[HELP] Remote Desktop on XP Home SP2

How do i setup remote desktop to connect to on XP Home SP2 to control the computer localy? if i try connect even though its allowed it just refuses me, i am using a router but no need for port forward as it is LAN ip (192.168.1.5 or domain name \\SERVER) VNC Works fine but it lags so i want to use the remote desktop as its built in and it works great. when i make invites on the pc and send over network and connect, just how do i setup username / passwords and setup Remote assitance on it to connect from the connector?

help please,

thanks,

Matt

Is RDP enabled on MCE? I think not, but I wasn't sure.

Yes, RDP is included with MCE.

I hate VNC it lags on lan, anyone recommend how to optimize it so its faster or know any other good ones?

I have never had any issues with VNC over the lan. What version are you trying?

I am very curious on what vnc you are using, an what settings - cuz there should be no reason even on a 10mb or even wireless lan that vnc should lag.

Please post what flavor of vnc your using an how you have it configured.

For XP home you could edit the files on the machine your wanting to connect to to auto accept -- its a bit of work around -- but it will allow you to auto connect to a remote assistance without them having to ok the connection. Here are the changes you need to make.

WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\System\Remote Assistance\helpeeaccept.htm

Find this section.

btnAccept.disabled = false;

btnDecline.disabled = false;

btnDecline.focus();

Add this line

DoAccept();

So it now looks like this

btnAccept.disabled = false;

btnDecline.disabled = false;

btnDecline.focus();

DoAccept();

This will AUTO accept your connection for you.. If you want to also be able to take control of the machine without their interaction.. In this file

WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\System\Remote Assistance\Interaction\Server\TakeControlMsgs.htm

Find this section

idExpert1.innerText = vArgs[0];

idExpert2.innerText = vArgs[0];

idExpert3.innerText = vArgs[0];

Add this line

onClickHandler(0)

So it now looks like this

idExpert1.innerText = vArgs[0];

idExpert2.innerText = vArgs[0];

idExpert3.innerText = vArgs[0];

onClickHandler(0)

I would suggest you keep copies of the original files before edit, You edit the max time for the connection from 30 days to 99 with this edit.

On the machine your going to be connecting too.. before you create your RA request, add the following in the reg dword values here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]

"MaxExpiryUnits"=dword:00000002

"MaxTicketExpiryUnits"=dword:00000063

This will allow you to create a invite for 99 days.. Save the invite as a file -- then whenever you need/want to remote that machine just click on the file.

Its a lot easier to just use your favorite VNC flavor ;)

Thanks Budman i will try that, and i am using the free vnc from www.realvnc.com with default settings and just a set password, maybe i need to upgrade to personal edition for the full effect? i could always try the trial of the personal version of vnc and see if theres any difference? ill go try it now.

edit: faster when i use enterprise, alot lot faster.

Edited by matty13

As already suggested use one of the other flavors of vnc, if unhappy with one of them.. I use UltraVNC myself -- many features an great performance.