• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disabling UAC

Sethos    270

I fully agree with you NrthnStar, i find it highly annoying. I don't care how unsafe it is to disable, it will remain off on both my Computers.

Then Brandon and the rest of the crew can keep honking, i don't care.

Schwa83    2
i wonder if You hate Microsoft or something the way you talk, Brandon is just trying to give ya the facts and telling Him in so many words that he seems to not know as much as you or something . If i worked at Ms like Brandon does i would walk to your house and Slap ya silly for those remarks but hey that is just me. look we are all entitled to are own opinion but when that opinion is a well costly bad choice on something such as your Pcs health then you should change your mind .

Hate microsoft? Not at all, I used to be a big supporter of microsoft, that was dwindled somewhat but I am in no way's a hater..

I'm extremely irked at his attitude towards me. Listen, I understand what he is trying to do, I however don't need it pushed at me that it's "The Only Way". I've used UAC for months, I'd prefer to have it off. I don't need to be talked to as if I am illiterate with computers, I am not. I don't understand how a simple question has become a huge debate on UAC...???

Loren    2

Type msconfig into your start button Run command.

Go to the tab marked Tools. Scroll down to Disable UAC - then click the Launch button.

You can turn it back on the same way.

lsquare    1
Obviously you aren't clear on how it works, if you think its purpose is to prompt you when you defrag. Turning off UAC is stupid. There's no nicer way about it, it is deliberately disabling the number one best line of defense your computer has against attack. There's really just no good reason to do that, no matter how much of an "expert" you think you are.

Why aren't you at least doing what was suggested above - disable the prompts, but leave UAC on?

And seriously... how often are you defragging or going into device manager?

I don't have a problem with UAC except with those prompts. It's so ****ing annoying despite what you have said. I have always disabled UAC because of that. Now that you mention that the prompts can be disabled, is there a registry setting for that? This is my first time hearing this and I'm just curious what would happen if the prompts are disabled and let's say one of these "programs" started attacking your computer? Will UAC then make a prompt?

+warwagon    12,710
Let's get this straight, I don't need lecturing on needing it enabled. I'm no idiot when it comes to computers and I certainly know how to run my own computer. It's annoying, I myself DO NOT NEED IT ON, so if you arn't going to respond to my question, please don't respond at all.... jeezus.

I think the movie "Contact" said it best

Doctor - We've given these to the astronauts since the start of the space program. (hands her a pill)

It's never been made public, of course. It's fast and it's painless.

Jody Foster - I'm going to travel 26 light years to commit suicide?

Doctor -Something may go wrong.There may be an unforeseen mechanical failure.You could be marooned, unable to return. There are 1,000 reasons we can think of to have this...but mostly it's for the reasons we can't think of.

Schwa83    2
I don't have a problem with UAC except with those prompts. It's so ****ing annoying despite what you have said. I have always disabled UAC because of that. Now that you mention that the prompts can be disabled, is there a registry setting for that? This is my first time hearing this and I'm just curious what would happen if the prompts are disabled and let's say one of these "programs" started attacking your computer? Will UAC then make a prompt?

Basically all programs would run as standard user, if you had something that needed to be ran as administrator, You would have to manually run it with admin rights, (right click "run as admin")

Instructions:

There's a more subtle configuration choice that gives you some of the benefits of UAC without any of the prompting. You'll need to edit the local security policy to control this, as follows:

From the Start search bar, type "Local Security Policy"

Accept the elevation prompt

From the snap-in, select Security Settings -> Local Policy -> Security Options

Scroll down to the bottom, where you'll find nine different group policy settings for granular configuration of UAC.

Perhaps the best choice to select is to change the setting:

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode

from Prompt for consent to Elevate without prompting.

I think the movie "Contact" said it best

THAT is an AMAZING MOVIE :yes:

lsquare    1
i wonder if You hate Microsoft or something the way you talk, Brandon is just trying to give ya the facts and telling Him in so many words that he seems to not know as much as you or something . If i worked at Ms like Brandon does i would walk to your house and Slap ya silly for those remarks but hey that is just me. look we are all entitled to are own opinion but when that opinion is a well costly bad choice on something such as your Pcs health then you should change your mind .

I realize Brandon has good intentions and wants to clarify things, but the OP doesn't want to go the route that Brandon is telling him to go. I fully respect Brandon and I appreciate the advice that he's giving, but it's pretty rude to force your will on to someone else if they don't want to. The OP already said that he realize what the potential consequences are and he's being lectured for not really doing anything particularly wrong. It's like another adult telling another adult not to smoke a cigarette at a bar even though he fully realizes the consequences of smoking.

