• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Disabling UAC

Schwa83    2

Hello everyone,

I disabled UAC on my Vista Home Premium.

Sometimes I'll reboot and it's re-Enabled. This drives me nuts

Anyone know what is causing this? Is there a way to stop this from happening? I appreciate any help provided. Thanks

Mordkanin    225

Well, not disabling it is a good place to start.

Any particular reason you need it to be disabled?

franzon    7
I disabled UAC on my Vista Home Premium.

Don't disable it!

Using a computer with full privileges is a bad thing!

Browsing Internet with full privileges is a bad thing!

Letting the applications get automatically full privileges is a bad thing!

Windows XP was a bad thing!

Edited by franzon

Schwa83    2

Let's get this straight, I don't need lecturing on needing it enabled. I'm no idiot when it comes to computers and I certainly know how to run my own computer. It's annoying, I myself DO NOT NEED IT ON, so if you arn't going to respond to my question, please don't respond at all.... jeezus.

Jeff-Flowers    0

I agree with NrthnStar5. And just because someone has UAC turned off doesn't mean that they are browsing the Internet in an Admin account.

Mordkanin    225
Let's get this straight, I don't need lecturing on needing it enabled. I'm no idiot when it comes to computers and I certainly know how to run my own computer. It's annoying, I myself DO NOT NEED IT ON, so if you arn't going to respond to my question, please don't respond at all.... jeezus.

Ok. Therein lies the problem. Thinking you're "no idiot when it comes to computers", therefore, you don't need UAC is completely the wrong idea. UAC is not about preventing you from doing dumb things to your computer, or second guessing your actions (Though it does help every now and then when you do attempt to do dumb things....call it an added bonus.). UAC is about giving running applications the least access to your computer that they need to function.

That said, I have no idea why it's doing what its doing, I just felt you should be aware that turning off UAC is a spectacular way to shoot yourself in the foot with Vista.

And just because someone has UAC turned off doesn't mean that they are browsing the Internet in an Admin account.

If I'm not mistaken, having UAC off makes Limitted accounts more of a PITA to use, so it's much more likely to assume that they're not using a limitted account if they have it off.

Brandon Live    232

If you knew what you were doing, you would leave it on. Only novices who don't understand how their computers work turn it off.

What method are you using to disable it? The big button in control panel?

benplace    65

UAC is very annoying but my wife and childrens computers have it turned on. Me, as an IT director who understands computers and how they work, I have it turned off because it is annoying.

Try running msconfig and the tools tab and towards the very bottom there is a script u can run to turn it off. after running the script, reboot.

+shift.    21

Well maybe something better to do would be just tell him why it's turning back on when he reboots.

INSTEAD OF, trying to change his decision to turn UAC off, cause he probably won't listen.

bradavon    1

Have you tried TweakUAC, or the relevant registry key it relates to? It enables you to leave UAC on but hide the popups which is all people hate about UAC in the first place. It's a godsend for me, the perfect compromise!

It's a tiny program and can be found on Google.

+BeLGaRaTh    43
Have you tried TweakUAC, or the relevant registry key it relates to? It enables you to leave UAC on but hide the popups which is all people hate about UAC in the first place. It's a godsend for me, the perfect compromise!

It's a tiny program and can be found on Google.

[off topic]

So if you dont get the popup, how do you allow/disallow something? If its set to always allow, then thats just as bad as disabling it.

[/off topic]

Janitor    0
Don't disable it!

Using a computer with full privileges is a bad thing!

Browsing Internet with full privileges is a bad thing!

Letting the applications get automatically full privileges is a bad thing!

Windows XP was a bad thing!

Idiots that don't know how to use a computer are a bad thing, i've always and will always use my PCs with admin privs. Although i've still to get some malware, virus etc. Before you say "that you know about".. there's nothing. Period.

|Rapture|    18
If you knew what you were doing, you would leave it on. Only novices who don't understand how their computers work turn it off.

You've got to be freaking kidding me.

Brandon Live    232
[off topic]

So if you dont get the popup, how do you allow/disallow something? If its set to always allow, then thats just as bad as disabling it.

[/off topic]

That's not true at all. Obviously, it's not nearly as secure as leaving the pop-ups on... but it's much better than disabling UAC.

If you disable UAC, all apps run with Administrator privileges whether they need them or not. There is no distinction between privilege levels, everything is always "High Integrity" (administrator access).

With UAC enabled, even with prompts disabled, applications only get the privilege level they request. If they don't request admin privileges (normally shows a UAC prompt), they will run at Medium IL (standard user privileges). So most of your apps (Outlook, Thunderbird, Sidebar, uTorrent, whatever) will run with standard user privileges. If they are exploited, the attack is far more likely to fail or be mitigated because the application process doesn't have access to anything your user account can't access (so it can't delete Windows files, affect other users, etc).

Even more importantly, applications that request Low IL (highly restricted privileges) will still receive it. Thus, IE Protected Mode will still function - whereas it cannot function if UAC is completely disabled, meaning that IE will run with admin privileges - and any zero-click vulnerabilities found in it that aren't patched will leave you very open to attack.

You've got to be freaking kidding me.

Clearly, I am not. The biggest challenge with UAC isn't getting power users / IT people to use it - they're more likely to see the benefits. In fact, it's a highly demanded feature from them.

