Disable laptop lid switch

I have a Toshiba M45-S355 laptop and whenever it is in my bag, I guess the lid moves a little bit and sometimes when I take it out I find that it is running, sometimes drained the battery, and very hot. I am afraid that one day it will burn, but I guess before burning it will be out of battery.

I want to disable the little switch so that it does NOTHING at all. I already disabled it in windows "Do Nothing" but that only applies to when you "close" the lid.. Opening has got to be somewhere in registry or bios...

Does anyone know? before I break that little switch..

Problem is, it is in the locking latch, unlike some of the other laptops I have seen, which placed them near the hinge, which could easily by cut/broken off.. but with mine it is impossible. It is a tiny little tab in the locking part.

Any ideas?

Nope, not this setting. This has nothing to do with windows setting. It is hardware setting that is possibly coded by Toshiba. It is similar to a button that you press on your keyboard to turn on your computer, as opposed to pressing the button on the computer tower.

I have already disabled everything in power settings.

In addition when I push that tab by hand, it turns off backlighting of my monitor, that is also not controlled by windows, it is made that way since you don't need backlight on the LCD when it is closed, but it doesn't turn off the monitor signal so you can use external monitor.

EDIT:

*Admiral, I was typing when you posted above, great timing! :)

I am hibernating %100 of the time, and never shut down. This is the problem. When it moves in my bag, it wakes up from hibernation!!

There are power states IN WINDOWS for opening and closing the lid. If you set both of these to "disabled" or "do nothing" as someone already suggested, your laptop will do nothing when it moves around in your bag.

That's standby, not hibernate. Hibernate is turned off, but when turned back on it goes straight to what you were doing before you hibernated.

Oh Please, I hibernate it, and it wakes up from hibernation when the lid slightly opens. After about 15 years of laptop usage, I think I know the difference between hibernation and stand by.

raskren, sorry pal, do nothing does nothing. :) It is only effective for closing the lid. For some reason Opening Lid is controlled by something else, which we don't have access to.

img00268zb1.th.jpgimg00269hi3.th.jpg

I have a Toshiba M45-S355 l

I want to disable the little switch so that it does NOTHING at all. I already disabled it in windows "Do Nothing" but that only applies to when you "close" the lid.. Opening has got to be somewhere in registry or bios...

Any ideas?

ok well that means that windows will not turn off the computer.. that it will burn full speed.. set it to go to stanby and that should cure it

i have a gateway mx6453 and a 6 cell battery i can let it set in standby all night long and it will only eat about 10% of battery

Hibernate doesn't wake up AFAIK though...

Very odd.

Could you just jam the button down with blu-tack then?

Oh yes- sarcasm doesn't go down well. I treat everyone the same. It's best to talk as if they know nothing, because one day they will know nothing. But no need to be sarcastic about it.

But you aren't as bad as the person I wanted to embed a hockey stick into earlier.

Oh Please, I hibernate it, and it wakes up from hibernation when the lid slightly opens. After about 15 years of laptop usage, I think I know the difference between hibernation and stand by.

raskren, sorry pal, do nothing does nothing. :) It is only effective for closing the lid. For some reason Opening Lid is controlled by something else, which we don't have access to.

img00268zb1.th.jpgimg00269hi3.th.jpg

Only the power button should wake the laptop up from Hibernation. Just break the damn switch off.

wst50, OHHH KAYYY. :)

I just use the term Wake Up because essentially hibernation is "Deep Sleep Mode". Maybe I should say turn on from hibernation? Anyway, y'all got the point.

raskren,

I agree with that, but I cannot break it off. The little tab you see is holding the monitor down when it is closed. Sure there is another one, but that will be my last resolution. That little tab is pushing another tab on the laptop that is acting as switch/sensor.

This damned laptop. Yes, I just confirmed it once again. When I put it in hibernation, after I close the lid, just about 1 minute later when I open the lid, it turns on and starts "restoring" from hibernation. :x

Maybe you could find something small enough to fit between the catch and the switch so that when the thing moves theres still enough pressure on the switch to keep it engaged??

phaps a folded up bit of paper or something.

Does it do it if you shut the computer off? I don't see how it could do it from Hibernation, but not from the off state.

No, It doesn't do it when it is completely off.

Like I said, after I put it in hibernation and close the lid, If the lid is opened after a few minutes it turns back on from Hibernation state.

Contacting Toshiba? It has been a while since I got this Laptop, I think it will be $ per minute charge if I call them for support.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I know that this thread is basically dead. However, I would like to post that I have solved this problem that you are having.

I, myself, have a Toshiba Satellite that suffers from the same problem. The lid, whenever it receives the slightest pressure, seems to think that lid is being opened. This forced me to shut down and start up every time I took the god forsaken thing somewhere. And starting up takes about 2 minutes.

THE SOLUTION:

AFTER you hibernate, whether by lid closing or pressing the power button, simply remove the battery, and reattach it. When the battery is disconnected, it seems to turn the lid switch completely off. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after you've hibernated, and opening the lid. It works fine for me.

IF it doesn't work quite the same way on yours as it does on mine, then try removing the battery for the duration of your trip. There's one absolute: Your laptop cannot be on if the battery is not connected, unless connected to an outlet.

*Just make sure* that you do not accidentally get too hasty and disconnect the battery before it's finished powering down. I've never tested what happens when your computer loses power in the middle of hibernating, but I doubt it would be pretty. =) It seems like a no-brainer, but it's easier to make this mistake than you think.

• 2 months later...

This is another late addition post, but this thread helped me fix my laptop after many hours of struggle so I wanted to post what did it for me:

Even when the power setting is disabled, the lid switch down and to the left of the touchpad controls the laptop screen, as someone mentioned earlier. The problem I was having was shutting the lid of my laptop, having it hibernate, but then coming back out of hibernation with a blank screen. I'd also sometimes see a bit of flicker from a black unlit screen to a black lit screen, as though it couldn't decide what it wanted to do.

After reading the thread I realized that the lid switch is apt to getting gunked up quite a bit, as it's right in the open. 2-3 years of use will add up: and so when I put the lid down, the switch would depress, but when I pulled the lid back up sometimes the switch would stick with all the garbage in there, and not come up again. Cleaning it out thoroughly seemed to do the trick. (Note that the little tab that fits in the hole may also be gunked and need some cleaning to work properly.)

You can test that it works properly by disabling any hibernation or standby for the lid in the power settings, and then using a pen to depress the switch and let off it. The screen should turn off and then back on without any problems. If it sticks and doesn't come back on some of the time, you have some more cleaning to do.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.