Official: New 40GB PS3 at

But it's not the same. 60GB/80GB have the PS2 GPU, the 40GB doesn't. They would need to write an entire new emulator for the GS to get BC to work on the 40GB.

In europe, the only model available to this date was the 60GB without the PS2 gpu (emotion egine?). And the 80GB sold in america doesn't have the hardware BC as far as I'm concerned.

That is not true. The PS2 GPU is still in there. Sony have said it themselves:

Direct from Sony. You can't get more confirmation than that.

The PS3 doesn't have the emotion engine, and it's BC is lacking when compared to the PS3s that have it

In europe, the only model available to this date was the 60GB without the PS2 gpu (emotion egine?). And the 80GB sold in america doesn't have the hardware BC as far as I'm concerned.

The PS3 doesn't have the emotion engine, and it's BC is lacking when compared to the PS3s that have it

where are you getting your info from ?

You're getting it mixed up. Emotion Engine is the CPU. I never said anything about that. That was indeed taken out in the 80GB model and the European 60GB. The GPU is still there however. That is how they maintained a fairly high BC rate (~70%), since only the CPU was being emulated.

Think of the missing BC as giving the user choice - and not forcing it on them :rofl: :laugh:

i just find it funny that sony had a bash at MS for not making the 360 Backwards compatible to begin with and now Sony have brought out a model which does not have BC. If you really do want to compare then Elite, Premium and Core have BC. And the thing about core not having HDMI is reduculous, give it till christmas or Q1 2008 You will see a core with a HDMI port.

You can argue though is all about choice, personally im wating for the 60GB Version to drop below ?300 now, i would have got 40GB version but i would really want BC. I only have so many inputs in my 1080p TV. All the scart sockets are in use. Component is in use and i have 2 HDMI let. So PS2 is out of the equation for me.

If BC is software based maybe the folks @ Noobz can pull some strings on this one oh lets say a custom firmware?

A good addition but there's allot of good games for the PS2 and I don't even own one.

If BC is software based maybe the folks @ Noobz can pull some strings on this one oh lets say a custom firmware?

A good addition but there's allot of good games for the PS2 and I don't even own one.

i would love it, but they only develope for PSP and i have yet to see them talk about a PS3 or PS3 development, Mind you any PS3 development has been slow or a few breakthroughs have been proven to be fake. :(

If you really do want to compare then Elite, Premium and Core have BC.

You need to buy the extra HDD if you want to use Core for BC though. You can't play Xbox 1 games with a memory card.

The point is that the option is there, though.

For $100 more, the option is everywhere. :p

Also, did you read my post on why the 40GB PS3 doesn't have it? It's not just a matter of taking out software, it's missing the GPU as well. There could be a chance they'll get a fully software emulator running in the future, but they probably won't want to spend resources on creating it.

It doesn't really matter why it's not there, it's a bad move by Sony not to include it, or even the option to upgrade to it.

Now they've got how many SKU's for the PS3? It's no wonder it's so expensive, if only they made ONE base system and gave you varying amounts of HDD space and peripherals, rather like the 360.

Yes, but what about all of the different ones released worldwide? We've had 20, 40, 60 and 80Gb models so far and Sony seems happy to continue making more.

i would love it, but they only develope for PSP and i have yet to see them talk about a PS3 or PS3 development, Mind you any PS3 development has been slow or a few breakthroughs have been proven to be fake. :(

I don't think it should be any different.. We should give it time in any case.. sooner or later

Good things are usually kept quiet during the development process. Remember Windows Longhorn?

For $100 more, the option is everywhere. :p

Also, did you read my post on why the 40GB PS3 doesn't have it? It's not just a matter of taking out software, it's missing the GPU as well. There could be a chance they'll get a fully software emulator running in the future, but they probably won't want to spend resources on creating it.

60GB version in PAL territories does not have the EE(Emotion Engine) its all done with software anyway.

As for the option being everywhere for $100 well in the UK its like ?94.99 Brand new, and thats a rip off! Also i used to own one but sold it for an xbox. Now i have a 360 and a 1080p TV i would love to get the PS3 however i have a few ps2 games left over that i would like to play. All my TV inputs (scart, component and VGA) are in use, only have 2 free ones and they are 2 HDMI. 1 For the PS3, maybe one for the Elite in future (id rather get an elite and take the current 360 off the component and have my Wii on a component). So getting an extra console just for BC is out of the picture for me. I forgot to mention the composite connection is also in use lol.

Yes, but what about all of the different ones released worldwide? We've had 20, 40, 60 and 80Gb models so far and Sony seems happy to continue making more.

But they only make 2 SKUs at a time. Look at Microsoft, they have 3 SKUs out (Not even including the Halo/HDMI/Arcade versions) at the same time. Is it really that bad though if people find value at the different price points?

60GB version in PAL territories does not have the EE(Emotion Engine) its all done with software anyway.

...I never said it did. The Emotion Engine is not the GPU now is it? The Graphics Synthesizer is in all PS2s except this 40GB though. It was confirmed by Sony themselves. Current BC for PAL60GB/80GB is a software/hardware hybrid.

Also you can get cable switchers for the TV so you can switch between multiple sources on the one input.

But they only make 2 SKUs at a time. Look at Microsoft, they have 3 SKUs out (Not even including the Halo/HDMI/Arcade versions) at the same time. Is it really that bad though if people find value at the different price points?

Microsoft may have 3 SKU's, but they all use the same core system (the Elite is a different shell but internally it's now identical to the new premiums and soon the cores will follow. Likewise, when it was just the Core and Premium, they shared the same system). You just got more stuff in the Premium's box.

But Sony's various PS3's have all had different system bases, requiring a separate production line for each one. If they just built ONE main system, they'd be able to greatly reduce the cost of production.

Microsoft may have 3 SKU's, but they all use the same core system (the Elite is a different shell but internally it's now identical to the new premiums and soon the cores will follow. Likewise, when it was just the Core and Premium, they shared the same system). You just got more stuff in the Premium's box.

But Sony's various PS3's have all had different system bases, requiring a separate production line for each one. If they just built ONE main system, they'd be able to greatly reduce the cost of production.

That's actually what they'll be doing with the 40GB apparently, at least for Europe, it will be the only model in production. The other regions will probably follow suit sooner or later.

Holy ****! With no BC and an even smaller hard drive, they're still charging $399? I don't think Sony has its head on straight. Do they want to be taken serious this generation? The 360 has already dropped prices below this once and created a better entry level model, not a worse one.