Sept 5th - Apple's Beat Goes On Event

lol @ the last post ^^ unfortunate timing.

Does ANYONE know if they've added a shuffle toggle button to the main menu???

I've been waiting for this since the first damn ipod.

OK then rec kris. Now the others have explained what you mean I think it does make sense and if you read point 6 in this article (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...the-2007-ipods/) I think that means the answer to your question is yes :)

Is that what you meant? What point 6 says?

Yeah, probably the same one as you: A 16GB iPod touch. To me the classic is little more than an iPod 5,75g, and I definitely want something more "fresh" after two years of owning a 5g. :) :p

Currently I'm trying to sell my iPod 5g and some extras like the Universal Dock and Apple Remote. If I can get a decent price for it, all should be well.

I definitely agree, it's not really a 6G just yet.

Let me know if you're going to do a review, since i will post one if you can't be bothered.

I'll probably get a 16gb Touch, just hope it's compatible with my set of iPod speakers I purchased.

Is the iPhone generally compatible with things like that? It doesn't do much, just play through the dock connector and have a remote to navigate the menus, so I should imagine it would work ok..!

I definitely agree, it's not really a 6G just yet.

Let me know if you're going to do a review, since i will post one if you can't be bothered.

Nope it definitely isn't.

About the review: Maybe we can do some joint venture haha. ;)

Nope it definitely isn't.

About the review: Maybe we can do some joint venture haha. ;)

Oh that does sound like a plan, i'm definitely a photo guy, so i could have that covered, maybe stuff about the sound quality but we could sort all that out when we actually get them, deal?

Well, I got off school early today, so I'd though I'd drop by my local Apple Store and see what they had. Being the sucker I am, I walked out with the 8 GB iPod nano (black). Trust me on this, it's something you really need to hold and see up close to appreciate. The pictures on Apple's site make it look 100x uglier than it really is. What you can't see is that the front side edges are beveled into the back, so it's a very nice rounded shape. Once you actually use it, you'll really like it. And the new iPod OS is quite nice, too. They had the iPod classic as well, and the OS very rather sluggish and slow on it, but on the nano, it was very quick.

I'll probably write up a quick review later.

Sounds good Quillz, sounds good.

Did you get to try out the others in the range?

All new models other than the iPod touch were on display. I saw the 80 GB/160 GB iPod classic, as well as all the new colors of the shuffle/nano. The colors aren't the greatest, but they do look better than what you see on Apple's site.

I must say I'm quite impressed with the 3G nano, especially after using a 2G nano for a year or so that had tons of dust stuck underneath the plastic lens. The new UI is fun, and videos are very sharp. Yes, it's a small screen, but it has a good resolution, so everything is bright and legible. I've also noticed the font has changed, it's no longer Podium Sans, but something else. You can tell because the "6" and "9" look different now, the tails are more rounded. It could be Lucida Grande, but I'm not entirely sure.

Oh that does sound like a plan, i'm definitely a photo guy, so i could have that covered, maybe stuff about the sound quality but we could sort all that out when we actually get them, deal?

Sure. :)

I'm sorry if it has already been asked before, but why does the new nano have the black borders on the sides of the screen about four times thicker than at the top and bottom? I'm not going to elaborate on why I don't like the design of the new nanos, as it is merely a matter of subjective preference (though I'd love to measure that preference among Neowin users), but those thicker borders are just objectively ugly.

http://images.apple.com/ipodnano/gallery/i...rge20070905.jpg

EDIT: Okay, I will elaborate just a bit, if anyone cares to know what I think. In one episode of The Talk Show John Gruber was ridiculing the nano mockups that were floating around the Web, saying that the key to a product being pretty had always been proportions. If something has proper proportions, you instantly perceive it as pretty. The reason he thought the mockups were false was that they had bad proportions. That's what I think the problem with the new nanos is (as they're pretty close to the mockups). End of rant.

Edited by Koyder

On a side note: Why doesn't the iPod touch have Mail on it?! :blink:

And what I'd really like to know is if the iPod touch can acces any wireless internet connection. My college allows us to use their wireless network. But in order for us to use it we have to manually modify our wireless connection settings in System Preferences > Network. Is this possible on an iPod touch as well? I can't really find any answers to these questions on the Apple site. :/

Edited by .Neo

And the new iPod OS is quite nice, too. They had the iPod classic as well, and the OS very rather sluggish and slow on it, but on the nano, it was very quick.

I'll probably write up a quick review later.

That's hard to believe. I would think it would run much better on the classic than the nano.

That's hard to believe. I would think it would run much better on the classic than the nano.

Depends upon the amount of music it has, the more is most likely to be more sluggish due to lack of indexing, and large amounts of data.

Depends upon the amount of music it has, the more is most likely to be more sluggish due to lack of indexing, and large amounts of data.

the floor models i have seen in any apple store barely have anything on them.

the floor models i have seen in any apple store barely have anything on them.

Coupled with the fact that the nano's are flash based whilst the classics are hdd based.

It doesn't, and it's because the classic uses a hard drive. Hard drives are slower than flash memory, as the head has to be moved everytime to access data. But flash memory is solid state, and there are no moving parts, so it's faster. If you don't believe me, try it out for yourself. Run Cover Flow on the classic and nano at the same time, and it's slower on the classic.

Ordered my 16gb iPod touch earlier.

Can't wait for October :woot:

I did as well, but recently canceled my pre-order for a few reasons. I think I'd prefer to just pick it up in the Apple store a few days later. I remember everyone assumed the iPhone would be sold out, but I went to the store on June 29 and they had plenty in stock.

I did as well, but recently canceled my pre-order for a few reasons. I think I'd prefer to just pick it up in the Apple store a few days later. I remember everyone assumed the iPhone would be sold out, but I went to the store on June 29 and they had plenty in stock.

Oh, I'd love to do the same. Unfortunately the nearest Apple store is a 2 hour drive from me, so it's not really an option.

I've only ever been to one Apple store, and that was in Orlando. I'm surprised one hasn't opened in my town (Newcastle, UK).

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/10...calendar-input/

I'm seriously considering not buying the iPod touch if they keep crippling the thing like this. No Mail, no Notes app and now they got rid of Calendar input as well? If I can't do much else on the touch than I'm able to do with a regular iPod, what's the point in buying one?

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/10...calendar-input/

I'm seriously considering not buying the iPod touch if they keep crippling the thing like this. No Mail, no Notes app and now they got rid of Calendar input as well? If I can't do much else on the touch than I'm able to do with a regular iPod, what's the point in buying one?

This is a strange move by Apple but who knows, by the time they hit the shelves they may change a few things. However if they don't, then there are always firmware updates.

As for the notes/mail app - I'm sure someone will find a way to put them onto the Touch as the Touch uses the same OS as the iPhone or Apple may even add them via updates in the near future.