• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

is vista living up to peoples expectations

Mordkanin    225
Actually, you can authorize yourself once and never see a prompt after that. So, it is a bit different, and less intrusive into your admin work than Windows that way.

However, if that is the biggest complaint that the guy you quoted had about Vista... :ermm: I don't see why he would have switched, because while it is a little annoying, it isn't so bad as to be obnoxious and driving people away.

Yes, you'd open a terminal, and elevate yourself. The second you close that terminal, you've got to authorize yourself again to do Admin-stuff.

I can do the exact same thing in Windows. I have an elevated powershell prompt open whenever I need to do things like that.

MrKuro    0

Still no . . . not a big fan of vista in its current state

Rahul    0

On my AMD64 3000+ with 1 gig ram & a Gforce 6100 128mb (Shared) , Vista runs like a dream ( it did need a few tweaks here & there though) I must admit it is soo much better looking than Windows XP with all the glass & the other effects , not to mention a few tweaks & the HDD Thrashing is history.

BTW i dont play games on my rig , for that i have Xbox 360 & a PS3

shockz    7,282

I hate to say it... but it's grown on me...

Setting up apache was a bitch though.. and IIS 7 sucks.

NoneAvail    3

I've been using vista since february and it's living up to my expectations. i'd still rather use xp because way i can customize it much easy, but vista is fine for what i am doing. i'm not going to go back to xp because i actually paid for vista, so i'll use it, and a addition to that, i also upgraded my ram to 2GB.

what i do hate about vista is when i do a search in my my music folder, it WILL NOT SHOW UP, it will show up in itunes instead lol. that is what is ****ing me off with vista sometimes, but other than its ok. the search in vista is awful, with spotlight i used to find stuff that i didn't think it would find. the search is there for looks i guess, it doesnt do its job very well. and before anyone trolls me, INDEXING is enabled in services, so i have no idea wtf it is indexing while it is idle.

thats pretty much it. and always always there is a HDD activity going on, even when i am doing nothing, on the desktop. indexking? i don't know, since nothing shows up its probably not that neither.

gtho    2

I had my problems with vista originally, but I am now happy with it. It does what I want and it is very stable.

Mordkanin    225
and IIS 7 sucks.

Blasphemy!

vraev    6

yup! stands up well. Seems very very stable apart from some annoyances of old applications switching to vista basic theme. Has faster performance than xp. The aero and the transitions never seem to get old. Its perfect. Good job by microsoft. Similar to their traditional xp interface and yet very modern and slick.

gadean    0

honestly, I've had Vista since it first came out and I've been quite disappointed. My PCMCIA card reader still refuses to mount memory cards (yes, I've read the KB article and installed the patch. It didn't work.) and the performance is sub-par to XP's. The visuals are nice but past that I don't see a reason to move past XP. I wish Microsoft would focus more on what's broken in Vista. I feel like I've taken a step back with this "upgrade".

Chicane-UK    675

Despite it working ok for me now NOW (took a while!) I still can't understand how people can keep a straight face and say "Yeah, it used to run bad on a 2GHz CPU with 1GB or 2GB of RAM, but when I upgraded to a dual core box with 4GB of RAM it was fine" - I mean, seriously. We're talking about a freaking OS. 5 years ago, these specs on the desktop would have been daydreams. We still only buy in 4GB of RAM for our SERVERS.

Yes, Vista is gradually getting better but the hardware requirements for it are just embarassing frankly. I've said it before and i'll say it again - OS X was doing pretty graphical effects on far less powerful hardware long before Vista came on the scene - I still don't understand why it needs so much horsepower to achieve those effects!

Again - don't get me wrong. I'm now running Vista and I do like it.. it has started to get somewhere with regards stability, performance, driver support, etc but some people need to give credit where credit is due. Apple might like to poke fun at MS at every given chance, and proclaim themselves to be all things to all men (which does grate after a while I admit!) but come on..

kouhii00    1

Chicane-UK

It runs fine on 800MHz and 400MHz FSB(underclocked) C2D T7300 with 2GB DDR2-333(underclocked) of RAM and intel x3100 graphics card. I don't think it's the cpu here. I think it's more of the RAM that vista needs. I am running vista with all the pretty effects enabled and see a SLIGHT drop in performance.

