• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Backlight bleed?

kak    0

Samsung LN-T4066f

Noticed it for the first time tonight. Was watching Remember the Titans and I noticed it coming in from the top two corners the entire time. It was especially noticeable during the football games when it would be showing the sky too. I have a four year in-store warranty. Is this bad enough to warrant me taking it back?

Edited by kak

Boz    1,324

Got your PM..sorry..I'm slammed with work so I can't follow all topics.

Okay, well you want to try to experiment with a few different movies and setttings..if you still see this bleeding then you should definitely ask them to replace it or fix it. I mean if you did nothing and these anomalies started appearing out of the blue then there's something wrong with the TV. No HD movie should do this.

It's not normal behavior and you should not settle for "a little bit of bleed". I will tell you, I had a little bit of image retention on my Plasma when I got it and I asked them to come, take the plasma and then bring me the new one to install in the home.

You should try to ask them if you bought it recently.

Don't settle. The bottom line is that's your money you are waching bleed there :D

But before you do, don't forget to check your cables. Sometimes the cables are not firmly secured or you moved the DVD/BD/HD DVD player a bit and the back of it got unplugged a little, or just enough to cause a slight disconnect. Check those first. If that's not the reason, then there's definitely something wrong with the TV.

kak    0

The set is under a month old. Its apparent on the main screen (XMB?) on the PS3 and stays during source switches. I've tried switching through the display modes and even taking the backlight setting down. I'll be going up to Best Buy tomorrow and talking to my buddy to see if I can get it fixed.

kak    0

Seems to be a problem with the lineup. Never heard of it until today, but it is called flash-lighting. Apparently the only fix (that I have found thus far) is to set the backlight levels low with the power saving setting to high and/or put a fan behind the TV. I haven't read anything bad about the 4071 and I may be able to get a deal on it. Hopefully I can re-redeem the coupon I used on the 4066f if I choose to move up a model within the 30 days. We'll see.

bangbang023    31

What level do you have the backlight at? I wouldn't recommend anything above 6 anyway. If you turn it down, the problem may lessen or even disappear.

kak    0

Its at 7 now. The problem only appears when the LCD gets hot. I'm going to give it a few more days on adjusted settings and see if it is persistent. I just turned the TV on after waking up and the TV is pitch black.

Would you recommend me taking it back for the 4071 alone? It does 1080p24, 120Hz, as well as a 25,000:1 contrast ratio, but you probably already know that :)

bangbang023    31

The 4071 is nice, but the 120hz processing is spotty. I know all these TV's sporting it are supposed to make things smoother, but there are times it does a poor job. At work, on one channel, there's a clip from the last Xmen movie. A slow motion scene in this clip gets brutalized by the 120hz processing and it becomes choppy. Also, the processing can result in ghosting sometimes. It's a beautiful set, but I'm not sure the 120hz processing is worth the extra cash right now.

kak    0

What about the 1080p24?

I think the 4066 aesthetically looks better as well. I'm not sure what the glass edges on the 71 are about.

BL is @ 7, been running for a few hours. Switched to an empty source for a black screen to see if the lights were still there, nothing. It was on Dynamic on the PS3 when this happened (making the BL run @ 10).

bangbang023    31

Keep it off dynamic and leave it on user controls. The dynamic setting is way too over blown to give a truly good picture. Backlight needs to be down around 5 or 6, for instance and the sharpness should also be lowered as, I think, they default to something like 75%.

kak    0
Keep it off dynamic and leave it on user controls. The dynamic setting is way too over blown to give a truly good picture. Backlight needs to be down around 5 or 6, for instance and the sharpness should also be lowered as, I think, they default to something like 75%.

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 75

Color: 60

Tint: 50/50

Backlight: 6

Color Tone: Normal

Looks good so far. Going to change it on the PS3 and check out hi-def in it. So far digital cable looks fine (getting HD soon, have to sort out bills w/roommates).

Switched sources, flashlights are back. Ugh.

bangbang023    31

Make sure you set it for the PS3's input. The set should have input independent settings. Also, that sharpness should be lowered to about 50 or so.

kak    0

I moved the settings over and its the same. Do your store units do this?

Edit - There were no flashlights earlier in the day when the TV had just been turned on. This is only happening after the TV heats up. I also have energy saving set to low.

Edited by kak