Official: New 40GB PS3 at

London, 5 October 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced details of its exciting new PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) model that will launch throughout the SCEE territories on 10th October 2007 at the highly attractive price of ?399.

Providing an incredibly appealing entry point to the world of High Definition gaming and entertainment for the holiday season, the new PS3 brings the next generation of interactive home entertainment to homes all across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Australasia.

Along with an ever expanding line-up of PS3 titles (a total of 65 titles tracking across all genres by Christmas), the new PS3 is equipped with a 40GB HDD and includes all the features central to the High Definition entertainment experience; true next generation gameplay, stunning High Definition Blu-ray Disc? movies, SIXAXIS? wireless controller, Wi-Fi and HDMI connectivity, all powered by the Cell Broadband Engine?, the digital heart of PS3.

As with the 60GB PS3, the new PS3 features upgradeable firmware allowing new features and functionality to be added to the system as time progresses. A recent firmware update, for example, enabled PS3 to upscale DVD?s played on the system to full 1080P High Definition.

The introduction of the new PS3 has been determined following user feedback from thousands of existing PS3 owners as well as research into future potential PS3 owners. The new model features two USB 2.0 ports rather than four and no longer includes the multi memory card port.

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation?2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

The existing Starter Pack*, comprising a 60GB PS3 with extensive backwards compatibility, an additional SIXAXIS wireless controller and two first party titles will be reduced in price to ?499. Remaining on sale while stocks last, the 60GB model represents outstanding value for the keen gamer wishing to upgrade to the High Definition capabilities of PS3.

?The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners,? said David Reeves, President of SCEE. ?It has allowed us to deliver an extremely advanced, yet incredibly affordable High Definition gaming and entertainment system, configured to the needs of the next generation of European PS3 owners. PS3 has always been the device of choice for the discerning gamer and entertainment seeker, and the new PS3 is more than ever the perfect High Definition entertainment system.

*In the UK and Ireland, the Starter Pack will be replaced by a separate in-store promotion on the 60GB PS3.

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...?ReleaseID=4434

Looks like its not backwards compatible then.

And it was all going so well too, a cheap PS3 version would of really helped, but taking away the backwards compatibility is like a kick in the balls.

And it was all going so well too, a cheap PS3 version would of really helped, but taking away the backwards compatibility is like a kick in the balls.

meh, I think I've played 2 PS1 games on my PS2, and one xbox game on my 360 (halo 2). Its not that a big a deal IMO.

+1

No software back-compat even? Can't Sony do anything right? Assuming the US gets the same thing, there goes one of the main reasons I'd buy one. Now it's just a mediocre BluRay player that might play games someday.

No software back-compat even? Can't Sony do anything right? Assuming the US gets the same thing, there goes one of the main reasons I'd buy one. Now it's just a mediocre BluRay player that might play games someday.

i still has PS1 BC.

Just buy the 60GB or 80GB version then :rolleyes:

Man people complain Sony doesn't give the consumer a choice and when they do they still complain lol

Assuming the US gets the same thing, there goes one of the main reasons I'd buy one. Now it's just a mediocre BluRay player that might play games someday.

80GB still has PS2 BC if it's that important. Also the image quality for Blu-ray playback is amoung the best on the market. Anyway, UK prices have been announced:

London, 5 October 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment UK (SCEUK) today announced details of two new PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) packs that will be launched on 10th October 2The existing PS3 Starter Pack will be replaced by a 60GB value pack at a price of ?349. Additionally, a new 40GB entry level PS3 model will be introduced at ?299.99.

Here's the difference between the 2 models:

2psoexk.jpg

This will sell well regardless of no BC.

If you genuinely need BC, either use your PS2 like I do, or muster up the extra ?50 for the 60GB console. For an extra ?50 you are getting 20GB extra, more USB ports/Card reader, BC, Extra controller and 2 games. It's far better value for money.

At the same time it's not a good move to remove BC, bringing out a PS3 at ?300 is a good move.

The vanilla Elite retails at ?300 in the UK, with bundles usually ranging up to anywhere about ?350. This will make Christmas a lot more interesting!

Edited by Audioboxer

This will sell well regardless of no BC.

If you genuinely need BC, either use your PS2 like I do, or muster up the extra ?50 for the 60GB console. For an extra ?50 you are getting 20GB extra, more USB ports/Card reader, BC, Extra controller and 2 games. It's far better value for money.

At the same time it's not a good move to remove BC, bringing out a PS3 at ?300 is a good move.

