• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can I get S-video to display through component on my receiver?

deck    34

This is probably a futile quest, given that I've already read the answer in the manual -- but I was hoping *maybe* there is a way.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5750 receiver.

Today I decided to rewire everything to get all my devices running through the receiver properly (whereas before it was sort of make-shift and without sense).

I have my GameCube and my PS2 connected to the two available component inputs. The single component out connects to my TV.

My cable box I usually connect to my TV via S-Video. I wanted to connect the S-video to my receiver and have only the component wires connected to my TV (I guess that means I wanted to up-convert the signal?)

In any case, I found that I can't have the lower end inputs display on my TV via the component out. Only the S-video and composite out works. I was hoping, just hoping, there was another way around.

Also, if it's a matter of the age of my receiver (a couple of years old), would a newer receiver up-convert the inputs? IE: I get a fancy HDTV with HDMI and want everything running through that single HDMI?

uniacidz    8

No to your answer.

You cannot upconvert a analog signal to a component signal.

However new Yamaha Amps can do it.

http://www.crutchfieldenespanol.com/crutch...b=detailed_info

Video Conversion: Video conversion allows analog video signals from composite, S-video, and component video sources to be output as digital video signals through the HDMI output. In addition, component video signals can be output as S-video or composite signals, S-video signals can be output as composite or component video signals, and composite video signals can be output as S-video or component video signals. You cannot convert HDMI input signals to any other type of signal.

deck    34

What i thought. :)

Guess that means I'm buying a new receiver when I buy my fancy new 40+ in HDTV... in 6 months or later..hah