Schwa83    2

Thanks Sgt_Strider: Hit on the nail

The problem with this whole Thread is I've been pushed into the corner and made to Defend Myself. I don't need to defend anything, and That is what upset me.

Brandon Live    232

Sorry, didn't mean to be so pushy - I do that sometimes when I've just woken up :) It just bothers me to see people saying "I know what I'm doing, so I don't need UAC" - since the benefits of UAC have nothing to do with "knowing what you're doing." It's a common misconception that UAC is there to inform you about what a program is trying to do, or that it's there so the computer can differentiate between an action you initiated and one you didn't. Neither of those is true. It's there to give you the ability to restrict the privileges with which a process runs. It's an extremely valuable tool, and only more useful the more you understand about how your system works. I honestly can't imagine running IE without Protected Mode, given the option. These days, it's virtually guaranteed to save your butt.

Of course it's your system, you're free to turn it off. But you should consider the other options such as enabling auto-consent. I also hesitate when people ask me questions like "How do I make my system less secure?" or "I'm trying to do something that will make my system less reliable, can you help?" Though both get asked quite often.

soldier1st    40

download an app called tweakuac,it will keep uac on but without the annoying messages that comes with it.

ozgeek    157

I have UAC off on my computer. It's so annoying and "in your face". I don't want my computer asking me before doing things I orders it to do. Imagine what happens in the army? Would a private question a sergeent's order? The sergenant would have the private thrown out. That is would happen to my computer. Just a funny example.

What was wrong with anti-everything software? The actually do a very good job. Let me tell you my security system on my computer:

UAC - Off

Windows Defender - on and working and constantly updated

Spybot Search and Destroy - on and constantly updated. Actually this have Immuzie feature.

Windows Firewall - on and working. Even get messages telling me some programs are trying to call home.

Ant-Virus - none installed. But have Kaspersky in XP virtual machine.

How long did I run in this situation? 8 months! Not even a single reinstallation of Windows Vista!

crawling_nanny    0
Hello everyone,

I disabled UAC on my Vista Home Premium.

Sometimes I'll reboot and it's re-Enabled. This drives me nuts

Anyone know what is causing this? Is there a way to stop this from happening? I appreciate any help provided. Thanks

Did you disable this via msconfig?

If not try this, start->run->msconfig

There is a tab (I think) called Advanced. Double click disable UAC.

Then, Start->Control Panel->Security Centre on the left click Change the way Security Centre alerts me and chooose do not display an icon.

Sorry if the guide is not perfect, but my Vista comp is back home and have my XP comp with me. This is the way I disabled UAC.

Brandon Live    232
I have UAC off on my computer. It's so annoying and "in your face". I don't want my computer asking me before doing things I orders it to do. Imagine what happens in the army? Would a private question a sergeent's order? The sergenant would have the private thrown out. That is would happen to my computer. Just a funny example.

That's not funny nor an example... but okay. Besides, do you really think the military doesn't have protocols to require confirmation when someone is given the highest clearance (or let's say, authorization to arm nuclear weapons, etc)?

What was wrong with anti-everything software? The actually do a very good job.

Anti-whatever software can't protect you from an attack that exploits a flaw in some application you run. It can identify and maybe even block viruses or malware that someone tries to install via that exploit, but it can't do anything about the exploit itself. Even then, such software is reactive. It can't stop something that hasn't been identified and analyzed. UAC creates a very substantial firewall of sorts that prevents exploited programs from doing serious damage - even from completely unknown attack vectors, against virtually every application you run.

abc@home    0

Are there already enough discussons on UAC? When someone wants to disable UAC, a causual warning and a link to previous discussion is more than necessary.

tranceandy    0

Please delete.

abcdefg    0
do you really think the military doesn't have protocols to require confirmation when someone is given the highest clearance (or let's say, authorization to arm nuclear weapons, etc)?

I just love that example.

So when John Doe wants to enter restricted area, instead of giving sufficient rights he is granted "Nuke 'em all" rights.

Why Admin rights when you only want to e.g. install a game?

franzon    7
Why Admin rights when you only want to e.g. install a game?

Because an administrator must have the control of what the users can install on the system, otherwise all users are able to install every program without the control of a central authority. Keep in mind that Windows is a multiuser operating system.

abcdefg    0
Because an administrator must have the control of what the users can install on the system, otherwise all users are able to install every program without the control of a central authority. Keep in mind that Windows is a multiuser operating system.

