Apples new OS X window look?

When the first leopard screenshots were circulating with the first dev releases I could've sworn the menu bar was a translucent black instead of gray ?? I prefer the black look in leopard instead

of the aqua.

Will we be able to change the colour of the translucent areas ? like choose our own colours for the menu bar and dock ? The black is the best if it is still in leopard.

Nah, before WWDC07 the Menu Bar was exactly the same as it is right now in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. There never was a black transparent one.

As of yet there are no customization options when it comes to the Menu Bar.

When the first leopard screenshots were circulating with the first dev releases I could've sworn the menu bar was a translucent black instead of gray ?? I prefer the black look in leopard instead

of the aqua.

mbaref1.jpg

This? Fom what I've heard, twas indeed a black menubar included (in so far as the image was in the builds, but not enabled) at some point prior to 9a499; but was removed in that build. I can't speak to its validity, though - someone else linked me to this image a while ago.

Did it look like this?

illuminous5833a.png

not quite except it was translucent like how it leopard is now...but blackish colour

I could've gotten mixed up with FOOOD's mock up of quicksilver skin

but nevertheless if apple gave us the ability to change the shade of colour in the menu bar of the desktop and dock that would be very cool :D

Again, there NEVER EVER was a black transparent Menu Bar in any of the released Mac OS X Leopard builds by Apple. All the screen shots floating around showing otherwise are mockups.

Builds prior to the WWDC07 one featured the same Menu Bar as Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger has.

All those mockups make things confusing. :laugh:

Well at least it's already half of september to go...and then it will be days to guess the release. most likely oct. 26th

I'm sure alot of us are killing ourselves with anticipation. lol

Well at least it's already half of september to go...and then it will be days to guess the release. most likely oct. 26th

I'm sure alot of us are killing ourselves with anticipation. lol

For a little while, Apple were shooting builds of Leopard out like something fierce. However, it's been a while since the last build. I know it's un-Apple, but I think that Leopard has gone to manufacturing already, and we might see an early October release. Maybe that'll be included in the announcement on Tuesday. I mean, having a few big announcements from the UK would be nice, wouldn't it? Plus, IIRC, it's being held in the Regent St. Apple store, which (once again, IIRC) is the biggest Apple store in the world. So, who knows what could happen.

I'm still crossing my fingers that it'll be about other iPhone contracts, and maybe something about it coming to Canada :D

Huh? The latest build was released less than a month ago. :huh:

Considering that they were seeding them like crazy in August, it's been a while ;)

Considering that they were seeding them like crazy in August, it's been a while ;)

There were only two builds in August: 9A500n delivered through Software Update because the July build was nearly impossible to work with (extremely unstable), and the latest build 9A527. :p

damn apple sure have their icons and prettiness down. Still kinda ****ed vista still has windows 98 folder icons in C:\windows\

I know; how hard is it to create a new Downloaded Program Files folder and Offline Web Pages folder?

And a new regedit icon.

There were only two builds in August: 9A500n delivered through Software Update because the July build was nearly impossible to work with (extremely unstable), and the latest build 9A527. :p

Uhhh... meh? :p

I'm just dreaming, I guess. This will be my first OS X update, after all.

No. Leopard was meant to have the look that Apple made. They have been slowly working their way towards it as well. First the unified toolbar in iTunes and then some other apps in Tiger. Then moving to the plastic button style in iTunes 7. Illuminous was just some rumour, not fact. People also seem to forget that the HIG belongs to Apple. They can do with it as they please. If they want to break it for the sake of moving forward, then they will. Although, they should update it :/

As to the darker metal, it makes the front most window stand out more compared to all the other windows. The new folder icons are fantastic. The old icons wouldn't have worked in stacks sitting on the Dock. The new folder icons also look fantastic at 16px.

I never understand why people say "the x that x was meant to have." Obviously, what you see in Leopard is what Apple intended for it to have. And I for one don't particulary care about HIG, at the end of the day, all I want is something that is attractive and useable, and that's exactly what I get with the current build of Leopard.

First off it wasn't a fake rumor it was real, except that GUI was destined for the iPhone and not Leopard, it likely will join Mac OSX eventually down the line, but not this time around. What my theme is based off of is what the iPhone GUI would be like on Leopard, which is the way it should have been imo.

