• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

my first HDTV

EcPercy    0
OK, I'm lost here, I went to a store to look at the types of TV's they have. Heres what I understand
  1. Plasma TV's allow burn-in and you pay more for size so that cancels out my want of a plasma
  2. DLP TV's are being discontinued next year (apparently) and their colour wheel can mess up
  3. LCD Projector TV's seem the most affordable to me for size, however their bulbs die every once and a while, this can set you back $250 - $500 depending on the TV (how often?)
  4. LCD TV's are more expensive than the projector type but the guy made it sound like they have the least problems out of all brands. I figure if I am going to be dropping $250 - $500 on bulbs every once and a while should I put a higher budget on the LCD's? LCD tv's also have lower refresh rates.

Can someone confirm what I know is true? if not can you correct me? I don't understand all the downsides to LCD TV's.. thank you!

I just bought one of Samsung's new SLIM DLP HD sets and this one uses an LED engine. (My first HD-TV) I am more than satisfied with this set. I bought the HLT-5087S. It's a 180p set and I only paid $1600 for it with free shipping and white glove delivery. :D

The claim for this set is that the LED's will last the life of the TV which with normal use (I am guessing) about 8-10 years. I don't leave the tv on when I sleep or when I am away from the house so it could be longer than that.

Good luck whatever you choose. HD is awesome!

I would say Pioneer for Plasma. (They are on their 9th or 10th generation of plasma tv's now) I would definitely recommend Samsung for DLP (With LED) I held out on getting a DLP set because the lamp and color wheel burning out.

goji    30

Just to say it... Tube for life!

Besides that, I own a 42" Sony LCD, its not bad, though not great, but I enjoy it. My friends own a Samsung DLP (last years model) and they have no complaints gaming on it compared to a DLP I owned two years ago. That thing was one laggy POS.

majortom1981    242

How does a crt 1080i stand up picture wise to the lcd and plasma tv's?

bangbang023    31
How does a crt 1080i stand up picture wise to the lcd and plasma tv's?

These days? It really doesn't, anymore. Plasmas are a pretty logical (in basic function) successor to tubes and have really surpassed the few tubes left on the market. Even LCD's are better in the mid to high end.

majortom1981    242
These days? It really doesn't, anymore. Plasmas are a pretty logical (in basic function) successor to tubes and have really surpassed the few tubes left on the market. Even LCD's are better in the mid to high end.

OK I will be getting my own house soon and was wondering if I should put my crt 1080i tv in the living room and use my comp for tv in my bedroom or put the crt 1080i tv in the bedroom and get a plasma or lcd tv for the living room.

stezo2k    0

I'm with bangbang, the plasma technology is superior at the moment to the LCDs. LCD when it was designed was designed for static low colour images (e.g calculators etc) it has evolved a lot since then but when it comes to response (best i've seen is 6ms) and colour range whereas plasma was designed for fast moving images (less than 1ms response) and a big range of colours, theres still a fair difference between the two.

Spose its down to your price range really, i'd only consider an LCD if it was a high end one (e.g a sony, possibly the samsung M series) otherwise a midrange plamsa will wipe the floor with a midrange lcd.

Don't believe me? Go down to an electrical store and compare a sony lcd to a pionner plasma

(coming from a pioneer plasma owner who compared the market for months before buying)

Joni_78    48
Yeah, because who cares about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in 1080p? 1024x768 is just enough when the movie is shown in 1920x1080. You're not loosing anything. Right?

Even I can see a nice difference between a 720p or 1080p HDTV. I know that Plasma give the best picture "quality" and black level. They Win! But you do lose on the resolution.

I have the 50A2000 and when shopping for it, I've seen LCD and Plasma, read the spec, looked at the picture quality using HD content and for the price, at that moment, nothing could beat the SXRD. It was the best. And 1080p, not the low 1024x768 of most plasma at that time. Plasma does have better black level, but that's about it. And while LCD where also starting to offer 1080p, picture looked overly sharp and was hard on the eyes and give dark grayish black.

:yes:

stezo2k    0
Yeah, because who cares about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in 1080p? 1024x768 is just enough when the movie is shown in 1920x1080. You're not loosing anything. Right?

Even I can see a nice difference between a 720p or 1080p HDTV. I know that Plasma give the best picture "quality" and black level. They Win! But you do lose on the resolution.

