Top Vista Tweaks You Can Find!

1. Disable TMM (TY and Rep NinjaNoodles)

This tweak is responsible for about a 3-5 second delay and blank screen flash when you start Vista. It searches for external monitors but is unnecessary.

If you are not using an external monitor, or dont switch back and forth always...turn TMM off. This is responsible for that 3-5 sec pause and blank flash you get when turning your computer on.

Here's how to fix that annoying black flicker on boot:

1. Go start/control panel/administrative options/task scheduler.

On the left-hand side, click "Task Scheduler Local" (you should already be there, but just in case).

Expand "Task Scheduler Library," then "Microsoft," then "Windows," then click "MobilePC."

Up top, you'll see a task called "TMM." Click it, and on the right-hand side, click "Disable."

You're done.

Start time reduced and Blank flash gone!!!!

2. Use TuneXP 1.5 (TY and Rep Trebuin)(Click here)

Trebuin introduced me to this little XP program which works great on Vista and reduces your boot time by reorganizing it. The program is phenomenal andhas no side effects except a much quicker start speed. As you get more knowledgeable, there are a bunch of other great utilities in the program.

It takes all your boot files and places them at the front of the disk.

This is the best Tweak in our arsenal as there are several reports that it will cut your start time in half. I have verified this with my Vista 64Bit (20 sec) and have cut my sons 32Bit time in half to 40 seconds.

I use it on both my Vista 32 and 64 bit systems and it works great. Word to the wise though...dont use later versions. This version is the only tested for this.

1. Install Program and if asked to select a drive, select 'C';

2. Go to Memory and File System and Click on Ultra-Fast booting (it may appear to freeze but its working);

3. Once its done, it will inform you not to reboot your system until defragmentation is complete;

4. Bring up your Task Manager from your system tray by right clicking in the tray bottom right and select Task Manager;

5. Go to processes;

6. You will see two processes relating to defrag Which are called Defrag.exe and DfrgNtfs.exe . Dont restart your machine until they dissappear.

3. Disable Vista Search Indexing

All versions of Vista have Search Indexing enabled by default which is an unneeded resource for most. Its function is to continuously update files on your system so that they can be made available for faster searching. Unfortunately, this takes its toll on system performance which is why its listed in several tweaking programs as a top teak; I agree totally.

To disable Windows indexing:

1. Click Start, then computer;

2. Right click on Local Disk 'C:'

3. Left click on Properties;

4. Uncheck 'Index this Drive for Faster Searching';

5. Let it complete and select 'Include subfolders and files' in any subsequent dialog box

EDIT: From here we will go one step further and turn off Windows Search in your services as per Trebuins recommendation. I was going to wait and shut all useless services down at once but, he is right and, this does pertain strictly to this so...

1. Click on start/run and type in 'MSConfig' and hit ok;

2. Click on Services tab and find Windows Search

3. Uncheck/Apply and Ok...Your done!!!

Voila!! Its funny eh, a feature that is supposed to speed up searching that is one of the worst reasons for system slowdown.

4. Get CCleaner!!! It Works with 32/64Bit (Click here!)

CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner) is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused and temporary files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster, more efficiently and giving you more hard disk space. The best part is that it's fast! (normally taking less than a second to run) and Free.

It cleans the following:

1. Internet Explorer Cache, History, Cookies, Index.dat;

2. Recycle Bin, Temporary files and Log files;

3. Recently opened URLs and files;

4. Third-party application temp files and recent file lists (MRUs);

5. Including: Firefox, Opera, Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Office XP, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and more...

It also contains an 'Advanced Registry Scanner' and cleaner to remove unused and old entries to include File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more...

There is also a Windows Startup editor as well as a back-up tool just in case you delete something your not supposed to.

5. Turn Off User Account Control (UAC)

This tweak is best followed after a 'clean' install with respect to the below listed advisory.

One of the most annoying things in Vista is the protection of your system through UAC. Before I knew how to disable it I considered throwing the system out the window. The purpose of UAC is to make you confirm a large number of everyday functions in order to somehow protect your system from malware infections. In any case heres how to shut it off (or turn it back on).

