Apple UK Special Event Sept-18

Annoyingly i'll be stuck into a Windows cluster build by the time the event runs.. still, at least there will be lovely fresh Apple news for me when I emerge from the machine room :)

10:04 - Here we go... Steve stands up, welcomes everyone. And he dives right in: the iPhone has been announced for the UK! "We picked the best one, the most poplular carrier, it's O2. We've since lowered the price of the US phone of the 8GB phone, in the UK the price of the iPhone is ?269 including VAT."

They got straight to the point.

How come you guys in the UK get this kind of stuff months after the US release and it doesn't even use your 3G networks? I don't really understand that at all. :huh: Why do you have to wait so long?

No 3G or GPRS, but the O2 network will be EDGE upgraded.

This could explain the Text message I received from O2 earlier in the week saying that they've upgraded coverage in the area (Lancaster - Student City!), even though coverage was perfectly fine..

Sweet. I'm gonna throw my invoice into the company early ;)

Hopefully, its pay & go, and they'll do a special deal on unlimited data or something.

Jesus, November 9th?!? wtf :(

Edited by TurboTuna

10:24 - Q: What's the contract length, and does unlimited usage truly mean unlimited?

Matthew: "18 months contract. There is a limit: 1,400 internet pages per day would break the deal as part of fair usage agreement."

10:42 - Q: Unlimited data packages: will those go to other contracts as well?

Matthew: "On 1st October we'll be rolling those out for all out customers."

Steve: "It's the future."

My biggest gripe with all the mobile carriers is the the insane prices they charge for data, hopfully this is a step in the right direction.

Is that price on contract? They want people to pay the cost of a contract AND ?269?

Most new smartphones cost at least ?200+ when they first come out not including the monthly contract. I was expecting a lot more than that so its not too bad.

Most new smartphones cost at least ?200+ when they first come out not including the monthly contract. I was expecting a lot more than that so its not too bad.

Got my XDA Wizard (O2 XDA Mini S) on a ?35 12 month contract free, when it just came out.