»X«    1

When it runs, it does what its supposed to do. But Im always running into situations where I ask myself "Would XP handle this better?" and I think the answer is a resounding yes. True, it looks prettier, and has more security features etc. But Im always careful online anyway and since I use my pc for gaming, music and graphics, I think ill switch back to xp soon. Enough is truly enough.

wolfie    0

I liked it from the very beginning. I like trying new things and trying to figure out how to improve them or change them. I just make a backup twice a week and keep on going. I guess some people just want stability and never change or want to "tweak" the system. Then you should wait until everyone else has gone through the growing pains of a new operating system and then install it. By that time some of us has moved on to the next release.

wolfie

theyarecomingforyou    10,428

I've been impressed by the driver support and the features of Vista but I've been very disappointed by the performance. I game a lot and I have a decent enough system but I've noticed a significant drop in performance. I am hoping that SP1 will improve the situation a lot but it's pretty disappointing for 6yrs of development. As soon as I can be bothered I will likely go back to XP, only booting into Vista for DX10 games (Lost Planet and Bioshock are nice enough but don't benefit much from DX10 and certainly not enough to justify the performance drop).

speed3okie    22

I wish Vista would close a program completely. I use WMP 11 to listen to my music, and close as anyone else does it. But when I open my task manager, it still has it listed in the processes module. I have to end the process just to reopen WMP or several other programs too.

uhaligani    0

Quite a few of the complaints in this thread, refer to the extra hardware requirements. Surely it is natural, particularly in a graphical environment, that there is going to be greater demand, as more is put in to future OS's. Lokk back at the leap from Dos to windows 3.1 No way could you have run windows 3.1 on a machine with basic Dos capability!

I have no real beef about Vista however! I have always, and will continue, to take care of my own security. This immediately cancels out about 20% of Microsoft's Vista claim to fame! I am not a big visual admirer. As with XP and Vista beta and subsequently, retail releases, one of my first tasks, on installation, has been to remove the gaphical displays (or "eye candy" as it is popularly called). There goes another large chunk of Vista advantages. I run a triple boot with Vista 64bit and 32bit, and XP. I cannot honestly say that I have experienced any major advantages in Vista, which could not have been achieved by modification and addins to XP (Most are available anyway, through 3rd party software). Cwertainly I can see no justification, particularly for multi machine buyers, in spending cash on the update.

whocares78    0

i expected it to be typically crap as with most OS's when MS first brings them out, so nah i wasn't surprised

notuptome2004    177
Quite a few of the complaints in this thread, refer to the extra hardware requirements. Surely it is natural, particularly in a graphical environment, that there is going to be greater demand, as more is put in to future OS's. Lokk back at the leap from Dos to windows 3.1 No way could you have run windows 3.1 on a machine with basic Dos capability!

I have no real beef about Vista however! I have always, and will continue, to take care of my own security. This immediately cancels out about 20% of Microsoft's Vista claim to fame! I am not a big visual admirer. As with XP and Vista beta and subsequently, retail releases, one of my first tasks, on installation, has been to remove the gaphical displays (or "eye candy" as it is popularly called). There goes another large chunk of Vista advantages. I run a triple boot with Vista 64bit and 32bit, and XP. I cannot honestly say that I have experienced any major advantages in Vista, which could not have been achieved by modification and addins to XP (Most are available anyway, through 3rd party software). Cwertainly I can see no justification, particularly for multi machine buyers, in spending cash on the update.

sorry to break it to you but most of what windows vista is and can do canot be done with XP unless it had a major overhaul of the entire graphics/sound/network sub system, Winodws vista isa great entire Rewrite in the same way windows 95 was over windows 3.1/3.11 so Saying there is no advantages in vista over XP just means you dont actually run the OS you boot to the desktop and then shut down you dont do day to day work or any task at all and do a good compare and if you do then you need to get a checkup or something for the obvious advantages in the OS over XP and well i will not explian them cause i should not have to explian what has been done many times by others.

Obraxis    1

I dont see MacOS X goign to 'OSbasic' just to run a freakin' old program....it would take you out of the user experience. Why does Microsoft do it? They should be able to code it so the program runs within the aero interface. Jees.

