• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

move/copy files to flash drive

chillycanadian    0

i'm running vista home premium on my dell laptop. whenever i try to copy some, not all, but some, individual music files or entire music folders to my kingston flash drive i get this message :

"Are you sure you want to copy this folder without its properties? The folder has properties that cannot be copied to the new location."

or if i'm just trying to copy a single file:

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties? The file has properties that cannot be copied to the new location."

this will also happen with certain .jpg and .avi files as well...

the read-only or hidden attributes are not checked when i right click > properties

i've even tried (tested) the following:

right click on the file > properties >details tab > remove properties and personal information

but that hasn't worked either

any help appreciated

night_stalker_z    9

Is the flash drive formatted as FAT or FAT32? The only reason i can think off is that the permissions are NTFS permissions on the hard drive.

chillycanadian    0
Is the flash drive formatted as FAT or FAT32? The only reason i can think off is that the permissions are NTFS permissions on the hard drive.

flash drive is formated FAT32 ...

soumyasch    22

Its because Windows stores file metadata on NTFS using a feature known as Alternate Data Streams. That is, the metadata is stored in a different "stream" (a filesystem object with a different identity) than the stream which holds the file data. Since FAT32 does not support ADS, data in these alternate streams cannot be copied, and will be lost if you proceed with the copy.

However, for media files, if you use managers like WMP, iTunes, Picasa, they would have merged some of the ADS data (like album, artist etc) into the file itself. So, not everything will be lost.