Will some countries adopt HD and others adopt Blu-ray?

I'm ignorant about the whole HD vs Blu-ray debate, I'm just waiting for the dust to settle.

Would it be possible that some countries adopt HD and others adopt Blu-ray, like DVD's has country regions?

It was my understanding that Europe and embraced Blu-Ray, China was developing its own format (surprise surprise), Australia as HD-DVD, however this is based off of reports almost a year old now.

The only country that seems to have a problem is America :laugh:

It was my understanding that Europe and embraced Blu-Ray, China was developing its own format (surprise surprise), Australia as HD-DVD, however this is based off of reports almost a year old now.

The only country that seems to have a problem is America :laugh:

Nope..most of the world is HD DVD. You can see this by the number of releases of movies in HD DVD that are actualy BD exclusives in the STates. Australia was pretty much Blu-Ray but HD DVD is starting to get in there. HD DVD Group started a campaign there just recently. U.S. is divided and Japan is a wash but has BD preference because of recorders.

Yeah, whenever they mention HD, they mention Blu-Ray, nothing about HD-DVD, it's kinda like how IM and MSN (stupidly) mean the same thing here (giving people a Jabber address with they expect a MSN address screws with them)

I don't think we can conclude anything yet. The standard is still DVD, so we will have to wait until prices are more reasonable and people start deciding whether to get HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

I don't believe the HD format war is to be concluded any time soon. There are too many actors on the market and all of them tries to estimate which format will make the most money, which today is impossible to predict.

Although I've read somewhere that when the PS3 sell numbers increased in Europe the sale of Blu-ray also increased, and I think that the outcome of this development will be interesting.

Nope..most of the world is HD DVD. You can see this by the number of releases of movies in HD DVD that are actualy BD exclusives in the STates. Australia was pretty much Blu-Ray but HD DVD is starting to get in there. HD DVD Group started a campaign there just recently. U.S. is divided and Japan is a wash but has BD preference because of recorders.

Say what? :s

To heck with number of releases; number of sales determine market dominance. And to the OP, yes it is possible and only time will tell.

I really dont care, i probably prefer HD-dvd, but I just cant wait for this to be over!!!!!

I have a 2 HDTVs, soon 3. and right now im not buying anything. not dvds, (after i had over 200) not anything.. just moved, wanna get my collection underway, and i have not purchased anything for almost a year.

it has been back to renting for me.

it stinks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
UK adverts are heavily dominated with Blu ray. I am yet to see a single HD-DVD advert.

Also more Blu ray in stores here than HD-DVD.

Yeah I noticed that, but one thing I don't notice between BR and HD-DVD is the quality, they look as good as each other. So what do you think will make people decide which to go with? It's like VHS and BetaMax all over again...

i have a more gut feeling blu ray will win due to storage, but I'm keeping my mouth shut because i don't personally have a preference and I don't want to buy something that will eventually collect dust instead of playing movies... for the price of the players, they are not worth the risk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...