Sony STRDG910 Receiver problem

First, I don't have any money at the moment to buy digital audio cables for the respective game devices, nor do I have money for magnetically shielded, decent-priced 5.1 speakers and the necessary speaker cables. Lastly, I don't have money for a 360 Elite.

With that in mind...

The PS3 and High-Def Set Top Box are working fine, as they use HDMI. Video and sound are excellent.

The PS2 and 360 are transmitting excellent video via their respective Component cables. However, despite the fact I have securely fit their respective RCA Audio cables to the receiver, and to the TV, there is no sound on either of them. I even switched the TV to the "Component 1" channel (the port that the Component cable from the receiver to the TV is connected to), but still no sound.

It seems to me that this dillema is forcing me to buy digital audio cables, speakers and speaker cables - a $1000+ (australian dollars) headache I don't really need right now!

What is the solution here people? I have connected the devices and their cords securely, they are in the right ports, and there is a cord going from the receiver to the TV. I even set the receiver to use Analog Sound. Yet even after all that, the picture is 100% but the sound is STILL not present!

What can I do?

Why is your sound being routed to your receiver and not your TV? Do you have a stereo setup or a surround sound option?

If your using RCA outputs for the 360 and PS2 the most you will receive is a stereo signal. What receiver are you running? As far as expensive cables, see if these guys ship to Australia: www.monoprice.com. Only the delusional audiophile will spend that much on a single cable :rolleyes:

Only the delusional audiophile will spend that much on a single cable :rolleyes:
It seems to me that this dillema is forcing me to buy digital audio cables, speakers and speaker cables - a $1000+ (australian dollars)

Or someone who's buying speakers with the cables.

First, I don't have any money at the moment to buy digital audio cables for the respective game devices, nor do I have money for magnetically shielded, decent-priced 5.1 speakers and the necessary speaker cables. Lastly, I don't have money for a 360 Elite.

With that in mind...

The PS3 and High-Def Set Top Box are working fine, as they use HDMI. Video and sound are excellent.

The PS2 and 360 are transmitting excellent video via their respective Component cables. However, despite the fact I have securely fit their respective RCA Audio cables to the receiver, and to the TV, there is no sound on either of them. I even switched the TV to the "Component 1" channel (the port that the Component cable from the receiver to the TV is connected to), but still no sound.

It seems to me that this dillema is forcing me to buy digital audio cables, speakers and speaker cables - a $1000+ (australian dollars) headache I don't really need right now!

What is the solution here people? I have connected the devices and their cords securely, they are in the right ports, and there is a cord going from the receiver to the TV. I even set the receiver to use Analog Sound. Yet even after all that, the picture is 100% but the sound is STILL not present!

What can I do?

You've obviously missed a step in your connections and/or your switching settings on both the receiver and TV. I can't believe you have a defective Xbox AND and defective PS3. Unhook everything and start over.

They are not defective, as they work 100% fine on both audio and video when DIRECTLY connected to my TV.

I don't have any external speakers setup whatsoever. The only thing trasmitting sound are the "TV's speakers", nothing more. With the PS3 and Set Top Box (which run on HDMI), I get 100% video and audio. With the PS2 and 360 (which use Component for video and RCA for audio), I get great video but no sound.

I have the receiver (Sony STRDG910S) set up correctly, or so I believed. The HDMI cords for the PS3 and the STB are connected to the receiver, and from there a HDMI cord from the receiver to the TV.

The Component cords for the PS2 and 360 are connected to the receiver as well (no prob there as video is 100%). From there, I have a Component cord going to the TV. I also have RCA audio cords running from the PS2 and 360 to the receiver, and from there another RCA cord running from the receiver to the TV.

Is this correct, or not?

Even when I connected ONLY the PS2 to the receiver, and no other device, there was still no sound from it.

Well there you go. Providing your diagram is accurate, your RCA cables going to your tv from the receiver should be Audio "Out" not "In". Only your 360 and PS2 should be plugged into the "input" jacks of the receiver. The RCA jacks going to your TV should be plugged into "input" as well.

The back of the TV (Samsung Slimfit CRT HDTV) has an "AV Out" port for audio (and yellow video, but this is not being used of course). I used an RCA audio cable to connect this to the "TV In" of the receiver.

But even when the appropriate audio settings were made in all devices (receiver, ps2, 360), there was still no sound at all.

What's the go with that?

*irritated sigh*

Because I do not have external speakers at this time!

I bought optical digital audio cables for both devices recently, but even that did not cure the "no sound" problem.

Now what will I do?

I'm confused, if you have no external speakers, how do you know you're receiver isn't putting out any sound? Plus, you are running sound out from your TV to the receiver but don't have any sound going in to the TV from the ps2 or 360.

It probably is putting sound. But I need that sound to go through the TV's speakers for the time being.

When I test both devices by playing a game, I hear no sound whatsoever from either of them.

Understood. Now how do I get sound to go to from the PS2 and 360, through the receiver and to the TV?

The audio settings are all correct on both devices, so they should be doing their *long list of profanities* jobs!!

*irritated sigh*

I said above that I haven't drawn any audio connections on the new diagram because I have no f-ing idea what to do anymore!!! I've tried everything I can think of and there is still no sound.

Sounds like you have enough cable to the receiver and then to the TV; purchase couplers so there is a direct connection to the tv set.

If you have everything set up right, you probably do not have the correct device selected on the receiver when outputting the sound. I suggest you consult your user manual on this.

ok.. i think this should work..

from the ps2 connect the red and white to the video 2 AUDIO IN

from the xbox 360 connect the red and white to video 1 AUDIO IN

next connect a new red and white from the video 2 AUDIO OUT to the TV CMP1 red and white

now you should be able to select which audio input to use with each video input on the receiver.... let us know if that works..

now if there is still no sound when you select video 2 for audio... be sure you change the input mode to COAX...

Edited by jerzdawg