'Gender-Neutral' Bathrooms

I don't like the idea of unisex toilets, but I think that's just because it's different to what I am used to. To be fair, I don't like public toilets full stop. Thinking about it rationally I can see no problem with them. If people want to fornicate in a toilet, they won't take any notice of whether the sign on the door says "male" or "female".

Most public toilets these days include a disabled toilet that is gender neutral. Has British society fallen apart because of this?

Why don't we just leave the bathrooms the way they are. I mean like the majority of society is confident with their current gender, and we should not have to cater to those few who don't like who they are gender wise. This amalgamation of gender is only going to increase amounts of trans gender people. What a stupid idea.

Why shouldn't we cater to them? The majority of (Western) society is not blind or illiterate, I guess we shouldn't cater to people like that either then.

I meant that if we have trans gender-friendly bathrooms, it will increase it.

How? Are YOU going to become transgendered because of gender neutral toilets?

Your posts just scream insecurity.

vermont is just rediculus. they have been steered so far left it's getting retarded. Really i think the judges in that state are all pedifiles and that this is just another example of vermont being a little too pro alternative life styles. BTW. i hate the term tolerance or any other form of the word. I tolerate a baby crying. I tolerate long lines at the DMV. I shouldn't have to tolerate people making asses of themselves with their alternative lifestyles. And on discrimination.... why shouldn't we descriminate them? They descriminate themselves by making themselves different. By dressing and acting differnt, By insisting that they have a different restroom. They cause so much descrimination on themselves i'm surprised it isn't worse on them than it is.

OMG? Is this a serious post? Do you live under a rock?

Transgendered people, like homosexuals and heterosexuals, have existed for as long as humanity has. This is nothing new. It just so happens that as we become more civilised, people can be more honest about who they are without getting burnt at the stake.

vermont is just rediculus. they have been steered so far left it's getting retarded. Really i think the judges in that state are all pedifiles and that this is just another example of vermont being a little too pro alternative life styles. BTW. i hate the term tolerance or any other form of the word. I tolerate a baby crying. I tolerate long lines at the DMV. I shouldn't have to tolerate people making asses of themselves with their alternative lifestyles. And on discrimination.... why shouldn't we descriminate them? They descriminate themselves by making themselves different. By dressing and acting differnt, By insisting that they have a different restroom. They cause so much descrimination on themselves i'm surprised it isn't worse on them than it is.

I don't know, maybe if I were "different", I would prefer a little human compassion, rather than hate and discimination. So therefore I tend to treat others the same way. Isn't that like, Jesus' Golden Law?

Anyways, no one is forcing everyone to have a transgender bathroom. One school simply decided that it would accomidate a group of individuals who spend tens of thousands of dollars to live and learn there, b making them more comfortable. BFD.

What is actually new is the way we shun them. They actually used to have elevated positions rather than curiosities!

Actually, this is still the case in some parts of the world. For instance, India, which has a significant portion of the world's population, has a population of "hijra" or transgendered people who hold a unique and significant religious role in society. Unfortunately, western influence, especially British colonization, has pushed this population to the margins of society. This means that they occupy a holy position, but also have the contradictory position of outcasts.

Hijra

OMG? Is this a serious post? Do you live under a rock?

Transgendered people, like homosexuals and heterosexuals, have existed for as long as humanity has. This is nothing new. It just so happens that as we become more civilised, people can be more honest about who they are without getting burnt at the stake.

Persephone, I've learned to ignore posts full of so much hate that the person writing them is blinded to logic. Calling all of the judges (what do judges have to do with this at all?) in the state of Vermont pedophiles because she doesn't agree with a university adding a couple of bathrooms is closer to flamebait than any coherent thought.

lets get one thing clear. I am an ATHIEST. And i don't think accomidating a VERY SMALL MINORITY and making them comfortable while making the vast majority uncomfortable is a good way to build up good feelings for said minority. And my point is that just because you are different doesn't mean that you have to make sure everyone else knows it too. Personally I like the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy for all aspects of life. Don't ask, don't tell is basically "I don't want to know and i don't want to hear about it".. tolerence, open-minded, and ignorant and any varient of them are key words that liberals use to try to shame and shutup any opposition to them trying to completely change the moral fiber of the world. Personally, i never let a liberal get away with using these bull**** words. Especially when they violate them themselves when they actively discriminate against religous people and conservatives? Where is your tolerence and open-mindedness when it comes to conservative stand points? Huh? That's right, you threw them down drain because it NEVER was about tolerence or open-mindedness. It was just about changing the world into a liberal happy land where abortions are given to 12-year-olds with out question, gay marriages happen with a happy bliss, where the minorities interest over-rides the majority, where border laws aren't enforced, where laws in general arn't enforced, where a child rapest gets probation and "understanding" from the community. Liberals make me sick, especially when they start acting like they are intellectuals. In reality there hasn't been a true liberal intellectual since Marx and all of his ideas fell through.

Btw, i don't have any compassion for someone who makes an ass out of himself in public acting like a fairy or anything like that. I don't have compassion for him when he gets the **** beat out of him for how he acts although i don't particularly agree with him getting the ass kick out of him. And you whether or not you know it discriminate every damn day of your life. You like any other human being sum up a person with a single glance. You might never admit it but you do. And the Golden Rule is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and if i were gay or in some gender identity crisis i would still put on a public appearence which wouldn't draw any attention to myself. The fact is, is that no one but your friends and family need to know that your are gay, les, bi, or transgender... I don't want to know, and no one else wants to know as it's really none of our business so i ask any GLBT people to stop broadcasting it like anyone should care.

