Enzyme Destroys HIV Virus

OJ Simpson or Paris Hilton are more interesting :devil: .

Paris can probably benefit from this news...

Great news, hopefully it works.

And as someone already brought up: drugs that cut genome is quite dangerous because it might cut at the wrong place and give you more problems.

A very good start. I think it's still a long way until we can cure HIV though...if at all. Prevention is still the best and most effective method.

Very good points. (Y)

Paris can probably benefit from this news...

:laugh: Sad but likely true..

i always forget the difference between HIV and AIDS.

basically this would stop aids in theory...but not cure those that have it.

since AIDS is HIV in an advanced stage, as long as you were tested for HIV an recieved treatment soon enough.

I hope its true also... but I've heard claims of cures before and then never heard anything again.

Yeah its great news. But as someone pointed out before, it is a risky way to destroy the infection.

Also, if/when this is fully released as a cure, it will probably have a HUGE price tag on it.

Also, if/when this is fully released as a cure, it will probably have a HUGE price tag on it.

If the government took hold of it. :/

I would hope that any person who did find the cure would donate the cure, rather than charge a lot for it..

I hope this is the end of that virus

It would be good if it is the end of this virus. The only problem is that nature will create a new virus or a more evolved virus that will be more deadly.

It would be good if it is the end of this virus. The only problem is that nature will create a new virus or a more evolved virus that will be more deadly.

I think that rule typically applies to vaccines. This actually stops replication, so I don't see it being able to evolve its way out of this. Then, again, I'm not a micro-biologist....

That's probably true, but thankfully we have people like Oprah and Bono and Bill Gates and so many others that will donate to people to get the cure. Look at the AIDS work Bono and Bill Gates have done in places like Africa. While there might be a huge price tag, I believe people will still get the cure :yes:

Well this is indeed good news. If they did find the cure i'm sure even if it's "priceless" they're would be tons of people wanting to pay for it or if it's free at least pay to get it mass produced. I mean all it takes is one scientist couple years of hard work (or sometimes a lifetime) to find a cure and then have it mass produced. Surely they "could" do it for free especially if the Govt steps in but usually that doesn't happen till later on so the first group of people might have to pay huge sums. Sux but almost nothing in life is free... only taxes and death, You don't have to do anything for those in return. You just get them.

But then we would be better educated on how to handle the virus through prevention! ;)

Can this be it? Even if it's not, why haven't I heard this on CNN, BBC, FOX? It's like these networks ignore this big breaking news in favor of OJ Simpson Saga #2

Tool - Vicarious

Eye on the TV

Cause tragedy thrills me

Whatever flavor

It happens to be

Amen. if it's true she should get Nobel prize.

i'm not religious but i pray that it's true.

I do not believe they should be awarded a prize. The prize should be the satafaction of helping man kind. Although I do believe he should be one of the richest men in the world for this.

Big Problem here - its not in as high demand as you think!

We talked about this in our economics class last week. There is only demand if someone can actually PAY for it, and those thousands of people in Africa can't pay for it, thus they don't have demand for it.

There is far less people with AIDs in the USA, so it would cost a lot more to produce. Not to mention patent fees, testing and all - increasing the cost. Unless it becomes government funded, I don't see this going far

According to http://www.avert.org/statsum.htm there is less then 1/2 million people living with AIDs in the USA - assume approximately only 20% of them can actually afford the treatment (as AIDs tends to happen in poorer areas without birth control and information) thats less then 100,000 in the USA who are willing to pay. So for something which may end up costing hundreds of millions, if not billions to research and perfect, each medication may cost anywhere from 5,000-$50,000 (looking at a brad range of specialized treatments)

Edited by Brandon

I do not believe they should be awarded a prize. The prize should be the satafaction of helping man kind. Although I do believe he should be one of the richest men in the world for this.

Make that the richest man, he deserves it if its all true.

This will save millions and millions of lives.

Now lets hope he'll use the money for more research, besides a new car and house :)

Big Problem here - its not in as high demand as you think!

We talked about this in our economics class last week. There is only demand if someone can actually PAY for it, and those thousands of people in Africa can't pay for it, thus they don't have demand for it.

There is far less people with AIDs in the USA, so it would cost a lot more to produce. Not to mention patent fees, testing and all - increasing the cost. Unless it becomes government funded, I don't see this going far

According to http://www.avert.org/statsum.htm there is less then 1/2 million people living with AIDs in the USA - assume approximately only 20% of them can actually afford the treatment (as AIDs tends to happen in poorer areas without birth control and information) thats less then 100,000 in the USA who are willing to pay. So for something which may end up costing hundreds of millions, if not billions to research and perfect, each medication may cost anywhere from 5,000-$50,000 (looking at a brad range of specialized treatments)

That is real crap you're talking there. The world doesn't end in the USA. Money doesn't matter if you can save lives.

You think Bill Gates, the UN or some kind of governement won't open up their neat little wallet if necessary?

Make that the richest man, he deserves it if its all true.

This will save millions and millions of lives.

Now lets hope he'll use the money for more research, besides a new car and house :)

That is real crap you're talking there. The world doesn't end in the USA. Money doesn't matter if you can save lives.

You think Bill Gates, the UN or some kind of governement won't open up their neat little wallet if necessary?

its economics. The US and other governments aren't going to drop billions of dollars to help in africa. It will be private charities that will, over time do that. It will be years before these medications make any affect on Africa.

UN doesn't have money to throw away. They are a peace-keeping unit, thats all.

UN doesn't have money to throw away. They are a peace-keeping unit, thats all.

Thats a rather sick alliteration of saving millions of lives if you ask me.

Anyways, I think there will be a massive demand for it. When it hits the market, it won't go slow, I think