The new folders look like crap (maybe nice at 16) but no need to keep the same angles when using 512x512. They are far too generic and don't fit in with any of the icons apple has made to date including the new leopard editions. Also the HIG were meant as guidelines for user interface, breaking them makes mac os lose its top of the line gui and give us something a little more similar to windows.

Also the HIG were meant as guidelines for user interface, breaking them makes mac os lose its top of the line gui and give us something a little more similar to windows.

Obviously the HIGs need to be updated for Mac OS X Leopard. You think an iPhone-like UI, much like the one you're proposing, won't break the current HIGs just as well? Of course they will.

And how exactly does Leopard's UI bring us closer to Windows? It's far more unified and consistent than both Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Windows Vista will ever be.

Isn't that one of your mockups? :p

Yes. I thought he might have confused it with a screenshot of an actual build :p

Xero: You totally missed my point about the folder icons in stacks. The Tiger folders just wouldn't have worked. Something more flat was needed. If someone has Leopard and doesn't mind switching the folder icons around with the Tiger ones and giving us a screenshot of them in the Dock, I'd love to see it.

If Apple updates the HIG for Leopard (which I'm guessing they will since they are pushing consistency), then all the arguing about Apple breaking the HIG will be pointless. I'd also expect the Touch OS X UI to be used when multi-touch comes to the Mac. Until then they will more then likely just keep on revising Aqua.

One thing I'd love to see is Event icons moved into the Finder. Folders being represented by an Event icon would be awesome. Quickly skim over it to see all your documents and pictures etc.

Xero, do you have any screenshots of your skin (even though I know it's still in development). I'd like to see it.

I'd love the new Apple UI to be sorta black, like the iPhone's. I've always hated the grey in Apple's software (E.g. iTunes on Vista looks horrible. It would be much better for Mac OS X Leopard to have a UI with cool effects like Vista to make it more modern.

I used to hate Apple products (mainly because of the grey) but now I've had a new iPod classic I love Apple and would love to see Mac OS X get a complete overhaul.

mbaref1.jpg

This? Fom what I've heard, twas indeed a black menubar included (in so far as the image was in the builds, but not enabled) at some point prior to 9a499; but was removed in that build. I can't speak to its validity, though - someone else linked me to this image a while ago.

I'm still holding out for a further refreshed GUI from Apple. That menubar above looks much nicer than anything we've seen in a Leopard build so far IMO. And Apple have been slightly tweaking the UI since the WWDC, so there's still hope.

Well, If the menu bar is translucent like the taskbar is in Vista, you could always do what some Vista users have done, which is modify a background image and made the top xx pixels the colour you like, and it should filter through.

Not an idea solution though by any means.

q

Actually ignore my last post! :p

After seeing this screenshot: http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopar...27/image/01.jpg

I am in love with Apples new interface. It actually looks a lot better (the gray) than Tiger and I can actually handle this.

I LOVE the new menu bar! And the new Dock (fantastic how it's 3D).

The new icons are also all very nice (apart from the Finder icon which has always been horrible).

But I actually am loving this new OS and tbh I wish I hadn't bought my Vista laptop back in February...I want this :(

Hmmm, am I being converted over to Apple now or something? :o :s

Actually ignore my last post:p; :p

After seeing this screenshot: http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopar...27/image/01.jpg

I am in love with Apples new interface. It actually looks a lot better (the gray) than Tiger and I can actually handle this.

I LOVE the new menu bar! And the new Dock (fantastic how it's 3D).

The new icons are also all very nice (apart from the Finder icon which has always been horrible).

But I actually am loving this new OS and tbh I wish I hadn't bought my Vista laptop back in February...I want t:(s :(

Hmmm, am I being converted over to Apple now or somethi:o?:so :s

And this is why people need to stop judging Leopard over what it looked like back in build 9a466 (aka the WWDC build). The final build will look very nice.

Not to mention that most of the people complaining about Leopard's new GUI are complaining just because they dislike change. Hey, it's natural. But, like a lot of changes, once you get used to it, you'll wonder why you didn't like it sooner. Say what you want about Vista, for example, but everyone I know who's used the OS love it, and hate using XP.