Depends on the TV, i've seen an award winning Full HD LCD (sony 40w2000) next to a HD ready plasma (pioneer 4280XD) both displaying 1080p (obviously the pioneer was scaled down) and the image does better on the plasma, its harder to tell close up but from 1-2 meters its easy to tell.

As for resolution plasmas are advancing more now when it comes to that, check out the Panasonic 42PZ70, the first 42" plasma that does 1080p unscaled and i'm sure it wont be the last ;) if you ask me its just as good as the Pioneer, perhaps better because it does 1080p

bangbang023    31
As for resolution plasmas are advancing more now when it comes to that, check out the Panasonic 42PZ70, the first 42" plasma that does 1080p unscaled and i'm sure it wont be the last ;) if you ask me its just as good as the Pioneer, perhaps better because it does 1080p

It's a nice set, but, maybe I didn't toy with it enough, but I wasn't thrilled with the color reproduction on the Panasonic. If I get some time in the next few days, I'm going to try to tinker and see what I can get out of it.

Jay C    0
LCD's are great, yes, but put any LCD next to something like a Pioneer plasma and plasma is suddenly much better. The color depth is just so much better than that of any LCD on the market.

Bang on! I have a 43" Pioneer plasma and the quality is great, no burn in, only image retention, and even then only rarely is it even noticeable.

I would easily buy another Pioneer plasma if I needed one.

Another advantage for this TV is the viewing angle, I have a long living room, with the TV in the middle of the long wall and it can be watched from ANYWHERE in the room, even pretty much from the corners at say 88 degrees from straight.

stezo2k    0
It's a nice set, but, maybe I didn't toy with it enough, but I wasn't thrilled with the color reproduction on the Panasonic. If I get some time in the next few days, I'm going to try to tinker and see what I can get out of it.

I spose the real comparison is getting them side by side to compare the differences, in our store weve got them on 2 different demonstrations so I spose its quite hard to comapare them. I'll have to try attaching a dvd player to both to really compare the colours. I'll take your word for it but dont get me wrong the PZ series are great TVs, pretty much the only comparison to the Pioneer.

I still find it baffling a TV with a lower res can look better than a TV with a higher one, I know its true but its just crazy, its hard to know what to look for these days, best way is just to compare the image rather than the specs.

bangbang023    31
best way is just to compare the image rather than the specs.

I keep saying that, but no one listens lol.

goji    30

^ Funny you two say that. While specs are important in both audio and video, they don't mean sh*t if you don't know who to read them and interpret them in a practical manner. Most item specs are recorded under ideal testing conditions which wont translate well if at all into a persons living room. Factor in lighting, seating, and the shape of your room housing the equipment, different results are guaranteed to be met.

My random .02 cents on a Sunday afternoon.

gunnerhkjp    0

I'll be interested to know how that turns out.

Panasonic's been putting a lot of effort on their plasma line, and I'm curious how good it is.

SonComet    0
I'll be interested to know how that turns out.

Panasonic's been putting a lot of effort on their plasma line, and I'm curious how good it is.

Maybe next year the panasonics will come closer to the pioneers. This year they are nowhere even in the proximity of the pios when it comes to dark home theater viewing. The pioneers not only have a far superior black level, they are also brighter than the panasonic 700/750 series. The sheer difference in contrast makes the panasonics look completely washed out next to any 8th gen pioneer no matter how good the calibration is on either set. It's really quite amazing.

Next year the panasonics are supposed to be brighter, and have deeper blacks. Although the rumblings point to the blacks probably not equaling the pioneers, but being close enough. Also, they are supposed to get brighter and support 24fps playback. So as long as pioneer only has an evolutionary update next year, the panasonics should be more competitive again (though I doubt they will be better).

Not even the 65" fujitsu aviamo (panasonic glass) can avoid looking washed out next to the pioneer 150fd. And the fujitsu was professionally calibrated, while the pioneer was just calibrated real quick by eye. This is the first time in years that the fujitsus aren't my favorite plasmas.

gunnerhkjp    0

I agree about how good the pioneers are, but I'm curious how good the panasonic plasmas can be considering the considerably lower price.

Kuro's ain't cheap :laugh:

atrican    0

I have a friend who fixes Plasma, LCD, Rear Projection etc for a living. He is a trained and certified Sony repair technician. Traveling around with him for the past couple of days and learning a thing or two I can safely say your best bet once you are not concerned on space is a rear projection. Plasma's give plenty f trouble and when it comes to lighting they don't do so well. It would be better to pick an LCD over a Plasma any day.