It's people who think it's "just another warning dialog" that turn it off. The UAC prompts are really only a small part of UAC and how it protects you.

Mordkanin    225
[off topic]

[/off topic]

It's bad, yes. But it's not "as bad". Apps will still run by default (Unless they specifically require it at startup) without Admin privledges, and then if during the application's time running, an exploit is attempted, it will likely fail because of the way the process was started.

Plus, there's always protected mode IE...which gets disabled along with UAC.

Edit: Brandon beat me to it.

5Horizons    1

Haha, right. So I guess all the people running XP are just novices too? I understand the logic behind UAC, but people need to get off their high horses about it and realize that it can be a huge pain at times. UAC can make something that was trivial under XP into a huge, drawn-out process in Vista.

bradavon    1

On top of Brandon Live's post I also heard disabling UAC turns off folder and registry virtualization too, another security measure. I guess because there is no need for it, programs have rights to all folders/registry anyway.

UAC has it's place but it's also important to remember what it gives can be done just as effectively at another level. All it gives IT Admins have been doing for years already, people knew of XP and prior's flaws and worked around them. UAC has more worth at Home than in the Business environment. I just thought I'd mention that.

Mordkanin    225
So I guess all the people running XP are just novices too?

No. They're just using a less secure operating system.

Brandon Live    232
Haha, right. So I guess all the people running XP are just novices too?

That's a disingenuous question. They don't have that option, obviously.

I understand the logic behind UAC, but people need to get off their high horses about it and realize that it can be a huge pain at times. UAC can make something that was trivial under XP into a huge, drawn-out process in Vista.

How exactly is click "Continue" to one dialog (which you probably hardly ever see) a "drawn-out process?"

Schwa83    2

I've been using vista since shortly after release, I've left UAC on until this point. I'm MOST CLEAR on what UAC's purpose is, how it works, and why it does what it does.

For the average user, I would say most definitly keep it on.

For me? I DO NOT need to be prompted when i want to defrag, view device manager, or go into my security settings. It is annoying, So i would appreciate it if those that want to Preach it... DON'T. I didn't ask "Why do i need uac?"

Anywho...

I figured out what was causing it. I was using a program called Advanced Windows Care from IObit (very similar to ccleaner) and when i would run that, UAC would be enabled upon reboot. If i rebooted without running it, UAC would remain turned off. I switched to CCleaner and have not had this issue.

Oh, and BTW, i'm aware of the msconfig/control panel/registry ways of disabling UAC. But i figured it out now. Thanks

Brandon Live    232
I'm MOST CLEAR on what UAC's purpose is, how it works, and why it does what it does.

For the average user, I would say most definitly keep it on.

For me? I DO NOT need to be prompted when i want to defrag, view device manager, or go into my security settings. It is annoying, So i would appreciate it if those that want to Preach it... DON'T. I didn't ask "Why do i need uac?"

Obviously you aren't clear on how it works, if you think its purpose is to prompt you when you defrag. Turning off UAC is stupid. There's no nicer way about it, it is deliberately disabling the number one best line of defense your computer has against attack. There's really just no good reason to do that, no matter how much of an "expert" you think you are.

Why aren't you at least doing what was suggested above - disable the prompts, but leave UAC on?

And seriously... how often are you defragging or going into device manager?

Mordkanin    225

Just so you know, Vista automatically defrags all volumes weekly.

ntbnnt    0

I just disabled security center. It is really ****ing annoying when you tell it to go away and it comes back when you boot. Defender may be doing this for you as well. Check to make sure anyother security programs aren't screwing with your UAC settings. I also noticed a couple of registry protecting programs enact werid policies.

Schwa83    2
Just so you know, Vista automatically defrags all volumes weekly.

I'm fully aware, I was just giving this as an example.

Obviously you aren't clear on how it works, if you think its purpose is to prompt you when you defrag. Turning off UAC is stupid. There's no nicer way about it, it is deliberately disabling the number one best line of defense your computer has against attack. There's really just no good reason to do that, no matter how much of an "expert" you think you are.

Why aren't you at least doing what was suggested above - disable the prompts, but leave UAC on?

And seriously... how often are you defragging or going into device manager?

You need to back the F*** down and stop telling me what is stupid and what isn't. I WILL DECIDE what is stupid and what's not. My personal preference is to have it OFF. I will repeat: MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE. You need to stop shoving this down my throat. I understand what I am doing and what I am turning off, I understand the Risks and I AM WILLING to take them.

Move Along.

notuptome2004    152
I'm fully aware, I was just giving this as an example.

You need to back the F*** down and stop telling me what is stupid and what isn't. I WILL DECIDE what is stupid and what's not. My personal preference is to have it OFF. I will repeat: MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE. You need to stop shoving this down my throat. I understand what I am doing and what I am turning off, I understand the Risks and I AM WILLING to take them.

Move Along.

i wonder if You hate Microsoft or something the way you talk, Brandon is just trying to give ya the facts and telling Him in so many words that he seems to not know as much as you or something . If i worked at Ms like Brandon does i would walk to your house and Slap ya silly for those remarks but hey that is just me. look we are all entitled to are own opinion but when that opinion is a well costly bad choice on something such as your Pcs health then you should change your mind .