Also, what's with the GUI on Vista - back buttons are all over the place and don't fit in with the UI. Oh, and don't even get me started on the Start Menu and programs. It's like trying to look at your whole house while looking through a 1mm peep-hole.

.Neo    1,834

Like Obraxis mentioned I really don't understand why it's even possible that one application is able to break Aero system-wide. It would be amazing to see Aqua crapping out like that on Mac OS X every time a program is poorly written. But fortunately it doesn't.

Overal I don't had any real expectations of Windows Vista, so I can't say I'm disappointed or anything. The only thing that really bugs me is how slow the interface acts compared to both Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Windows XP. There's this constant lag going on, even though my iMac has a basic score of "5".

FlibbyFlobby    0
Despite it working ok for me now NOW (took a while!) I still can't understand how people can keep a straight face and say "Yeah, it used to run bad on a 2GHz CPU with 1GB or 2GB of RAM, but when I upgraded to a dual core box with 4GB of RAM it was fine" - I mean, seriously. We're talking about a freaking OS. 5 years ago, these specs on the desktop would have been daydreams. We still only buy in 4GB of RAM for our SERVERS.

Yes, Vista is gradually getting better but the hardware requirements for it are just embarassing frankly. I've said it before and i'll say it again - OS X was doing pretty graphical effects on far less powerful hardware long before Vista came on the scene - I still don't understand why it needs so much horsepower to achieve those effects!

It runs on my 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron laptop with integrated graphics and 1GB memory just fine. All the Aero effects work and it runs as fast as XP. I'm sick to death of all this baseless hardware whining already.

On my desktop it runs like a dream, only had minor problems with Nvidia drivers breaking the control panel so far.

pyehac    0

After using XP since it came out in 2001, honestly its hard to use something else.

I have it dual booted on my laptop with XP, and I find myself booting into XP more than Vista. I guess you can say I believe in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it until you upgrade to something better" philosophy.

»X«    1
sorry to break it to you but most of what windows vista is and can do canot be done with XP unless it had a major overhaul of the entire graphics/sound/network sub system, Winodws vista isa great entire Rewrite in the same way windows 95 was over windows 3.1/3.11 so Saying there is no advantages in vista over XP just means you dont actually run the OS you boot to the desktop and then shut down you dont do day to day work or any task at all and do a good compare and if you do then you need to get a checkup or something for the obvious advantages in the OS over XP and well i will not explian them cause i should not have to explian what has been done many times by others.

Whoa, what a paragraph!

I see what your saying, but all these "under the hood" improvements are exactly that. I see nothing which helps my day to day use. Being told there are "improvements" isnt good enough reason to fork out money for this OS, when I see none. People want to see and feel improvements. Not be told "trust me, there are improvements". That just doesn't cut it.

acnpt    39

Had Vista on a Amd Turion 2.0ghz, 1GB ram, Laptop....It ran awful, hated vista, put XP onto it.

Got my new laptop which is Intel Core Duo 1.86GHz, 2GB ram, and Nivda Geforce 7300 with turbocache...I love vista on this thing, Im having no problems with preformance.

Its a shame that computer makers are including vista on computers, which don't really have good enough specs.

Mordkanin    225
I dont see MacOS X goign to 'OSbasic' just to run a freakin' old program....it would take you out of the user experience. Why does Microsoft do it? They should be able to code it so the program runs within the aero interface. Jees.

Also, what's with the GUI on Vista - back buttons are all over the place and don't fit in with the UI. Oh, and don't even get me started on the Start Menu and programs. It's like trying to look at your whole house while looking through a 1mm peep-hole.

Actually OSX will boot up OS9 if need be.

If an app decides to lock the primary desktop DC, you simply cannot have a 3d desktop anymore. This is probably a permission that should not have been given to apps in the first place, all those years ago, but what's done is done, and it's this, or have the app simply not work, or pop up in a virtual machine.

Aero is more than just the nice UI. It's a fully 3d accelereated Direct3d 9 interface. If it can't run, neither can Aero.

That said, there are VERY few apps that do this anymore. I can't even name one off of the top of my head.