The reason Rear Projection's are so good is because its actually a projector inside the TV. If you were to take one apart (it would void your warranty unless the technician has pity on you and gives you a pass) you would be able to use the bulb and project the image onto a wall. Thus no pixels are lost in the conversion. Not to mention rear projection TV's are cheaper then the others.

bangbang023    31
I have a friend who fixes Plasma, LCD, Rear Projection etc for a living. He is a trained and certified Sony repair technician. Traveling around with him for the past couple of days and learning a thing or two I can safely say your best bet once you are not concerned on space is a rear projection. Plasma's give plenty f trouble and when it comes to lighting they don't do so well. It would be better to pick an LCD over a Plasma any day.

The reason Rear Projection's are so good is because its actually a projector inside the TV. If you were to take one apart (it would void your warranty unless the technician has pity on you and gives you a pass) you would be able to use the bulb and project the image onto a wall. Thus no pixels are lost in the conversion. Not to mention rear projection TV's are cheaper then the others.

I'm sorry, but your friend is talking from the wrong side of the argument. He seems to be talking about ease of fixing a unit and not the actual picture quality. Plasmas wipe the floor with projo sets, especially if you aren't seeing directly in front of the set, but off to the side like many people do.

It kind of scares me to know this guy is a "technician" and says things like that. Also, take the projector out of the TV? It's not exactly that simple. Things like inputs and lens would be the least of your problems with that "brilliant" idea.

gadean    0

I beg to differ. I own a plasma and I see people who come over for the first time in awe with how beautiful it looks. The disappointing thing about LCD is the poor viewing angles. I don't want to have to sit in just one positition for my TV to look good. That's just ludicris. With my plasma it looks awesome from any angle, during the daytime, and especially at night. I would buy plasma again in an instant.

When plasma first came out it was given a bad name because the technology hadn't matured enough. There were problems with it, I agree. But today's tvs are simply outstanding.

bangbang023    31

I had a chance to compare the Panasonic 42pz700 and the Pioner 4280 side by side today for a few minutes. I must admit the Panasonic is better than I thought, though not on par with the Pioneer. However, compared to crap from companies like LG and Samsung (they put out some really poor plasmas), the Panasonic is definitely a good deal. I would still go with the Pioneer, though, if you have the money. The blacks really do spank anything else on the market that I have seen.

Dale    16

after looking around i found a TV that really sticks out for picture and fits my price range. and is the size I want

The Toshiba 47" HD LCD TV

Model Number: 47HL167

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...=&langid=EN

Do you think it is necessary to buy extended warranty when paying for a 47" LCD TV?

booboo    6

We have a Pioneer 50 inch plasma (hd) and we accidentally left it on a xbox game for 3 days (we went on a weekend holiday kinda thing) and it was fine. So I can't comment really. In my opinion LCD's have crap picture quality compared to a plasma. But thats just my opinion.

se7en.hu    0
No and no.

Plasma has better black levels, much wider viewing angles, and no hot spots. DLP is not superior. It's meant to be a cost effective alternative.

Sorry I was talking more about front projection systems, not rear/crt/dlp/lcd or plasma etc.

In which case I do believe DLP is better.

atrican    0
I'm sorry, but your friend is talking from the wrong side of the argument. He seems to be talking about ease of fixing a unit and not the actual picture quality. Plasmas wipe the floor with projo sets, especially if you aren't seeing directly in front of the set, but off to the side like many people do.

It kind of scares me to know this guy is a "technician" and says things like that. Also, take the projector out of the TV? It's not exactly that simple. Things like inputs and lens would be the least of your problems with that "brilliant" idea.

When I said take out the projector I was being over simplistic. Of course it involves more then that but I was giving an idea.

The truth is plsma's have serious problems when it comes to light ask any tech repair. And he was not talking from repair problems either. Ask any technician and they will tell you they get more calls for plsma's then LCD.s

SonComet    0
Sorry I was talking more about front projection systems, not rear/crt/dlp/lcd or plasma etc.

In which case I do believe DLP is better.

I totally agree on the front projection thing. I would take the Marantz VP-11S1 or the Sharp XV-Z20000 over even the 103" Panasonic plasma any day of the week. Black levels ftw, lol. The sxrd/lcos based projectors like the 004, pearl, ruby, and dla-hd1 aren't bad at all either. Just not quite as nice as the nicest single chip dlp models. In terms of regular tvs though, dlps are not my favorite at all.