• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

NTFS or FAT32 on my PC?

Ironguy    0

OK, I'm dumb. How do I tell whether or not I have NTFS or FAT32 file system?

I'm assuming that since there are no security tabs on file properties, that I'm FAT32.

radioboy    1

see here...

post-11-1042156378.jpg

Ironguy    0

Gee, that was easy.

Thanks. I'm fat with that.

Now, do I convert or not. I think I will and if it slows everything to a crawl I do a clean Pro install.

Buzz99    8

I've heard that converting FAT32 to NTFS with any utility such as partition magic don't do any good to Windows XP since the format is NTFS 5. There are differents NTFS formats. maybe you should reconsider installing windows XP from scratch. I did not tested that.

mcnelson    0

Isn't this a 1 way trip? I don't think it's possible to convert from NTFS back to Fat32, so be wary.

Unless I'm wrong, then it doesn't matter.

I'm often wrong.

:blink:

Briandl79    0

Yes it is a one way trip, which is fine because you don't want to go back to where you came from....

EZ Tutty    0

Deffinetly go for NTFS, it's faster access with more features such as support for hdd's over 38Gb.

Simon-    492

it isn't one way if use partition magic to go from ntfs to fat32

i think that it can also be done using an ms-dos startup disk (unpartition everything first from computer management, or use fdisk)

:D

Ironguy    0

I think I'll give convert.exe a try. If it screws up, then it's time for a clean install anyway.

What do you guys use for backups? I've just been burning CDs.

Ji@nBing    53

i use cd's too and i have about 7 gigs patitioned off where i save all my mp3's ect...

Osiris    872

why isnt everyone using NTFS then?

there is one drawback isnt there, something like files from an NTFS partition arent compatible with files stored on a FAt32 partition? something like that?

I just remember from all the threadss ive seen there is one major draw back to NTFS isnt there?

Zip    0

i make my pc backup automatically 2 my network server on shutdown

Prasanth    0
why isnt everyone using NTFS then?

there is one drawback isnt there, something like files from an NTFS partition arent compatible with files stored on a FAt32 partition? something like that?

I just remember from all the threadss ive seen there is one major draw back to NTFS isnt there?

The only drawback is that you won't be able to access your NTFS drives when you dual boot with a 9x OS.

I don't think there are any other drawbacks.

Angel Blue01    10

Here's a drawback: You can't just boot off a 9x/DOS startup disk to format the drive. Nor can you just boot off the disk to replace system files...

That's why I haven't switched.

Broken Hope    1

You can boot off the XP cd and use recovery console like you would a boot disk.

giantsnyy2002    0
Here's a drawback: You can't just boot off a 9x/DOS startup disk to format the drive. Nor can you just boot off the disk to replace system files...

actually, if you only have one ntfs partition, fdisk realizes this, thus being able to delete that partition, recreate it as a Fat32, then format it. I've done it hundreds of times

Osiris    872

hrmm indeed it may be worth considering NTFS then.

This will require some thought...

xxxSxxx    0

I have strictly used FAT32, until recently. I formatted my OS partition to NTFS. I have a slower boot time, and have had a few anomolies so far. Not to metion when I use a benchmarking tool it doesn't perform properly. but on the upside, defrag is faster, and I guess I have all that famed stuff that NTFS delivers. To tell the truth. I give it a month or so, and if I continue to find problems or other stuff, I will likely go back to FAT32. I have been happy with it. Security?? I have a firewall and antivirus, ad blocking, spyware remover, etc.. I don't need NTFS. So I decided to try it. Like I said I may go back to FAT.

Osiris    872

Okay im seriouslythinking about this because I need to re-distribute the data on my partitions so why not change the file system why im there.

Just tell me or try to answer these questions for me

1. NTFS is meant to be faster, and more effecient right?2

2. Will NTFS improve the overall quality or speed of how I do things, eg games, video compression or editing etc

3. I have a high end system, P4 lotsa ram, will I still gain an improvement?

4. If I have my main drive as NTFS then my 2nd hdd as FAT32 can the NTFS still read and write to the FAT32.

5. and most importanly ive read this thread but im still not quite sure, can anyone say definitely that you can get back to FAT32 if you convert to NTFS

Thankyou in advance to any or all who attempt to answer these questions.

Prasanth    0

NTFS perfoms betters in large volumes and fat32 perfoms better on small volumes. NTFS is not affected by the fragmentation of the drive. FAT32 perfomance will quickly drop if the drive is fragmented.

Video compression? you mean encoding? It depends mostly on the processor speed. ;)

-edit-

Its better to format the file system to NTFS, sometimes when converting the filesystem you may notice prefomance decrease.

Osiris    872

my hdd configfuration ranges from 15gig - 40 gig partitions.

would that be large drives as you mentioned?

Joel    27
5. and most importanly ive read this thread but im still not quite sure, can anyone say definitely that you can get back to FAT32 if you convert to NTFS

Apparently, you can go back to FAT32 with Partition Magic, but I've heard nothing but problems about that.

Steven    80

Well thats not true..

::coughs:: Recovery Console.

Visentinel    0

Reasons to not use FAT32

Easyer to get file system errors .. ALOT easyer and this means more time on chkdsk

Not any faster under windows 2000/XP - Infact abit slower On Large Partitions

Unsecure - No Security whatsoever

FAT is as old as the Dos Floppy Disk, Why on earth use such old technology?

NTFS is Secure, Much more reliable Faster in most Cases and theres a multitude of Features, and lets not forget NTFS is a Journaling File System To ;)

In this day even a firewall is not enough to make sure your files are "Secure"

Its good to have Piece of Mind Folks !