The plot thickens - 40GB PS3 found on Play.com

As if we needed further confirmation that the 40GB PS3 is on its way Play.com are listing such a creature on their website. Though it is not yet available, and has no price attached to it, there is a sign up sheet where you can express interest by submitting your email address. The listing says that the 40GB PS3 will lack any backwards compatibility and will have only two USB ports. We're curious that there is no mention of the memory card readers as we would have suspected those to be the first to go, before the USB ports.

The biggest piece of information to come out of this (other than an all-out confirmation that the 40GB is going to happen) is that Europe (or, at least, the UK) will be getting a slice of the 40GB pie. This is great news considering David Reeves, president of SCEE, has stated that a price cut will not be happening this year in European territories, instead opting to produce "value added bundles" like the starter pack. How much the 40GB will cost in Europe is still a mystery, though a ?299 price point has been kicking around recently.

With the new PS3 SKU all but confirmed, we're anxious to see what Sony's "big bang" announcement will be later this month. If retailers are already advertising for the device on their site then Sony are going to have to reveal a little more than we already know to truly impress us. We'll see what happens when the twelfth swings around.

[Thanks Daniel!]

Source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/10/02/the-pl...nd-on-play-com/

oh yeah:))

Why do you think it would have no backwards compatilbility if its being done by software now? :iiam:

^Odd isn't it, it keeps popping up.

Do these people not realise its software based, or are they simply trying to reinstate that the PS2 parts aren't in there any more, which have been gone since the 60gb left us.

How many different models are they going to come out with? noexpression.gif

I suppose they can come out with quite a few as long as they don't have every single one on sale at the same time, which would just be confusing for consumers.

So it was 20GB+60GB, then 60GB, then 60GB+80GB, at the moment 80GB and if all this news is true 40GB+80GB.

If only they would make up their mind, now a slim version wouldn't go a miss.

How many different models are they going to come out with? :|

Not as many as the 360 :rofl:

The only differences are really hard drive upgrades/downgrades.

Even although you can upgrade your drive yourself a lot of consumers may not know this to start off with.

a $399 PS3 is a step in the right direction :yes:

Not as many as the 360 :rofl:

Nice, except the 360 only has 3 models. They've had revisions, but only three models total. I think this 40GB will bring the PS3 model count to 4.

Nice, except the 360 only has 3 models. They've had revisions, but only three models total. I think this 40GB will bring the PS3 model count to 4.

well no... it does have 4 models but 2 were scrapped not not made :p

Core, Premium, Elite, Halo 360, Simpsons 360

As for revisions of those - Standard, HDMI

Also, hardware revisions - Standard, Falcon (that all?)

For Sale - Everything apart from Simpsons 360. Core still has no HDMI - ANOTHER possible revision to come?

PS3

Cheapo (no Wifi/card reader) - discontinued, Standard

20GB - discontinued, 60GB, 80GB, 40GB (rumoured)

For Sale - Standard 60GB, 80GB - 40GB RUMOURED to be coming.

At the moment then on the market EVERY PS3 is identical apart from hard drive size.

The 360 has multiple configurations - hard drive size, console features, ALL on the market.

I'm sorry but i'd say the 360 has had more done - From the looks of things as well the RROD may not even be fixed fully yet. MORE revisions to come? Time will tell.

well no... it does have 4 models but 2 were scrapped not not made :p

They were made at one point.

I'm not saying it's a big deal and I'm not trying to start an argument, I was simply wondering how many times they're going to introduce new models. Heck, I wasn't even the one to compare it to the 360, and I think it's pretty stupid to assume that I was simply because I have my Gamercard in my sig.

I do agree however that a $399 PS3 is definitely moving in the right direction.

Edited by gigapixels

So does it have software BC or none at all?

I suppose we don't know yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't if it truly is in the software, it wouldn't make any sense to not have it in there. :s

it will have BC. it will most likely be software BC.

I am surprised people are complaining that it supposedly wont have BC now. Before all you heard is we dont need BC why is Sony including it! Now its "it doesnt have BC the PS3 suxors!"

Cant please them all I guess lol

it will have BC. it will most likely be software BC.

I am surprised people are complaining that it supposedly wont have BC now. Before all you heard is we dont need BC why is Sony including it! Now its "it doesnt have BC the PS3 suxors!"

Cant please them all I guess lol

Who said that? :huh:

If this is true, they are going to want to get this out ASAP. People are already doing thier Christmas shopping, and with the release of Halo 3, 360's are flying off the shelves. The Costco I work at sold out of all SKU's we carry (Pro, Elite, and Halo 3 Edition). Meanwhile we have a huge pile of PS3's just sitting there. PS3 is in desperate need of an immediate pricew drop, or it's going to get steamrolled by the 360 this Christmas.

So does it have software BC or none at all?