Wrong.

There should be different (lower than full "kill 'em all" access) for installing programs. How can I be sure that program I'm gonna install isn't in fact killer virus which will wipe my HD? Operating system should be isolated as well as possible from everything else.

Right now it's either you'll install and take the risk, or don't install.

UAC doesn't tell you what an installer is going to do. Bad design.

BTW how can I use "Run as" in Vista? (not run as admin)

Schwa83    2
Sorry, didn't mean to be so pushy - I do that sometimes when I've just woken up It just bothers me to see people saying "I know what I'm doing, so I don't need UAC" - since the benefits of UAC have nothing to do with "knowing what you're doing." It's a common misconception that UAC is there to inform you about what a program is trying to do, or that it's there so the computer can differentiate between an action you initiated and one you didn't. Neither of those is true. It's there to give you the ability to restrict the privileges with which a process runs. It's an extremely valuable tool, and only more useful the more you understand about how your system works. I honestly can't imagine running IE without Protected Mode, given the option. These days, it's virtually guaranteed to save your butt.

Of course it's your system, you're free to turn it off. But you should consider the other options such as enabling auto-consent. I also hesitate when people ask me questions like "How do I make my system less secure?" or "I'm trying to do something that will make my system less reliable, can you help?" Though both get asked quite often.

Well, here's the deal. I had decided on turning it off after some frusteration, so I decided to try running my PC without it off. After some thought, I decided to turn it back on again. I have several programs that I run on a daily basis that requires me to see the UAC prompts (2 games, CCleaner, & a media player) so I turned it off out of frusteration, but later realized the benefits outweight the moment of frusteration.

Mordkanin    225

What media player requires elevation? That sounds like something no media player should need.

franzon    7
UAC doesn't tell you what an installer is going to do. Bad design.

Oh my god, people are complaining for 1 click UAC and you're asking to confirm every single installer's action?? This behavior was in BETA2 but people complained it!

Installer's actions:

1) write into program files: YES or NO

2) install this driver: YES or NO

3) launch this administrative task: YES or NO

4) replace this system file: YES or NO

5) change this system setting: YES or NO

Are you crazy????

Do you know an OS that is able to predict what an installer will do? Do you know there're a lot of different installers in the world??? Do you know an OS that is able to know what an executable will do before it's executed???

Schwa83    2
What media player requires elevation? That sounds like something no media player should need.

It was a media center software by J. River, I was trying out a music service with it.

Dashel    542

Why does every proponent of UAC always have to put in their two cents when that is never what the OP asked. Please, enough with the judgemental attitude already. Just accept that many just do not like it and will not use it. UAC/AV guys are like the non-smokers of the Vista world.

Thanks for the tip though, my buddy ran that and sure enough he had it installed as well. I abhor most system optimizers though so not surprised it gunked something up.

abcdefg    0
Are you crazy????

Do you know an OS that is able to predict what an installer will do? Do you know there're a lot of different installers in the world??? Do you know an OS that is able to know what an executable will do before it's executed???

Well, are you dumb?

If I'm forced to install something with highest privileges then yes, I want to see what is going to happen.

But then again, that's why it's so bad to need too many privileges for some simple install. You don't need admin-level rights to write some files to disk and few registry keys.

http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/200...-every-day.html

Why Tetris installer should be allowed to load kernel drivers?

Brandon Live    232
Well, are you dumb?

If I'm forced to install something with highest privileges then yes, I want to see what is going to happen.

But then again, that's why it's so bad to need too many privileges for some simple install. You don't need admin-level rights to write some files to disk and few registry keys.

UAC isn't about protecting specific actions or making you confirm them. It's about the context in which a process runs. Once the process (say, an installer) is started with that privilege level, it can do whatever it wants within the bounds of that account's rights. The real problem is, applications should not elevate unless they absolutely need to. Unfortunately, that takes time since developers have largely ignored Microsoft's LUA guidelines in the past.

http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/200...-every-day.html

Why Tetris installer should be allowed to load kernel drivers?

Then Tetris shouldn't be installed for all users?

My biggest problem with UAC is that it doesn't give the user an option that says, "Let this program run - with with standard privileges only, even though it requested HighestAvailable or Admin." Unfortunately, I believe one reason such an option doesn't exist is that the "average user" won't have a clue what's going on.