Fibre petition. [UK]

Please sign.. :p

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/fibretothehome/

BT are about to upgrade the UK phone network in a project they are calling 21CN. Their internet serivce will be based around the ADSL2+ standard which provides up to 24mbps download speeds. Parts of the UK already have this and it is currently out of date technology. The rest of the world are replacing their copper phone lines with fibre to the home and have speeds of up to 100mbps internet and some parts even have speeds of 1gbps. The UK will lag behind in broadband speed if no fibre network isn't put in place. If you want a future proof network please sign the petition

I really hope this works. I so badly want fibre and wish BT would stop being lazy and just upgrading to ADSL2+ and actually sort out the problem that causes the need for ADSL2+ in the first place which is the copper lines.

I really hope this works. I so badly want fibre and wish BT would stop being lazy and just upgrading to ADSL2+ and actually sort out the problem that causes the need for ADSL2+ in the first place which is the copper lines.

right because BT have enough money to upgrade everyone onto a national fibre network :rolleyes:

Signed.

right because BT have enough money to upgrade everyone onto a national fibre network :rolleyes:

No one is saying upgrade everyone overnight. The point is to upgrade to the best we can, instead of wasting money upgrading to already obsolete technology.

Would you buy a PC with Windows 98 on it or wait until you can afford one that will manage XP?

Over time, yes.

This is the sort of thing the government itself should be funding anyway. It would provide infinite benefit to the country. A lot more than new rules on what children should and shouldn't eat anyway.

I signed.

BT are just about keeping up with fixing faulty copper phone lines, nevermind replacing it altogether :p

Cable ftw, but I signed it anyway lol, just incase it works.

Cause internet petitions work so well :rolleyes:

At least in the states they do.

Actually I just got an email back yesterday from the petition about the BBC iPlayer and only being on windows, the BBC have now said they'll try and get it multi-platform ;)

We Win :D

-Rich-

Following local loop unbundling can this happen?

If BT upgrades every line to fibre then the operator using LLU with suddenly find their own equipment useless or if they lease their equipment from BT the cost is bound to go up.

If the operators don't want it or OFCOM decides it makes the marketplace unfair in some way it's never going to happen.

signed, its amazing how other countries got 'superfast' broadband and UK is lagging behind, what's even more amazing is they want to replace an old technology with slightly newer yet still outdated one...

Cause internet petitions work so well :rolleyes:

At least in the states they do.

These petitions go straight to the PM. Downing Street responds to each one after the closing date. As someone said above, the BBC iPlayer is undergoing some changes after a petition, so yes, they do work well.