I don't know, maybe if I were "different", I would prefer a little human compassion, rather than hate and discimination. So therefore I tend to treat others the same way. Isn't that like, Jesus' Golden Law?

Anyways, no one is forcing everyone to have a transgender bathroom. One school simply decided that it would accomidate a group of individuals who spend tens of thousands of dollars to live and learn there, b making them more comfortable. BFD.

descrimination != hate. as said above everyone decriminates and when people go out of their way to be or act different or have special accomidations they are asking for discrimination, positive or negative. And second. this is my rant against Vermont which has over the past couple years be decsending into an abyss of stupidity, so don't mind me.

Actually, this is still the case in some parts of the world. For instance, India, which has a significant portion of the world's population, has a population of "hijra" or transgendered people who hold a unique and significant religious role in society. Unfortunately, western influence, especially British colonization, has pushed this population to the margins of society. This means that they occupy a holy position, but also have the contradictory position of outcasts.

Hijra

Persephone, I've learned to ignore posts full of so much hate that the person writing them is blinded to logic. Calling all of the judges (what do judges have to do with this at all?) in the state of Vermont pedophiles because she doesn't agree with a university adding a couple of bathrooms is closer to flamebait than any coherent thought.

snip

Wow, you have a very skewed view of reality.

I'm a liberal. I think that all women should get abortions at least once in their life because I am Pro-Abortion. I think that every gay marriage should be broadcast on television and all straight people should be forced to watch it. I think that every child molester and rapist had a good reason for doing what he/she did, because of course the victim was actually asking for it and they should both go to counseling together. Oh, and in my democratic society the minority wins because I'm a pansy and don't think any of my views really count anyway.

sheesh! Glad we got that out in the open.

Dear god, I hate what society is becoming. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. We need to stop catering to every little whiny minority group. What every happened to the majority rules? Now it's if you're a minority, whine and bitch like little babies and you will get your way. Makes me want to move to the moon and leave all this crap behind.

Dear god, I hate what society is becoming. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. We need to stop catering to every little whiny minority group. What every happened to the majority rules? Now it's if you're a minority, whine and bitch like little babies and you will get your way. Makes me want to move to the moon and leave all this crap behind.

I love people talk about Democracy and really have no idea what it means. Our system is set up to protect minorities. In the 18th Century in France, after the Revolution, there was a little known thing called the "Reign of Terror". This was the ultimate result of what is now called the "tyranny of the majority".

Or how about every minority that has been awarded their rights (blacks, women, disabled, etc)? If we ruled strictly by majority, this would never have happened.

Tell me this: When was the last time a "whiny minority group" getting rights affected you? How does an extra bathroom affect you? So, to review: minorities get something that helps them, it doesn't affect you in any way, and yet you still whine and complain about it? Is it only the majority like you that gets to whine and complain, then?

I love people talk about Democracy and really have no idea what it means. Our system is set up to protect minorities. In the 18th Century in France, after the Revolution, there was a little known thing called the "Reign of Terror". This was the ultimate result of what is now called the "tyranny of the majority".

Or how about every minority that has been awarded their rights (blacks, women, disabled, etc)? If we ruled strictly by majority, this would never have happened.

Tell me this: When was the last time a "whiny minority group" getting rights affected you? How does an extra bathroom affect you? So, to review: minorities get something that helps them, it doesn't affect you in any way, and yet you still whine and complain about it? Is it only the majority like you that gets to whine and complain, then?

(Y) (Y) (Y)

If this is just a one person bathroom stall, then why such a big deal? A porta-potty is gender-neutral... there are plenty of places that have one-person bathroom stalls.

Instead of 'gender-neutral' restrooms, how about extending the partitions between stalls and urinals to the floor and ceiling, giving urinals locking doors and all stalls better locking doors without gaps you can see around, and calling them 'restrooms'?

That sound a lot cheaper than running new plumbing to a room that supports only one person at a time. You could probably retrofit an entire restroom with 8 full toilets and 8 urinals for around the cost of building 4 'gender-neutrals'- and serve twice as many people.

A "whiny minority group" getting the right to pee somewhere, particularly when they already have a bathroom more than capable of accomodating their needs, is not the same as oppressing people's right to vote, travel or have the same opportunities for employment.

Also, the US system of government was not set up to protect the minorities. It was intended to protect the individual from government.

Instead of 'gender-neutral' restrooms, how about extending the partitions between stalls and urinals to the floor and ceiling, giving urinals locking doors and all stalls better locking doors without gaps you can see around, and calling them 'restrooms'?

That sound a lot cheaper than running new plumbing to a room that supports only one person at a time. You could probably retrofit an entire restroom with 8 full toilets and 8 urinals for around the cost of building 4 'gender-neutrals'- and serve twice as many people.

I agree completely.

Also, the US system of government was not set up to protect the minorities. It was intended to protect the individual from government.

I disagree completely. The separation of powers and the checks and balances system set up in the constitution, along with the 14th Amendment all serve to protect minority interests, both at the state, group, and individual level.

I would suggest reading Harry N. Hirsch, specifically "A Theory of Liberty".