1. Click on start and then click on your username picture top right of the start menu.

2. Click on 'Turn User Account Control on or off.'

3. Uncheck (or check) User Account Control, select ok and restart.

Thats it except...

There needs to be a word of caution in turning UAC on and off. There is a process called virtualization that, when UAC is 'on' saves program data files (things like INI files, configuration files, saved game files etc.) within a totally separate area for each individual user. If you then turn UAC off, there have been reports that certain programs may be unable to find that saved data. The truth, in fact, is that the data is still there but only visible to the program in this 'virtualization folder' once UAC has been turned on again.

An example is... If UAC is on and you install some game, and the game then saves files to that program's main directory and subsequently you turn UAC off. Those files may appear to the game that they have been deleted when, in all actuality, they are stored in this folder and only accessible through virtualization when UAC is on.

6. Turn Off Unused Windows Features (Tx and Rep LIVEFRMNYC)

This tweak is actually a 'two in one' as it saves disk space by turning off unneeded windows features as well as improving performance by shutting down Remote Differential Compression (RDC). Briefly RDC monitors changes in files in order to transfer them with minimum compression over a network, thus eliminating the transfer of an entire file which has been already moved. This checking and rechecking can hinder system performance. With respect to the other features that I will suggest shutting off, I myself only leave Games, Ultimate Extras (both self explanatory) and Tablet PC. I choose to leave tablet PC as it enables a little feature called Snipping Tool which I absolutely love. Anyone who hasn't used it, type 'snipping tool' in the 'Run' box and enjoy.

In anycase, the tweak is as follows:

1. Press Start/Control Panel/Classic View and select Programs and Features;

2. Choose 'Turn Windows Features On and Off;

3. You can safely unselect 'Indexing Service, Remote Differential Compression, Tablet PC Optional Components (if you don't want Snipping Tool), Windows DFS Replication Service, Windows Fax & Scan (unless you use Fax through a modem) and Windows Meeting Space.

Oh and if you want to be real smart, DFS Replication duplicates files for use among multiple PCs in a network and keeps them in sync. Its not very useful on a stand alone.

7. Windows Snipping Tool IS AMAZING!

I let the cat out of the bag in the last tweak so I figured I might as well spill the beans. If you have Vista Premium or above you have a great new tool called Snipping Tool. It enables you to freeze whatever is on your screen and take a picture of it. You may notice that I use this in tons of my threads as it is so easy.

To get to it...

1. Click Start/All Programs/Accessories and voila ; or

2. Start 'Run' and type 'snippingtool'.

Just for a bit of a background, tthis is Microsofts description of 'The Tool':

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...605b41033.mspx

NOTE: If you delete Tablet PC above, this will not work!!

8. Disable Excess Windows Processes at Boot! (TY and Pls Rep Trebuin)

Im going to give a bit of a background to this as it is probably the one tweak that can really screw anyone up if they make the wrong move. I think its better to walk through slowly and make sure we are all clear then to jump into and have someone go into a panic if they do something wrong. Windows Vista starts somewhere just short of a hundred processes running each and every time you boot into Vista, many of these being unneeded. Their are four options that describe how each process is started, these being manual (start), automatic, automatic delayed and disabled. Having said that, you dont want to disable something your not sure of, it could prevent you from getting into Vista again.

Trebuin has been kind enough to make a chart of very safe changes we can make in Vista. It is here:

Trebuin Safe Process Changes

I would suggest you start with his values as they are proven.

There are two ways to affect these changes, the first of which is by typing 'services.msc' into the run command which should be on your Vista Menu. (If its not rt click on the Vista Orb lower left/properties/start menu-customize and check Run).

The second is to simply enable or disable services by typing 'msconfig' into the Run bar or:

Press Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/System Configuration and Services.

There...I have taught you just enough to really hurt yourself (lol).

Now...a good acrobat has a safety net just in case so....

If you make a mistake, this link will allow you to reset your services back to the original Vista Values, no matter what version of Vista:

http://www.speedyvista.com/registry.html

A safe idea would be to actually copy and save the bat file that applies to you, on a disk, so you can get to it if you need it. Myself, I was fooling around one day and found that my Internet wouldn't work as I disabled the wrong service; it creates a bit more wrk.

