• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Keep Neowin work safe

Steven P.    13,920

Lately we have been going down a road that I'd rather not take by being especially lenient about the types of topics that are started in the members only areas of the site.

Because we have the Latest Forum activity ticker at the top, now these threads are showing up for people at work, in school and could ultimately result in Neowin facing more blacklisting at schools and the work place.

Lets not forget that Neowin is still a tech site and although we cater to almost every members wishes for discussion, I expect that Neowin remains work safe for guests but lately not so for members. Granted most of those forums and topics are hidden for guests.

I have requested that our rather large group of Subscribers start less work-safe discussions in their own area and this will be our new policy from now on. I do not want to see non-work-safe discussions outside of the subscriber forums. People who wish to participate in off topic discussions such as these will have to subscribe, it's only $12.50 a year and you support Neowin, our direction and help maintain the quality for everyone else by doing so.

I want to stress that by subscribing, this is not the only or even intended perk. There are areas for Subscriber support, own discussion areas where we allow a little more than the general public and members may post (because it poses no risk to potential sign-ups or the quality for guests and members at face value) and of course several enhancement features to the forums such as extended PM storage, no flood control and larger upload capacity, as well as an own blog on Neowin.

I also want to mention that this has been an ongoing discussion in our staff areas and not a knee jerk reaction. Rather than removing all of the member only forums I think we should realise and request that members have a big part to play in keeping Neowin work safe and the quality reasonably high.

Again I want to thank you for your continued support, without you Neowin would not be where it is today, my request is lets keep Neowin great rather than continue on a steady decline.

+Audioboxer    2,876

I agree.

Neowin currently works in my work (they block a LOT, trust me), and I want it to stay that way! :D

* On that note I've become a subscriber :)

Edited by Audioboxer

+Human.Online    8,450

Would it be a suggestion to indicate (not explicitly) what the moderators feel constitutes "work safe"? I have in my mind a good idea, but that may differ from user to user.

With the many different nationalities, age ranges and so on - and some people taking more open attitudes, "work safe" has many meanings.

Personally, I'd not consider "My girlfriend dumped me" threads to be "work safe", as I would not feel happy with my boss seeing that on my screen. But this is just my feeling.

Just a thought :)

Panacik    27
Lately we have been going down a road that I'd rather not take by being especially lenient about the types of topics that are started in the members only areas of the site.

Because we have the Latest Forum activity ticker at the top, now these threads are showing up for people at work, in school and could ultimately result in Neowin facing more blacklisting at schools and the work place.

Lets not forget that Neowin is still a tech site and although we cater to almost every members wishes for discussion, I expect that Neowin remains work safe for guests but lately not so for members. Granted most of those forums and topics are hidden for guests.

I have requested that our rather large group of Subscribers start less work-safe discussions in their own area and this will be our new policy from now on. I do not want to see non-work-safe discussions outside of the subscriber forums. People who wish to participate in off topic discussions such as these will have to subscribe, it's only $12.50 a year and you support Neowin, our direction and help maintain the quality for everyone else by doing so.

I want to stress that by subscribing, this is not the only or even intended perk. There are areas for Subscriber support, own discussion areas where we allow a little more than the general public and members may post (because it poses no risk to potential sign-ups or the quality for guests and members at face value) and of course several enhancement features to the forums such as extended PM storage, no flood control and larger upload capacity, as well as an own blog on Neowin.

I also want to mention that this has been an ongoing discussion in our staff areas and not a knee jerk reaction. Rather than removing all of the member only forums I think we should realise and request that members have a big part to play in keeping Neowin work safe and the quality reasonably high.

Again I want to thank you for your continued support, without you Neowin would not be where it is today, my request is lets keep Neowin great rather than continue on a steady decline.

Wow, i posted about this in te other forum and here is the thread i was thinking of! Great work NB!

I of all people never thought i would see myself type this, but maybe stricter modderation of less quality threads is needed and more of the respectfull members need to be proacktive about using the report feature and pointing out the rules to n00bs who slip up a little.

I dont mean act like a mini mod, but just be helpfull in steering people in the right direction and dont get involved in flame wars and member victimisation (as i myself have done in the past).

Barney T.    2,332

I'd also like to add that this decision was given a long and thorough evaluation by our staff. I feel that it is the right move.

Good job, Neobond! :cool:

Panacik    27
Would it be a suggestion to indicate (not explicitly) what the moderators feel constitutes "work safe"? I have in my mind a good idea, but that may differ from user to user.

With the many different nationalities, age ranges and so on - and some people taking more open attitudes, "work safe" has many meanings.

Personally, I'd not consider "My girlfriend dumped me" threads to be "work safe", as I would not feel happy with my boss seeing that on my screen. But this is just my feeling.

Just a thought :)

See, i would say that kind of thread is work safe becuase it does not contain questionable material.

Being ethically correct to view that at work is another matter however. I mean its safe because its not got dodgy material, but not correct to view something non work related at work.

However, i agree there is a HUGE influx of posts like that lately which are full of the same things. So to some degree maybe we shouldnt allow posts to be made when the material to assist people is already out there in the forums.

Steven P.    13,920

We can disable the Member Metropolis threads from being shown in the latest activity monitor? I'm sure that would help us in the short term.. Most of the threads started there aren't that interesting for me but it would require members to actually check the forum again rather than seeing it in the list.

Currently the activity monitor displays threads based on your individual permissions, there are no restrictions on which forums are displayed there.

Panacik    27
We can disable the Member Metropolis threads from being shown in the latest activity monitor? I'm sure that would help us in the short term.. Most of the threads started there aren't that interesting for me but it would require members to actually check the forum again rather than seeing it in the list.

Currently the activity monitor displays threads based on your individual permissions, there are no restrictions on which forums are displayed there.

