• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ford Focus : Front Disk Brake Rotors Need Replacing After 40K Kms

1Frothy    0

I don't know if this thread belongs here or not. But I'm very frustrated and annoyed by my 2004 Ford Focus.

I took it into its yearly service, the usual were replaced - oil, oil filter etc... But then when I went to pick the car up after service I found the service person telling me that I needed my pads and disc rotors replaced... After just 40K Kms!!!

This can't be right?

I used to own a dull Hyundai and neither the pads or the rotors were replaced or needed to be replaced for as long as I had the car. The car was traded in when it had 120K Kms on the clock!

Can someone offer some advice? Should I get genuine Ford Focus rotors or go for non-genuine. I don't want to go through this again in another 40K Kms.

+Human.Online    8,595

Pads I could understand but disks too?

I'd go non genuine (I always do) - just as good, especially as originals just aren't lasting!

1Frothy    0
Pads I could understand but disks too?

I'd go non genuine (I always do) - just as good, especially as originals just aren't lasting!

That does sound odd huh? I think I'm going to go non genuine as you say.

I also found this post after googling about.

Do yourself a favour, next time don't put the genuine parts on. Buy aftermarket rotors (there are about 5 major manufacturers in Aust worth buying) and fit a set of Bendix pads and you will be amazed at the huge klm difference you get out of them then.

and...

There are a lot of others guilty of this same problem. Just look at how many cars you see on the road with the tell tale brake dust (large amounts) on the front wheels all the time."

VGVL    0

That sounds about right. I replace the brake pads every 12,500km and the rotors every 25,000km or so.

Considering how quickly they slow me down from 220km/h, I think they are well worth the cost.

+Human.Online    8,595

Huezo: Blah blah blah, brag about how fast I drive blah blah blah!

Pilsbury    0

It is prefectly possible for a set of discs to wear out in that distance. A number of things can cause excessive wear - and having a car checked yearly (whether it needs it or not... :rolleyes: ) points to one of them being a likely cause - well worn pads will do the job nicely.

+Leddy    0
That sounds about right. I replace the brake pads every 12,500km and the rotors every 25,000km or so.

Considering how quickly they slow me down from 220km/h, I think they are well worth the cost.

....I'll ignore the elitism there, and work on what you're actually saying...

Pads every 12.5 and rotors every 25 are very concerning; tells us how you drive. Recklessly.

1Frothy    0
....I'll ignore the elitism there, and work on what you're actually saying...

Pads every 12.5 and rotors every 25 are very concerning; tells us how you drive. Recklessly.

Thing is myself and my wife drive within the speed limits and we don't race the car or slide it sideways into the driveway.

Most of its life, the car doesn't go above 60Km/h and we only go out on the freeway when we visit family - about once a month and we don't go from 110Km/h to 0Km/h in 5 seconds. We drive the car conservatively.

So the reason why I'm so concerned about the fast wear of the disk rotors.

hobblyhoy    0

one of 3 things has happened:

1- your mechanic is playing you.

2- The breaks are defective/crap

3- You've discovered a way to destroy yours breaks.

heh. +1

1Frothy    0
Have a quick look at

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.pht...ts-direct.phtml

and

http://www.kwik-fit.com/brake-wear.asp

From what you have said you do a lot more city driving than motorway. This wears brake discs down more. Lots of irregular breaking vs occasional breaking.

So I rang up a local Car Service Place called "Midas". The guy explained to me that what happens is that the Ford Focus is a European made car with disks rotors and pads to suit European driving conditions (ie, Cold, Icy and Fast Driving), which is quite different to Australian conditions where there is a lot of stop and start plus hot weather. So the pads wear the rotors out. And with these European cars there rotors don't come with enough steel for them to be machined.

Pretty annoyed at Ford Australia. They import a car and don't customize it for the local market and driving conditions, therefore costing the owner.

