• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista Sucks. (Again).

jebus197    14

Another reason Vista sucks. Or Vista sucks reason 352 so far....

If I do a search (any search) for a file and right click on it in Windows XP, I can tell the OS to open the location/containing folder for that file.

In Vista I can't. It seems like a small thing - but man is it frustrating!

I will never understand why MS did such crazy things with Vista, like removing the favorites option in the Windows explorer toolbar (or hiding the toolbar by default to begin with), or why they took the desktop properties, where everything in XP (themes, display settings, wallpaper, screensaver etc.) was accessible under one convenient location and split it up into multiple different locations/dialogues for no other apparently good reason than to obfuscate the OS unnecessarily, in the same way they have obfuscated just about everything else.

Favorites is a good example of this. Previously when adding a favorites entry in Windows explorer to a folder location, all you needed to do was click on Favorites and select 'add to favorites'. Now you need to create a shortcut to the folder first and then drag this to you favorites in Vista (which is also now a two handed operation using a laptop touchpad).

Don't get me wrong there are many ways that Vista is better than XP (and no UAC isn't one of them), although the impression is that the majority of these are under the hood - since they are clearly not very visible to the ordinary user.

When I use Vista I often get the impression that it is an OS that just isn't finished/ready yet - and that it will be quite some time before it really is finished.

Edited by jebus197

HawkMan    5,232

I get open file location on searches, as long as I right click on a file, and not for example a mail, wich won't have a location .

So stop spreading fud.

brand    0

yea you're wrong. thumbs_down.gif {{fart sound made with mouth}}

Vettetech    1

Why do you think Dell is offering XP again. There are several articles online about people down grading back to XP. I sure as hell aint buying Vista.

Odom    179

yay another Vista flame thread. Everybody hop on the bandwagon again.....

jebus197    14

I was searching for a javaw.exe file. This certainly does not offer a open file location dialogue. Looking again at it though, it sems it was a hidden file, so this is possibly why.

On the other counts, I stand my ground.

One other gripe I came up against was when searching, there is no *obvious* way to do an advanced search. It seems you have to search the index first and wait until it doesn't find anything, then you can do an advanced search. If it does find something (although not quite what you are looking for) there is no further indication or dialogues offering to preform and advanced search or search in other locations like there was in XP.

Maybe it can be done, although the point is the obsfucation of everything.

It was obvious and simple how to do this in XP (I certainly never needed anyone to explain it to me), but in Vista it seems much less so.

Edited by jebus197

gtho    2
I was searching for a javaw.exe file. This certainly does not offer a open file location dialogue.

Mine does see below

post-211156-1192196164_thumb.jpg

biorK    0

I will never understand why MS did such crazy things with Vista, like removing the favorites option in the Windows explorer toolbar (or hiding the toolbar by default to begin with), or why they took the desktop properties, where everything in XP (themes, display settings, wallpaper, screensaver etc.) was accessible under one convenient location and split it up into multiple different locations/dialogues for no other apparently good reason than to obfuscate the OS unnecessaryly, in the same way they have obfuscated just about everything else.

That's just habit. I think Vista's applications are pretty organized and make sense. Sure it was hard in the beginning to adjust, but using it for some time and it makes perfect sense of the locations. I've felt everything (almost) is easier to navigate to.

There are several things that I don't like about Vista, but the location of applications isn't one of them IMO.

seta-san    1,364

i wouldn't go back to xp again. i've had a very positive vista experience. of course i'm unique in the fact i can tell the difference between what's vista's fault and what is the fault of a third party software or hardware maker. in the end, everything of mine works. all drivers up to date and all running smoothly, no crashes or any weird problems to speak of.

jebus197    14
Mine does see below

Yeah man see my reply above. But as I said, I stand by the rest.

Anyway I don't see what having five seperate locations to configure display and desktop properties is 'simpler'. I'm not saying it's hard to use - but it certainly involves proportionally more mouse clicks.

brand    0

this is a anti-anti-vista thread:

post-122057-1192196520_thumb.jpg

jebus197    14

And you can't read. Read my other post above.

Anyway, I can't not not like Vista, I don't have any choice. It was bundled with my laptop. It's not that I don't like it - I just keep finding lots of little frustrations and niggles.

It isn't quite so bad that I want to go to the hassle of installing another OS yet.

Overall the look and feel of it is better than in XP - and under the hood it does feel more solid - but the rest as I said still seems to need a lot of working on.

Edited by jebus197

hotdog666al    31

That sounds rather annoying... BUT: if you don't like it, don't use it (Like me).

gtho    2

Fair enough, some things are annoying but you get used to most of them

"five seperate locations to configure display and desktop properties is 'simpler'"

^Very true, but for some n00bs, it is easier and may keep them away from changing thing that they shouldn't be changing.

franzon    7
Anyway I don't see what having five seperate locations to configure display and desktop properties is 'simpler'. I'm not saying it's hard to use - but it certainly involves proportionally more mouse clicks.

There're separate locations in order to allow them to be indexed by search engine and so easely find them as you type the correspondent word (old panel style didn't allow this because it was monolitic).