May i suggest you keep the threads displayed on there only from the strictly Neowin related areas. I mean keep it to the News and tech sections and not the more "off topic" areas.

Maybe try to bring Neowin back to a more techy place as it seems to have moved in to a more general post forum.

Nashy    1,661

So will warnings follow, or can we have a list of what constitues work safe

Steven P.    13,920

As a subscriber Nashy you shouldn't have a problem deciding whether the topic is work-safe or not. You already have a choice to post it in the Subscriber area (which already falls short on daily discussion) or in the general areas for members.

It just takes a bit of common sense, think to yourself if your topic would be accepted in the work place or not?

Tzimisce    0

Yes, i read neowin daily first period my senior year in highschool, and im surprised they havent blocked it as just about any site they dont deem edumacational is blocked. Im glad i can still access it from the schools servers now when i do work in their tech lab. I also plan on becomming a subscriber my next paycheck =] (and when i get my paypal working again mebe)

Panacik    27
So will warnings follow, or can we have a list of what constitues work safe

I dont know why people want an explination of what constitutes as work safe. No offence, but if you dont feel its safe for work personally... dont post it. If you see something you feel is not work safe... report it.

To be honest im sure a lot of it is common sense and the more senior, long term, faithfull and mature members need to assist mods as well by reporting threads and advising people when they are slipping out of line. Not acting like a mini mod, but just helping with friendly advice.

If someone starts flaming us for helping, then be the bigger person and ignore it. Once you advise someone, thats it. They step out of line again, let the mods deal with it.

As a subscriber Nashy you shouldn't have a problem deciding whether the topic is work-safe or not. You already have a choice to post it in the Subscriber area (which already falls short on daily discussion) or in the general areas for members.

It just takes a bit of common sense, think to yourself if your topic would be accepted in the work place or not?

Precisely.

Yes, i read neowin daily first period my senior year in highschool, and im surprised they havent blocked it as just about any site they dont deem edumacational is blocked. Im glad i can still access it from the schools servers now when i do work in their tech lab. I also plan on becomming a subscriber my next paycheck =] (and when i get my paypal working again mebe)

Well Neowin is suppose to be a great site for learning new things from members and a great tool for people in the tech industry. However this is where the problems start... its moving away from that, which Neowins founders do not want.

+Human.Online    8,450

Sounds like a good idea. Most threads in there are "personal" - what I mean is, people post things to which they want a response. Whereas elsewhere it's more about sharing tech or wanting to openly ask about stuff. And so I would assume that those who post in MM (myself included) will go an read that forum.

Nashy    1,661

I know what I'm allowed to read, but still, an slight indication would be good. I can post in the other one though. I'm just thinking about people who make threads from work.

I don't generally create threads from there :-)

Panacik    27

As a thought. I have seen some sites that popup a message at the top of the browser when a gust comes to the forum. The popup is like the popup you get when IE has blocked something from installing or blocked a popup window.

Can Neowin make this happen, but instead of being to register, have it poup for EVERY user as a link to the rules section. That way most people will click on it to read the rules more im sure.

I know what I'm allowed to read, but still, an slight indication would be good. I can post in the other one though. I'm just thinking about people who make threads from work.

I don't generally create threads from there :-)

A the end of the day, if you are creating a thread, think about weather you would like it to popup on your screen at work.

If you see a thread that you would deem unsafe for work, then report it.

I cant see any problem with knowing what is or is not work safe. I know what i would deem safe and not.

Steven P.    13,920

We will be adding the community rules button back next to Quick Links (in red) like we have on the old theme.

snyper    0

Why is everybody looking at me? :huh: ;)

No, in future any "jokes" im may have that have any potentila to be considered risque or ambigious will only be posted in the subscribers area.

So, now fellow sick minded individuals must subscribe to view them and support Neowin;)

Panacik    27
We will be adding the community rules button back next to Quick Links (in red) like we have on the old theme.

I think that is a good idea. Im not sure many people, especially newbies know there are even any rules on Neowin.

+Human.Online    8,450

Right, that's the reason I needed to subscribe. Roll on payday!

Panacik    27
Why is everybody looking at me? :huh: ;)

No, in future any "jokes" im may have that have any potentila to be considered risque or ambigious will only be posted in the subscribers area.

So, now fellow sick minded individuals must subscribe to view them and support Neowin;)

We werent... A little paranoid are we Snyper? :rofl:

Try not to get yourself a restricted profile in futrue then! Otherwise i suppose we will see NO posts from you at all! :rofl:

Tzimisce    0
Quote - (Tzimisce @ Oct 12 2007, 11:47) *

Well Neowin is suppose to be a great site for learning new things from members and a great tool for people in the tech industry. However this is where the problems start... its moving away from that, which Neowins founders do not want

Yes, thats what fascinated me about neowin was the sheer amount of technical knowledge i found myself in the middle of. Ive just recently decided to become active in the forums, and thus im not much for making threads. I just read and respond.

snyper    0

Ive always said that the subs area wasnt promoted enough on neowin, by meas of a small advert on the side of the screen or somewhere clealy visible

Nashy    1,661

Rich mate. Seriously. Your mod wannabeness is sickening.

Steven P.    13,920

The following forums have been removed from all forum feeds (including RSS)

- All forums in the General & Off Topic Discussion category

- Neobahn

- Sporting Arena

- NFN (Nerd free news, or non tech news items)

The Latest forum activity monitor may appear empty until 10 topics in the tech related areas have been responded to (or new topics started).

Mike    89

would it not be possible to have it set in a cookie whether we want the latest activity showing all or just the tech related topics?

that way you can login at home and have it set to all, and then at work/school/uni/whatever login and set it to just tech related.