Anyway. Midas can do my new non-genuine rotors and Bendix (http://www.bendix.com.au/) pads all up for $350 where Ford Australia were going to charge me $550 for the soft wearing rotors and hard pads.

gollux    0
I don't know if this thread belongs here or not. But I'm very frustrated and annoyed by my 2004 Ford Focus.

I took it into its yearly service, the usual were replaced - oil, oil filter etc... But then when I went to pick the car up after service I found the service person telling me that I needed my pads and disc rotors replaced... After just 40K Kms!!!

This can't be right?

I used to own a dull Hyundai and neither the pads or the rotors were replaced or needed to be replaced for as long as I had the car. The car was traded in when it had 120K Kms on the clock!

Can someone offer some advice? Should I get genuine Ford Focus rotors or go for non-genuine. I don't want to go through this again in another 40K Kms.

Depending on how hard you're using your brakes, if you're a good driver, you should get 30,000 miles/ 48,000 km out of a set of pads. Driving harder with bad braking technique vastly shortens the life. Sounds like you warped the rotors so bad they cannot be turned down to resurface them, otherwise they should last through 3-4 pad changes. Quality aftermarket rotors and pads will work just fine on this vehicle and can save you over the pricey OEM parts.

First question, did the front end shudder when you applied the brakes? That would indicate warpage. If you do not have this symptom, then the only reason to replace the rotors is if they have worn thinner than the service limit. Pointedly ask the dealer if the rotors can be turned and get a really good reason as to why that isn't possible. Then ask around for a quality independent service shop and get a second opinion.

What is the total mileage on this vehicle?

Yorak    416

Unfortunately the quality of Ford's has gone down in the last 5 years. I wouldn't even buy one over a Kia these days. Our family had 4 different Ford vehicles, and after they had so many problems (usually once they hit 80-120k miles) they fall apart. We have Honda/Toyota now. ;)

Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add, but know that you aren't alone if you are facing quality issues. Good luck.

1Frothy    0
Depending on how hard you're using your brakes, if you're a good driver, you should get 30,000 miles/ 48,000 km out of a set of pads. Driving harder with bad braking technique vastly shortens the life. Sounds like you warped the rotors so bad they cannot be turned down to resurface them, otherwise they should last through 3-4 pad changes. Quality aftermarket rotors and pads will work just fine on this vehicle and can save you over the pricey OEM parts.

First question, did the front end shudder when you applied the brakes? That would indicate warpage. If you do not have this symptom, then the only reason to replace the rotors is if they have worn thinner than the service limit. Pointedly ask the dealer if the rotors can be turned and get a really good reason as to why that isn't possible. Then ask around for a quality independent service shop and get a second opinion.

What is the total mileage on this vehicle?

OMG I feel like I've just been told off. :D Ok. j/k

Thing is before this car we had an uninspiring Hyundai. Drove it just the same way and the pads & disk rotors were still fine after 120,000 Km's! So I hope its not our driving.

The front end doesn't shudder when braking. Braking is smooth. Just that they rotors are at minimum width - thats what Ford's Service Department told us.

Yeah, the Midas place - it has a good reputation amongst friends and family is going to be doing the job with non-genuine Australian made parts. And $200 Cheaper!

Unfortunately the quality of Ford's has gone down in the last 5 years. I wouldn't even buy one over a Kia these days. Our family had 4 different Ford vehicles, and after they had so many problems (usually once they hit 80-120k miles) they fall apart. We have Honda/Toyota now. ;)

Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add, but know that you aren't alone if you are facing quality issues. Good luck.

:( Thanks Yorak. I don't think we will buy Ford again too. Feeling quite disappointed.

strekship    16
So I rang up a local Car Service Place called "Midas". The guy explained to me that what happens is that the Ford Focus is a European made car with disks rotors and pads to suit European driving conditions (ie, Cold, Icy and Fast Driving), which is quite different to Australian conditions where there is a lot of stop and start plus hot weather. So the pads wear the rotors out. And with these European cars there rotors don't come with enough steel for them to be machined.

Pretty annoyed at Ford Australia. They import a car and don't customize it for the local market and driving conditions, therefore costing the owner.