Do you want change your screensaver? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: screensaver (or the translated word, if your language is not English)

Do you want change the fonts DPI? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: font, or DPI (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the resolution of your display? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: resolution or display (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the wallpaper? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: wallpaper (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the theme? open the control panel and in the search box, type: theme (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the colors? open the control panel and in the search box, type: colors (or the word in your language)

etc.

etc.

I love it! It's so easy, so simple. Search everything as you need it. Even if you don't know where it is, you'll find it.

Edited by franzon

Janitor    0
Another reason Vista sucks. Or Vista sucks reason 352 so far....

If I do a search (any search) for a file and right click on it in Windows XP, I can tell the OS to open the location/containing folder for that file.

In Vista I can't. It seems like a small thing - but man is it frustrating!

I will never understand why MS did such crazy things with Vista, like removing the favorites option in the Windows explorer toolbar (or hiding the toolbar by default to begin with), or why they took the desktop properties, where everything in XP (themes, display settings, wallpaper, screensaver etc.) was accessible under one convenient location and split it up into multiple different locations/dialogues for no other apparently good reason than to obfuscate the OS unnecessaryly, in the same way they have obfuscated just about everything else.

Don't get me wrong there are many ways that Vista is better than XP (and no UAC isn't one of them), although the impression is that the majority of these are under the hood - since they are clearly not very visible to the ordinary user.

When I use Vista I often get the impression that it is an OS that just isn't finished/ready yet - and that it will be quite some time before it really is finshed.

Ugh.. go play in traffic and stop bashing it.

jebus197    14
There're separate locations in order to allow them to be indexed by search engine and easely find them as you type. Old panel style didn't allow this.

Do you want change your screensaver? open the control panel and in the search box type: screensaver (or the translated word, if your language is not English)

Do you want change the fonts DPI? open the control panel and in the search box type: font, or DPI (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the resolution of your display? open the control panel and in the search box type: resolution or display (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the wallpaper? open the control panel and in the search box type: wallpaper (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the theme? open the control panel and in the search box type: theme (or the word in your language)

etc.

etc.

Yes, yes I know how it works. I just don't see how it is any easier to use.

To my mind 'easier' means less mouse clicks - not just setting it out in a way that they (MS) believe an imbecile should be able to use it. Breaking everything up into separate dialogues as appears to have happened in many different places in Vista does not achieve this goal particularly well in my view.

Ugh.. go play in traffic and stop bashing it.

Sorry mate, it's my computer - and if I find these things frustrating, then that is completely my prerogative.

daniel_rh    69
Why do you think Dell is offering XP again. There are several articles online about people down grading back to XP. I sure as hell aint buying Vista.

1. Regular users found Vista a little complicated.

2. Vista is not for everybody, at least not for now.

2. Regular users doesn't know anything about OS kernels, security implementations, APIs... They can have a total new OS inside but if the interface is barely the same for regular users is just the same old OS but heavier.

2. Dell's hardware isn't really great to run Vista in some models.

3. Vista is for Mid and High-end PCs

4. Vista runs like a charm in my PC :D

no complain for me and I have four PCs running Vista!

+shift.    21

You'll get used to it. I hated it when I got it with my laptop. Now I think it's fine....

jebus197    14

Well I've had my laptop for just over a month - and I am still finding odd quirks I don't like. If I do get used to it, it will probably be due to becoming simply resigned to it. It won't be because it has somehow suddenly got better. In any case it's not as if some of the things I mentioned that are missing in Vista are suddenly going to reappear.

1759    1
I was searching for a javaw.exe file. This certainly does not offer a open file location dialogue. Looking again at it though, it sems it was a hidden file, so this is possibly why.

On the other counts, I stand my ground.

One other gripe I came up against was when searching, there is no *obvious* way to do an advanced search. It seems you have to search the index first and wait until it doesn't find anything, then you can do an advanced search. If it does find something (although not quite what you are looking for) there is no further indication or dialogues offering to preform and advanced search or search in other locations like there was in XP.

Maybe it can be done, although the point is the obsfucation of everything.

It was obvious and simple how to do this in XP (I certainly never needed anyone to explain it to me), but in Vista it seems much less so.

I did a search for javaw.exe on my laptop, and it totally worked fine, when right-clicking on it.

post-1053-1192209437_thumb.jpg

Vista market share is same as Windows 98 (around 8%), and that tells a lot.

Mike Frett    34
You'll get used to it.

And that's the problem. If people put their foot down and demanded a thoroughly tested and finished product, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

But nobody ever says anything, they just bend over and take it deeper. Time for people to wake up and get out of this fanboyism and talk with their money and/or switching to a different OS. It's now or never, and I can't think of a better time.

Just my two cent, hope you all have a nice day today. There's a nice blue sky out where I am, think I may go out for a stroll.

rr_dRock    227

^^ why not a strut? =) i might have to as well.

anyway. vista isnt the best OS ever made. But it's perfectly fine in its own respect. The reason people bash it is because they don't understand it.

Use it for a year and then tell me what you think.

and yes. if we don't like it. we should be able to shove a stick in the makers eye.

MDboyz    663

Lolz.. this post is a joke.

Why Vista needs to have same features or funcions in Winxp? ..........

It's not 'cuz you don't like it, then it is sux.

Vista is rox.. just you are sux...