For those wanting to venture even further, I am going to promote a site (www.blackviper.com) and include this link which will enable you to not only learn about each and every process, but also, explore his ideas on safe settings, his choices as well as bare bones settings.

I have personally used his choice settings without a problem.

Blackviper Service Configurations

9. Eliminate Unneeded Startup Programs

When your computer starts, there are a number of programs that start automatically and remain running in the background which steal away much needed memory. They add up in time and although many have no real use to the average user, others can be eliminated from starting automatically and started from the 'All Programs' or 'Quick Launch' menu as required. My best example of this is Messenger (or AIM/ICQ) which starts and hogs valuable resources even when your not using it.

First lets see how to get there to see what we have shall we?

1. Type 'msconfig' in the Run command (Winkey + R) (new trick for you here lol);

2. Press Start/Control Panel/Admin Tools/System Configuration/Startup; or

3. Download this excellent freeware program called Startup Inspector

(whoever sent me the program pls pm me so I can pass on proper credit...sorry I forgot)

I personally like the program for the newby because it has a consultant which, not only tells you what each program is, but also tells you which are required by the system, user chosen, recommended, not required or unknown.

Now what can we disable and eliminate from the startup process? This is much an individual choice but I personally have shut down all that start 'NVIDIA, Messenger, Office, Nwiz, quiktime, etc.. I can't remember them all.

The good thing about disabling is, if you see a negative result...go into safe mode, Run, Msconfig and undo your changes.

Last but not least... a challenge. Im down to these: Stardock/Quikset/PCMService/AVG/Sidebar and one I cant get any info on OEM04Mon.exe.

What does this last one do and can I eliminate it??? Arghhh!!

Credit to http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532 and a guy named flamenko

Go here http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532 for a whole bunch of Q's and A's and other tips for your vista.

Disable Indexing, and Disable UAC?

Immediately makes the rest of the guide worthless, because it obviously can't be very good if it suggests doing either.

Suggesting disabling UAC to people who need guides for this kind of thing is utterly stupid and reckless. If you know what you're doing, odds are you'll leave UAC on (Because hopefully you recognize its benefit.), but if you need a guide, you're right in between can't-do-anything-but-browse-the-internet and semi-proficient-PC-user, and the false "Oh. I don't need UAC. I know what I'm doing" mentality kicks in.

I have UAC off, couldn't be happier.

Turned off here. No problems whatsoever. Also by the way firewall is also turned off. I just use the security in the router and have never had any problems... Using Virus protection and Defender without a hitch..

I have UAC off, couldn't be happier.

UAC off is like Windows XP, granted, but to get the security many people complain about that Linux or OSX has UAC is a Godsend. The application programmers need to catch up with it, though, so it'll be a lot more usable in about a year.

Disabling indexing is retarded also.

How do you "enable" the indexing in vista again? Turned it off some time ago. Went into Add/remove programs, and checked it under window features, still telling me its off. you need to reboot?

Headaches and resource use. I know I know.

Resource use? Not really...

More like the occasional extra click, and comfort in knowing that no undiscovered exploit in any of the software you use can ever take over your computer.

This kind of aggressive tweaking was useful on Windows 95, when you tried to preserve as much as your 32mb EDO simm as you possibly could.

Scrambling for megabytes now is pointless now that most people have 2000 of them. By disabling UAC and Indexing you'll be saving maybe 30 meg, considering Vista will Idle a lot of stuff when you are playing games automatically - what's the point?

Then again, if there are things to tweak there will be a tweaker tweaking it I suppose :)

Thanks for the tips Det. Sonny-Crockett. :)

Quite liked that TuneXP 1.5 app and the TMM tip.

Indexing is taken out along with a few others with vLite when creating my own install disk.

If you want a free and fast search utility try Agent Ransack.

If you are confident in your own abilities and security set up then I don't see a prob turning off UAC.

On a new install and as soon as desktop comes up I go into local security policies and enable the full blown admin account at boot.

After booting into that account I delete the account you are forced to create at install and set UAC to elevate without prompt.