Anyway. Midas can do my new non-genuine rotors and Bendix (http://www.bendix.com.au/) pads all up for $350 where Ford Australia were going to charge me $550 for the soft wearing rotors and hard pads.

I just got my rotors and pads replaced at midas. They did a good job of it.

1Frothy    0

Happy to say car is all fixed now. My neighbor who is with the Air Force (Maintenance Crew) fitted the new rotors and pads. So all it cost me at the end was $170 for the parts and I happily purchased my friendly neighbor a JW Black as a thankyou. I insisted. So now the Focus is braking perfectly.

Attached a picture too! :D

post-168601-1188988495.jpg

Sweet!

Pilsbury    0

I'd call that rubbish to be honest. The Focus is one of Ford's "World Cars" and is rigourously tested all over the world during it's development to make it suitable for all environments. There are plenty of places in the south of Europe (and other markets such as the US) that have similar weather conditions to Australia.

1Frothy    0
I'd call that rubbish to be honest. The Focus is one of Ford's "World Cars" and is rigourously tested all over the world during it's development to make it suitable for all environments. There are plenty of places in the south of Europe (and other markets such as the US) that have similar weather conditions to Australia.

Apparently its true. Checked with three different workshops and that's what they tell me. Off the record - a ford service employee verified the story. So believe it or not, I'm afraid.

Nose Nuggets    0

i red a few posts before i realized where this thread is going. so let me get right to brass tacks here.

the rate at which your pads and rotors ware has almost nothing do with how fast or "recklessly" you drive. it has everything to do with your driving habits. me, for example, have been on my original brake pads and rotors for all 32K miles of my cars life. and i expect the pads to last at least another 10 consider how much meat i have on them. conversely however, im on my third set of tires. now, i drive faster then probably most people on this board. i dont mean to gloat or anything, thats not my intention, im purly trying to make a point. the fact of the matter is brakes are not designed to slow your car down, as much as you may think. The purpose of brakes is to STOP your car. not maintain speed, but stop. instead of slowing down for turns i just scrub all my speed on entry. its fun, it makes lots of tire noise and i slide around a lot. its fun for me and makes driving enjoyable.

most people tap the brakes CONSTANTLY on the freeway to maintain distance. i never ever do that. the reason you dont want to do this is because of the properties that brakes use to be effective. Brakes slow your car by changing all that momentum energy into heat. if you do not give your brake components adequate time to cool before applying them again then the heat build and builds, once the maximum retainable heat amount has bean reached the components begin to deteriorate. usually that means warping as the metal has become maluable due to the heat. think about a blacksmith forging iron. there is no way he could bend and mold cold steel so he heats it up to make it weaker. same properties apply to your brake components.

the reason your rotors need to be swapped is probably because they are heat checked or warped from constant light braking at moderate to high speed. stop that crap. just pulling your foot off the gas peddle will slow your car quickly. you have the drag created by the entire car, the friction of 4 giant rubber contact patches that are hot at sticky on the road as well as the drag created by the entire drive line.

FYI midus gave you a nicly packaged garbage answer to your logical question.

/i apologize if it has spelling errors or is hard to read i did not have time to proof read it.

1Frothy    0

Thanks for that Nose Nuggets but my discs were not warped they were at minimum thickness because of the pads & discs combination that Ford fitted onto my 2004 Ford Focus. This has been a common complaint for Ford customers who own the Focus in Australia.

I'm not a brake tapper either :) Nor do I skid my car sideways into my driveway. :p

installshield_freak    5

Look for Recalls and TSB's "Technical Service Bulletins." They will ensure the best for your car. I own a 1996 Ford Thunderbird LX w/ a 4.6L Engine w/ 210500 On the clock. No-Leaks and no problems.

Nose Nuggets    0

did you request the old rotors back?

raskren    0

Yeah, I've read about enough of that.

1Frothy    0
did you request the old rotors back?

My friend from the military did the work for me. I left the old discs at his friends garage, he could use them for something. I didn't want them.