By the fact that is says no BC it must mean how it does not have the PS2 chip in it. The current ones on the market (80GB Playstation 3) also don't have that chip but still have pretty good PS1 and PS2 support though emulation. Sony has already writen the code for emulation it would be stupid not to have it included in the system. My guess is it will be a 40GB version of the 80GB just with 2 less USB ports. Everyone saying it won't have USB ports is wrong because

a) It needs them to charge

b) When the model got approved it was documented that it had USB ports

By the fact that is says no BC it must mean how it does not have the PS2 chip in it. The current ones on the market (80GB Playstation 3) also don't have that chip but still have pretty good PS1 and PS2 support though emulation. Sony has already writen the code for emulation it would be stupid not to have it included in the system. My guess is it will be a 40GB version of the 80GB just with 2 less USB ports. Everyone saying it won't have USB ports is wrong because

a) It needs them to charge

b) When the model got approved it was documented that it had USB ports

I would think it would be easy to include BC but it's just strange that the article makes a point of italicizing this

The listing says that the 40GB PS3 will lack any backwards compatibility

Why do you think it would have no backwards compatilbility if its being done by software now?

You guys are forgetting that it's not all done by software. The GPU of the PS2 is still in there, they only removed the CPU in previous models. So it's still a hardware/software hybrid, hence the fairly high backwards compatibility. So they probably got rid of the PS2 GPU with this model.

PS1 emulation should not be affected though, since that's all done through software.

You guys are forgetting that it's not all done by software. The GPU of the PS2 is still in there, they only removed the CPU in previous models. So it's still a hardware/software hybrid, hence the fairly high backwards compatibility. So they probably got rid of the PS2 GPU with this model.

PS1 emulation should not be affected though, since that's all done through software.

Hmmm... will that be a dealbreaker with people? I know I always wanted to pick up God of War if I got a PS3... and a big argument deflecting the lack of games currently is the huge back library available...

i think i understand it know. its more of a they-dont-WANT-to-put-BC rather than a they-CANT-put-BC.

you see my totally removing the software from the PS3, its not like they are going to have to do a revision of the motherboard, since its only software. But by removing the BC, they would give core functionality to everyone, and make it a 'feature' so if you have a large library you would step up to the bad boys (80gb). But for existing 360 owners this might be a good deal.

I actually made a counter argument a couple of days ago, why they would NOT remove BC, but this idea just hit me as well.

I reaaaally doubt BC will be removed.

It's always something Sony has rambled on about each PS release. They know it will cause an uproar and NOT give them good press at all - Theres no way to put a positive spin on removing BC.

The main thing they want to do right now is tempt current PS1/2 owners to jump ship to the PS3. REMOVING BC is not going to get those PS1/2 gamers over at all. Price is one of the main things preventing many from jumping ship. That and a poor lineup of games.

By removing, or lessening the price problem I seriously doubt Sony want to add a NEW reason not to change over to the PS3 by taking away BC.

Personally I'd rather a cheaper price than BC. But you could basically buy a 40GB PS3 and a PS2 for the price of the 60GB (or 80GB which they'll probably drop to $500).

Why do you think it would have no backwards compatilbility if its being done by software now? :iiam:

I didn't read the thread very carefully so hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned, but here goes:

20GB/60GB NTSC PS3s had the EE+GS (full hardware BC).

60GB PAL / 80GB NTSC have only the GS, but software emulation replacing the EE.

40GB NTSC PS3 appears to lack both the EE and the GS, hence no software BC.

My assumption is that if it ever gains any form of software BC, it will be on par with the 360 BC. But I kind of doubt that Sony will bother doing that. BC was important to me, even though I never really use it on my PS2 or Wii, so I don't know why I care so much about it. Just in case I ever want to replay Okami or something and can't find one of my 3 PS2s (one broke (dog incident) but was fixed by my roommate after I bought a PSTwo, the second was just left here by my brother's friend who didn't want it anymore, and the third is ofcourse my PSTwo). Amazingly I have found myself using the card readers, which I thought I would never touch, lol.

I didn't read the thread very carefully so hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned, but here goes:

20GB/60GB NTSC PS3s had the EE+GS (full hardware BC).

60GB PAL / 80GB NTSC have only the GS, but software emulation replacing the EE.

40GB NTSC PS3 appears to lack both the EE and the GS, hence no software BC.

My assumption is that if it ever gains any form of software BC, it will be on par with the 360 BC. But I kind of doubt that Sony will bother doing that. BC was important to me, even though I never really use it on my PS2 or Wii, so I don't know why I care so much about it. Just in case I ever want to replay Okami or something and can't find one of my 3 PS2s (one broke (dog incident) but was fixed by my roommate after I bought a PSTwo, the second was just left here by my brother's friend who didn't want it anymore, and the third is ofcourse my PSTwo). Amazingly I have found myself using the card readers, which I thought I would never touch, lol.

Correct. I just wanted to add that PSone gameplay is achieved on the PS3 entirely through software emulation (with the PS2, Sony included the entire PSone chipset on the motherboard, which is still the way the PS2 is built today). So, Sony could technically include backwards compatibility with PSone titles, but I don't think that they would. The average joe that walks into a Walmart just wouldn't understand why the PlayStation 3 can play PSone games but not PS2 titles. Hence, Sony will just nix backwards compatiblity altogether.

However, Sony may add it back later on. See, Sony does not want to keep including the PS2's GPU chipset on the PS3 forever. It is just an unnecessary cost. The Cell Broadband Engine, even though everyone likes to knock it, is indeed very powerful. It could definitely emulate all PS2 functions (CPU and GPU) if you invested enough time into software emulation. The millions that Sony wold need to achieve this would still be worth the even more of millions they will save later on by not including PS2 chips on the PlayStation 3 (since, eventually, even the PS3 will retail for $99).