The vanilla Elite retails at ?300 in the UK, with bundles usually ranging up to anywhere about ?350. This will make Christmas a lot more interesting!

You realize your argument would be the same if you replace 40Gb with Core and 60Gb with Premium ri:rolleyes:eyes: So let me reply to you: "There's no need for the 40Gb version. Everyone should save up and buy the 60Gb or 80Gb version. Sony is stupid for offering it!"

You realize your argument would be the same if you replace 40Gb with Core and 60Gb with Premium right? :rolleyes: So let me reply to you: "There's no need for the 40Gb version. Everyone should save up and buy the 60Gb or 80Gb version. Sony is stupid for offering it!"

Not really as the Core lacks elements needed for this generation (HDMI, Hard drive). The 40GB PS3 lacks elements needed to play last generation titles.

The 40GB PS3 can play all the PS3 titles out the box with no addons necessary. Wireless is intact as well for gamers who can't run cables to their PS3.

The 40GB console would actually have suited me fine as I can upgrade the drive in it myself, and personally don't need BC as I still have my PS2 hooked up to my TV.

The 60GB is better value though as you get a controller, and 2 games inside - That totals more than the difference of ?50. BC is down to whether you need it or not which console you go for.

The 60GB is better value though as you get a controller, and 2 games inside - That totals more than the difference of ?50. BC is down to whether you need it or not which console you go for.

Yeah, the 60GB is better value, which means that Sony is stupid for making the 40GB so expensive!

Yeah, the 60GB is better value, which means that Sony is stupid for making the 40GB so expensive!

?300 is quite the drop from the ?425 previously.

When you buy vanilla without any extras you will always loose out to bundle deals that are there to encourage you to spend more.

I don't think anyone could of speculated Sony going under the 300 mark at this point.

For example

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/product.asp?id=man061

Elite is ?300.

Elite with 3 games is ?350.

Whats the best financial deal? The bundle obviously. But that doesn't mean people won't buy the vanilla Elite.

Not really as the Core lacks elements needed for this generation (HDMI, Hard drive). The 40GB PS3 lacks elements needed to play last generation titles.
The 40GB PS3 can play all the PS3 titles out the box with no addons necessary.

Sorry but :laugh:

I can't believe they actually took out BC. Where's that quote on the 100% BC from day one when you need it :rofl: Can't the Core 360 play games then out of the box? :laugh:

Sorry but :laugh:

I can't believe they actually took out BC. Where's that quote on the 100% BC from day one when you need it :rofl: Can't the Core 360 play games then out of the box? :laugh:

You may laugh but consumers who are interested in the PS3 won't be :whistle:

Yes Core 360 players can. I was pointing out how Ironman273's comparison wasn't 100% correct though. The 40GB PS3 can't be compared to the Core.

As the Core may need addons bought for it to do things you can do this generation, the 40GB PS3 needs nothing bought for it full stop.

You may laugh but consumers who are interested in the PS3 won't be :whistle:

I'm laughing because you actually believe that you need HDMI this generation. Myself, and about 10 million + others, seem to be getting on just fine without it.

I suppose you'll come out with how dual hdmi and 1080p output is essential too next :p

Fack the PS2.. No joke, seriously.. If i wanted to play PS2 games, well.. i don't

Yeah well you dont speak for the tens of thousands if not more people who might want to play PS2 games theyve wanted to but not had a PS2 to do it.

I'm laughing because you actually believe that you need HDMI this generation. Myself, and about 10 million + others, seem to be getting on just fine without it.

I suppose you'll come out with how dual hdmi and 1080p output is essential too next :p

Ok you may not need it but its the optimal output for image/audio this generation. The Core is the only model missing it. MS clearly felt the need to update the other models to include HDMI for a reason :whistle:

Is Component not analog and HDMI digital?

Also 1080p is not essential, but why laugh at it when you can play at that resolution? It's not a negative thing at all to see games successfully operating at 1080p.

Yeah well you dont speak for the tens of thousands if not more people who might want to play PS2 games theyve wanted to but not had a PS2 to do it.

The PS2 is hell of a cheap nowadays, so thats an option.

With the choices Sony have made in regards to the PS3, they will need to buy the 60GB model.

At least it has seen a price cut down to ?350 from ?425.

The PS2 is hell of a cheap nowadays, so thats an option.

With the choices Sony have made in regards to the PS3, they will need to buy the 60GB model.

At least it has seen a price cut down to ?350 from ?425.

Its a good incentive though, no need to buy another console as well as PS3, can just play them direct on the PS3.