• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

W98 and W2k Dual Boot

Franko    0

Hi,

I installed W98 and after that I installed Windows 2000.

But now I cant boot in w98!, when I choose to boot windows98 the menu appears again.

I would like to know how to fix this problem and booy w98, without installing all over again.

Thanx

SilentBob    0

Hi there there are two ways of extracting yourself out of your current predicament,,First one is to go into W2k and then use Disk Admin(or whatever it is called now) find the disk or partition that your copy of Win98 is on and mark that partion as the active one,,it should then boot into Win98 instead of Win2K,,,other than that you should have installed Win2k first and then Win98 which allows you to boot into one or the other usuing the boot menu at the start for some reason it does'nt work the other way around (Win98 first then Win2k),,,Hope this helps you out

WyllyWylly    0

Can you post the BOOT.INI file that you have on your machine? If you installed 98 OK, it should look something like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WIN2000

[operating systems]

C:="Microsoft Windows"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WIN2000="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

Ugly, hell yeah. Anyway you could re-run 98 setup if that doesn't work, and to get into 2000 after that you need to run the Windows 2000 repair process, because 98's setup will overwrite the boot sector on your HD.

Before you do any of these things make sure you create a repair disk!!!!

Franko    0

I think that is the way WyllyWylly, Thanx!!

I have this in my Boot.ini

When I choose windows 98, the menu appears again.

Thanx for reply!!

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

C:="Microsoft Windows 98"

CtotheJ    0

Try making a backup of your boot.ini file, and then changing your last line from:

C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98"

Steven    80

did you convert your C Drive to NTFS During the install? if you did, thats why Windows 98 is Poof.

Joswin    25

I think thats most likley the case as he got the installations the right way around. W2k should have gone on last as he did.

Joel    27
other than that you should have installed Win2k first and then Win98 which allows you to boot into one or the other usuing the boot menu at the start for some reason it does'nt work the other way around (Win98 first then Win2k),,,Hope this helps you out

That is totally wrong, you have to install Win9x before 2000 or XP, oldest to newest for dual-boot systems is the rule.

CtotheJ    0

I wonder how long till someone realizes I just went to the last page and replied to the oldest thing I could...

Joswin    25

Aha, thought i had a Da Ja Vu on this thread topic lol.