Astronomers Puzzled by Cosmic Black Hole

vincent
Well, because according to science, these things shouldn't exist.

Elaborate

Captain_Wang

What a transparent (and faulty) vendetta against science. Science doesn't decide things shouldn't exist for God's sake.

Boffa Jones

Maybe I read it wrong... but science doesn't say it shouldn't exist, but they did not expect to find one so large.

kaffra

those aliens are clearing the area for a galactic highway :p

TheElite
What a transparent (and faulty) vendetta against science. Science doesn't decide things shouldn't exist for God's sake.

What the hell? Why do you think I got something against science? :laugh:

I just said that as far as our limited scientific knowledge goes, these holes are something relatively new to us and we know nothing about them.

Maybe I read it wrong... but science doesn't say it shouldn't exist, but they did not expect to find one so large.

So it is possible to have holes with nothing in it? By "nothing", what do we mean?

gigapixels

No matter. It says it directly in the article.

E6400C2D2007

I volunteer to go there; Is it possible to do this or does it have to be someone special, certified, trained, etc?

Rob2687

If you've got nothing better to do for the next 5 billion years then knock yourself out.

MGS4-SS
I volunteer to go there; Is it possible to do this or does it have to be someone special, certified, trained, etc?

Only patience, since you will spend some millions of years inside the spaceship until you arrive.

Fred Derf

Space is mostly empty void as it is. This newly found spacial area is just more empty.

TheElite

Yes, but in other parts of space, there does seem to be matter there. If there is no "matter", then what the hell is it? A vaccum?

vincent
Yes, but in other parts of space, there does seem to be matter there. If there is no "matter", then what the hell is it? A vaccum?

Interstellar and mainly, intergalactic space are already considred vacuums, with diffuse atoms of hydrogen here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if some hydrogen showed up, they suspect amounts of Dark energy in this region, i don't think it's completely void. Perhaps this is just one unknown effect of expansion the universe is experiencing..

vincent
If you've got nothing better to do for the next 5 billion years then knock yourself out.

And that's traveling at the speed of light, which can have weird consequences.

Lt-DavidW
It could also be a statistical freak of nature, but that's probably less likely than a giant void, said James Condon, an astronomer at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. He wasn't part of Rudnick's team but is following up on the research.

Let's see, so it is less likely to be a perfectly plausible error in observation than a void in space that scientists cannot explain? Let's not rule out anything just yet Condon.

Remember guys, a scientist brought into a new job in order to explain the mysterious void is of course going to be inclined to agree that there is actually a mysterious void... and a job!

I dont know whats funnier, the fact that they found such a thing, or the fact that they cant explain it.

Instead of arriving at early conclusions (that a void exists) before they can even explain such conclusions, they instead should simply present the evidence as it is, and arrive at a rational conclusion that fits the evidence.

So it is possible to have holes with nothing in it? By "nothing", what do we mean?

Nothing: An absence of something.

I had no idea that was even possible. Let me get this straight. That area is completely devoid of matter? How can it exist? Something must be wrong if no star or galaxy can form inside of it.

I think this thread calls for a little topical music:

Imagine if you can what it is like to have no possessions at all.

Nothing. Very few people are able to imagine such a thing, to have nothing at all.

Well let us, you and I, try to imagine something a hundred times harder.

Not just to have nothing at all, but when there was nothing at all.

TheElite
Nothing: An absence of something.

Well, really its an absence of EVERYTHING. But how can that be? Technically, if there is NOTHING, it SHOULDN'T exist.

Lt-DavidW
Well, really its an absence of EVERYTHING. But how can that be? Technically, if there is NOTHING, it SHOULDN'T exist.

You make the automatic assumption that just because we are able to discuss something (in this case that something is 'nothing'), then that something must exist. By the word 'something', I obviously refer to the subject of context, rather than the 'something' that would infer a mattereous existance of a subject.

The very word 'nothing' itself is a something that we have ascribed to that which does not exist.

For example, we can discuss the flying spaghetti monster and Pastafarian theology all day, but I somehow doubt that our Lord Spaghetti exists at all.

Fred Derf

It is an absence of matter and an absence of energy. It is a void.

This isn't radically different from the vacuum of space. It is just more intense. The regular vacuum of space has the odd bit of matter if you look at a large enough area.

This vacuum or void in space is just bigger than others.

So the questions are:

Why hasn't some matter (however small) settled there?

If some matter used to be there then where did it go?

Could some matter be there but we are unable to perceive it due to another phenomenon?

At any rate, to address your point, space is quite commonly comprised of a absence of everything. You'd have to go looking for hydrogen atoms or other bits of energy.

Even a piece of rock has a fair bit empty space if you look at it at the molecular level.

acies

That doesn't make any sense :rofl:

MGS4-SS

You know that is not true.

Its a void, there is nothing.

They should check it with the radar here in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, just to see if they get similar results.