.NZB downloading faster?

Whenever i download .a nzb file from newzbin.com or binsearch.info, i get high speeds like 100+KB/sec even though my connection is 128k. Can someone explain why that happens? Maybe i can use that to make all of my downloads faster?

Appreciated...

/saudo1

I have tried the speedtests, they all show 128k.

I have seen stuff like this happen quite often. When the file is very small the browser reads the download speeds much faster then they really are.

Yes that's true but that's not what happens. Even when the .nzb file is 2mb and i click save as very quickly, it downloads much faster.

2mb @ 128k takes a couple of minutes, but these downloads take less than half a minute. This only happens with .nzb on newzbin.com and binsearch.info

maybe this will help.

Newzbin.com has 2 options for downloading .nzb.

One says uncompressed, and that is very fast even though my internet is 128k.

The other one is zipped, and that downloads at normal 128k speed.

I remember when I was on dial-up like 6 years ago, I downloaded a ~12MB file .txt file (WHQL hardware list *silly me :p*) off Microsoft FTP @ 95KB/s, I even video recorded it but I lost the video, and no it was not a program error, the file is actually ~12MB and downloaded very fast!

maybe this will help.

Newzbin.com has 2 options for downloading .nzb.

One says uncompressed, and that is very fast even though my internet is 128k.

The other one is zipped, and that downloads at normal 128k speed.

How big are they? (uncompressed size & zipped size)

How big are they? (uncompressed size & zipped size)

the zip was really small, less than 1mb i think, but it would download @ 128k.

The uncompressed size was 2mb and uncompressed are always downloaded faster lol.

id chalk up to the compression on the file, back when i had dialup i was able to download some txt files at a, at the time, extremely fast speed of 15k as opposed to the regular 3.5k id get and that just blew my mind, so this is probably in the same vein as that as i also download like say a 2 meg .nzb in like under a second and yet i can only download 1 meg a second

the zip was really small, less than 1mb i think, but it would download @ 128k.

The uncompressed size was 2mb and uncompressed are always downloaded faster lol.

I'd suspect it was the effect of on-the fly compression of text/html files. Although the file size seems large, the actual data that went thgough the connection has probably been compressed, and reconstructed by the browser/downloader on the fly

You might find that the TIME it takes to download the text and the zipped file are identical if that was the case.

uncompressed files can usually download faster, normally the server will compress it in a way to make it "smaller" to just get it to you faster but what you get is the normal file :)

Because text files can be compressed before transmission but the speed you get is based on the file size rather than actual compressed file size, the binary files can't be compressed so your speeds won't be increased...

• 2 weeks later...