Windows Media Player 8

• 2 weeks later...

WMP8 is brilliant. I have used it in both WinXP and in 2k [the rip]. It is a lot better in WinXP because it has lots of extra features [like an auto minimise feature that get's rid of the menu of options at the top and that leaves just the video...]. That is the main new feature and so you have to get WinXP to use it.

Basically, if you have 7.1 don't bother trying to upgrade, it isn't worth it.

-mortensenj

WinME ships with:

Direct X 7.1

Media Player 7

Internet Explorer 5.5

Movie Maker

Extra card games and online games

New desktops

So YES, WinME ships with Media Player 7.

-mortensenj

Indeed, I have tried wmp 8. At first I thought it was pretty cool, I dled the water skin from their website, and enjoyed it features for about 10 mins..when it crashed my win2k. Figuring, that common, how could it crash so fast..I tried it again, and again (without the skin)..and yet again it crashed :mad:. Alas, I have reverted back to wmp 7.01:right:

WMP7 - that's the very slow one, right? with large, completely unstandard window edges? And support for large, completely unstardard very slow plugins, right?

I don't describe every peice of software I dislike the worst ever - I consider it a very strong discription limited to (supposedly) one program. And I have to say Windows Media Player 7 is it.

When I play music on my computer I want it in the background, not sticking out in the middle of my screen. I use Coolplayer as, compared to WinAMP, it's fast and un-resource hogging, while still having the features that I like to have (playlists, shuffleplay, other such small, everything has stuff). WMP7 is massively slower than WinAMP and is stuffed full of crap. It's also unstable, which WinAMP and coolplayer aren't.

If I want to watch video I don't want massively bloated window borders and such either. WMP6 is perfectly good - small, compact, stable, fast - what else could you want?

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

WMP7 was very slow, but changing a few setting solved that. Stopping it going to the "Media Bar" by default helped.

WinME was actually quite poorly slow. The new help system they brought in was worse than bad, it was so slow [even on 256RAM, etc] that it was as good as unusable.

WinXP fixes all these problems. WMP8 is VERY fast in comparison and the new help system is perfect - It looks pretty and works quickly.

-mortensenj

So I guess Win Media Player 7x is the end of the WMP for 98? Oh well, wont really bother me because I'm planning on upgrading to XP in a few months....only if my comp can take it, but it should atleast boot up lol.....about time to buy a vid card...:D

WIN XP pro. which is what I have recommends 300 mhz or higher and 128. ram. will run on 233 mhz min and 64 ram also min. but might have limited performance and features with the ram.

Also, needs 1.5 gb min. h.d. space

8 meg min. video card