may prove too tough for him. As for Vera, I feel sorry for him, he was a promising upcoming star in the HW division and then got pushed back by the arrival of CroCop, return of Randy and shock win by Gonzaga, I really hope he beats Sylvia so he can finally get the chance he deserves.

• 1 month later...

You know what I fancy Sylvia here as well...he got wiped the floor with when he faced Randy and he will want to come back fighting so I can see him taking Vera as for the main event Franklin to lose again.

• 3 weeks later...

Slyvia winning...oh noes!

Franklin Destroyed again! and infront of his home crowd as well :|

Brock what a poor decision lose Fedor and Randy and gain Brock :| :|

A poor PPV really. Franklin just didn't look dangerous and Silva easily overwhelmed him. The MW division is starting to look thin. It looks like they will probably try to convince Dan Henderson to move down to 185 so they can get someone decent against Silva.

I'm disappointed that we didn't see the Brandon Vera that we have in his past fights. He looked good when he got his strikes in, however, Sylvia had his number and kept him locked up. As boring as it was, he did the job. He just looked so much bigger than Vera. I think Vera maybe thinking about 205.

Finally... Brock Lesnar. Just why, why, why, is Brock Lesnar a big name in MMA? Because he was a WWE Superstar? I have said numerous times that he has a record of 1-0-0 in MMA. Anyone could manage that on a bad day! Hey, why don't they sign Stone Cold, The Rock and The Undertaker? Dana White really needs to sort out his priorities!

Finally... Brock Lesnar. Just why, why, why, is Brock Lesnar a big name in MMA? Because he was a WWE Superstar? I have said numerous times that he has a record of 1-0-0 in MMA. Anyone could manage that on a bad day! Hey, why don't they sign Stone Cold, The Rock and The Undertaker? Dana White really needs to sort out his priorities!

You know I actually fear for UFC now because they are losing big names granted they are gaining a few along the way like Nog and Wandy but lets face it the HW league looks crap now with Sylvia facing either either Nog or Kongo.

Finally... Brock Lesnar. Just why, why, why,

This is why...

Lesnar finished his amateur career as a four-time all-American, two-time big-ten Champion and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.

To those complaining about Brock.

They all started somewhere. Just because he is mainly known from WWE doesn't mean he cannot make it in MMA. Give him his chance. He will either do it or bomb big style (like CroCop).

I really hope he does well but I am not so sure he faced a waster in theory for his first fight, I wonder who he is lined up to face.

The problem is, Fedor was a much better capture than Brock, potentially. If UFC had signed Fedor, you would have had the super fight all the fans wanted. The super fight that Randy Couture wanted and arguably the best HW fighter in the UFC. If Randy retired after the Fedor fight, you'd still be left with Fedor in the division, potentially Fedor's mates (who are supposed to be just as good, I read this somewhere so don't quote me :p) flocking to the UFC, and Randy Couture not walking away from MMA in the way he didn't deserve to.

Now, they just have Brock and a pretty poor HW roster.

You know I actually fear for UFC now because they are losing big names granted they are gaining a few along the way like Nog and Wandy but lets face it the HW league looks crap now with Sylvia facing either either Nog or Kongo.

Exactly, they seem to be not gaining the stars that they need to be. So far, they have signed, the following big names: (from what I can remember)

CroCop - He failed. Inexplicably so, considering his past fights. But nontheless, unless he comes back a super revitalised man in 2008. He isn't going anywhere fast in the HW division. I certainly hope he bounces back, but that still has to be seen in 2008. For now we need a HW Champ.

Rampage - I personally didn't think he'd get past Henderson, but he did and he really didn't let Henderson play his game. He defended that title well and seems to have been the most comfortable at making the transition from PRIDE to UFC.

Big Nog - Sure, he won his first fight. But it was by no means convincing. He almost got KO'd and quite frankly, had he been up against a better opponent, may not have won that outing. This leads me on to...

Shogun - The above mentioned is the reason that these "Big Names" should not be given an "easy" intro into the UFC. If they are as good as they are made out to be then they should be put up against the better fighters in the division. Forrest proved this point. The way that Shogun gassed in the 2nd round was simply amazing. Considering he fought in PRIDE with their 10 minute first round format. As strong as the LHW division is looking at the moment in the UFC, he is gonna have to pull out some serious victories to get himself back in the title running.

Dan Henderson - Even though he lost on the night, he looked good during the fight and I'm sure if he makes the decision to go to 185 it'll put some interest back into the MW division because it doesn't look like there is anyone good enough to threaten A. Silva at the moment. I think he'll do well. I still think it would be a decent fight if he got a rematch against Rampage once he was more settled in the Octogon as opposed to a Ring.

W. Silva - Coming off 2 defeats he's got a lot to prove. Especially as he is coming into an already beefed up LHW division. If his fight against Chuck does go ahead, it may prove to be Chuck's swansong should he beat Chuck. However, should he lose, he's just going to end up at the end of a long queue to the title, behind Shogun. (That's a brilliant premise for a Shogun vs. Wandy fight - Winner has got better chance of retirement than chance at the title :p) I don't know if Chuck vs. Wandy is considered by most as a super fight now, when Dana last mentioned it this time last year it was a very different story. Still though, I personally would like to see it, just to put this one to a rest.

Lesnar - Granted, he was a good amateur wrestler and Jim Ross wouldn't shut up about his NCAA record. But that was a long time ago. He has since thrown his body around in a WWE ring for a few years, landed on his head performing a Shooting Star Press and had a failed go at the NFL. I'm just not sure what all the hype is behind a 1-0-0 guy. He may do well, he may not, I guess we won't have to wait long to see.

It's just funny, that some of the TUF guys are showing more promise than the PRIDE guys. They need to bring in some better big names and fast. Dana White needs to get his negotiating skills into gear. You can't have your company's Hall of Famer (and arguably one of the greatest champions ever) just walking out on you in sheer frustration. It's just not right. Fix up UFC!