Sandboxie, Returnil along with ghost images/cloned spare drive are used here.

We are all different and if you are happy with the way you set up then stick with it.

How do you "enable" the indexing in vista again? Turned it off some time ago. Went into Add/remove programs, and checked it under window features, still telling me its off. you need to reboot?

Check the "Windows Search" service. That is the Indexing service.

If you are confident in your own abilities and security set up then I don't see a prob turning off UAC.

That's because Windows, and consequently it's users, are new to this thing called "good security practice".

It's the exactly same thing as running as root all the time on any *nix based OS. No one does it because it's a stupid idea. It's no better on Windows. If anything, it's far, far worse, given how malicious code likes to target things that it couldn't otherwise access without those privledges.

so is the indexing thing actualy worth keeping on or is it still useless?

I've been testing MS OS'es for over a decade now so I hope my opinion carries some weight.

I leave UAC and Indexing on. The reason being that I have 3GB of system memory currently.

Once the system is booted up the index is loaded into main memory and transfers at the speed of your RAM, not the speed of your HD.

That means lightning fast searches. If you have have it disabled that means starting every file search from scratch.

Think of it kinda like this.

Scenario A: You have an access database with every movie that you own, including the date you got it, and a small note about why you bought it, or what you were doing at the time (I know I'm odd, but I like remembering certain things and this helps) and you can instantly find everything because it's stored in a database that is quick to search.

or

Scenario B: You have all of your movies on a shelf in order by Year released with a small tag on them (goes back to the database thing) that sorts them by number.

Is it faster if you have thousands of movies to use the database to find what tag the disc has (since they are in order) and then pull it out, or to search for it by knowing generally where it is since you put them in order by year of original release?

I know that's a long explanation, but usually people get what I'm saying with that example.

so is the indexing thing actualy worth keeping on or is it still useless?

It's worth keeping on. If you've never used the search, you should try it out. It's pretty powerful, and much faster in virtually all cases than trying to remember where you stored all of your files, documents, pictured, etc.

Plus the ability to simply tap the windows key, type part of a song name, or a picture tag, or something, and hit enter is really really nice.

That's because Windows, and consequently it's users, are new to this thing called "good security practice".

It's the exactly same thing as running as root all the time on any *nix based OS. No one does it because it's a stupid idea. It's no better on Windows. If anything, it's far, far worse, given how malicious code likes to target things that it couldn't otherwise access without those privledges.

Priveldges!

Waste of time here with another brainwashed socalled expert. :rolleyes:

Sandboxie

Sandboxie and UAC actually do very different things. Sandboxie is absolutely in no way a replacement for UAC.

It attempts to cover one small area of what UAC covers, but there's no way Sandboxie can do most of what UAC does. It cannot implement UIPI to protect higher privileged processes from being manipulated by lower privileged ones. It cannot prevent code injection into other process outside the "sandbox."

In fact, it looks like Sandboxie doesn't really do much of anything at all. At least tools like DropMyRights will do something helpful (but still nothing like UAC). Countless security measures in Vista depend on UAC / LUA. For example, the sandboxing around the Filter and Protocol Host process, around certain shell extensions like previewers (which deal with untrusted data all the time), and so on.

Further, while you're free to disable the Windows Search service - you're more likely to slow down your machine, since much of the Shell depends on the index being there. The indexing process itself isn't going to really affect system performance (unless something funky is up with your system). It only uses otherwise idle cycles and I/O, with low priority I/O that is interrupted if another app needs the disk. You're also disabling a vital platform piece used by third-party applications (like Outlook 2007, OneNote, Start++, and more).

Um OK, Vista Ultimate with evrything needed working fine.

No crapppy sap sucking realtime blacklist's either and the only security apps are in my siggy!!!

Easy if you know a bit!!! :laugh:

post-232682-1189874784.jpg

Um OK, Vista Ultimate with evrything needed working fine.

No crapppy sap sucking realtime blacklist's either and the only security apps are in my siggy!!!

Easy if you know a bit!!! :laugh:

post-232682-1189874784.jpg

After all of your posts, I still can't figure out if you're simply stupid, or trying to be funny.