Vista Sucks. (Again).

Vista market share is same as Windows 98 (around 8%), and that tells a lot.

Wow, those are really relevant and timely statistics. I can draw 50 conclusions from that statement alone! Go you!

Vista market share is same as Windows 98 (around 8%), and that tells a lot.

At one point Windows 98 had a 90% market share so what?... XP Started out slow also! but then XP's massive market share is because it has been out since 2001! that is a lot of OEM systems sold with it preinstalled... vista will do the same over time

Lolz.. this post is a joke.

Why Vista needs to have same features or funcions in Winxp? ..........

It's not 'cuz you don't like it, then it is sux.

Vista is rox.. just you are sux...

And what age are you 13 and 1/2?

Lolz.. this post is a joke.

Why Vista needs to have same features or funcions in Winxp? ..........

It's not 'cuz you don't like it, then it is sux.

Vista is rox.. just you are sux...

English please, your typing is terrible and so if your grammar. Sign off, immediately before you hurt yourself.

There're separate locations in order to allow them to be indexed by search engine and so easely find them as you type the correspondent word (old panel style didn't allow this because it was monolitic).

Do you want change your screensaver? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: screensaver (or the translated word, if your language is not English)

Do you want change the fonts DPI? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: font, or DPI (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the resolution of your display? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: resolution or display (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the wallpaper? open the Control Panel and in the search box, type: wallpaper (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the theme? open the control panel and in the search box, type: theme (or the word in your language)

Do you want change the colors? open the control panel and in the search box, type: colors (or the word in your language)

etc.

etc.

I love it! It's so easy, so simple. Search everything as you need it. Even if you don't know where it is, you'll find it.

I tried the searches you posted but it didnt work. I found out the problem was that i was in "classic view". Works like you said in "Control Panel Home". Sure beats searching for the icon in classic view, type and go (Y)

One other gripe I came up against was when searching, there is no *obvious* way to do an advanced search. It seems you have to search the index first and wait until it doesn't find anything, then you can do an advanced search. If it does find something (although not quite what you are looking for) there is no further indication or dialogues offering to preform and advanced search or search in other locations like there was in XP.

Yeah, I can see how clicking the satart icong and clicking the text link that says search isn't all that obvious... I mean.. it's not at all identical to how you got advanced search on XP or anything...

At one point Windows 98 had a 90% market share so what?... XP Started out slow also! but then XP's massive market share is because it has been out since 2001! that is a lot of OEM systems sold with it preinstalled... vista will do the same over time

I get your point but I think he was trying to imply that vista has a much market share as an operating system that should already be long gone. (but obviously isn't. jeez 8% is way too much, are we sure win98 has an 8% market share as of today?)

its the same song and dance all over again, ppl coming into the thread ranting on aboot vista flaws, i for one am tired of these meaningless threads, they prove useless and secondly if u hate Vista so much, get xp and wait for sp3 :)

he complains you compain who cares just format already :) Vista has become muchbetter since the release and it will be one of the bst os's out ther in the windows family ive been back and fourth with windows vista and xp I did the same with xp and 2000. sometimes change is hard but I think it is overall beautifully made despite some of its flaws. Use the Os that fits your needs i had my own personal probs with my gtx 8800 and vista for sometime but most of those probs had been digilently worked out between nvidia and microsoft. If you dont care for vista try to stick it out it will grow on you and it will improve in many ways. Microsoft is listening to its user base.

I was searching for a javaw.exe file. This certainly does not offer a open file location dialogue. Looking again at it though, it sems it was a hidden file, so this is possibly why.

One other gripe I came up against was when searching, there is no *obvious* way to do an advanced search. It seems you have to search the index first and wait until it doesn't find anything, then you can do an advanced search. If it does find something (although not quite what you are looking for) there is no further indication or dialogues offering to preform and advanced search or search in other locations like there was in XP.

Maybe it can be done, although the point is the obsfucation of everything.

it is simple to find and so clear right on the start menu

post-74594-1192227424_thumb.jpg

post-74594-1192227436_thumb.jpg

post-74594-1192227447_thumb.jpg

Personally, I feel that Windows Vista is a fantastic operating system. The start search is absolutely wonderful, as well as the faster networking stack and much improved aesthetics (in my opinion). As other people have said, if you don't like Windows Vista, you are free to move to any operating system you wish. You're not obligated to remain in Windows Vista.

I feel that some of the problems people have with Vista arise because some people want them to exist. It almost seems that if some people looked, they would find what they are looking for (e.g. the advanced search function).

As someone previously mentioned, use Vista for a while longer to get used to it. I reckon it will grow on you, and again, if you don't want to use it, choose another operating system. Your choice.

Smctainsh

it is simple to find and so clear right on the start menu

Sadly that button is going away in SP1. Don't blame us though.

However, I think he was asking about how to get to advanced search from a regular Explorer window.

To do so, you just need to turn on the Search Pane (Organize -> Layout -> Search Pane).

The other way to do advanced searches is to use Advanced Query Syntax. Just type something like:

date:yesterday

modified:today

kind:document

ext:doc

author:joe

etc

Also, the "Open File Location" context menu entry is there for every file on the file system (and in many other places).

You won't, however, see it for mail items or attachments.

And possibly not for files in compressed folders (zip files), can't remember.

However, I think he was asking about how to get to advanced search from a regular Explorer window.

To do so, you just need to turn on the Search Pane (Organize -> Layout -> Search Pane).

The other way to do advanced searches is to use Advanced Query Syntax. Just type something like:

etc

Also, the "Open File Location" context menu entry is there for every file on the file system (and in many other places).

The search button is going away but the start mean search box and the search stuff on explorer arent.

Right-clicking the desktop still places all of the display items in one area... they're just separated within that window.... so it's easier to know what you can do. And to add favourites just drag it to the favourites link bar...

if you ppl would actualy use vista instead bashing it before using it you would not be crying about it,vistas got quierks but it's actualy pretty good,when it first came out it was bad but it has matured alot since then,i bet sp1 will fix alot of those bugs.i bet when vista is better ppl will still bash it cuzz they got nothing better to do than to bash something they know nothing about.

You can use advanced search in Start menu search box, in Windows Explorer search box, in Control Panel search box, in Windows Mail search box, in WMP11 search box, everywhere you find a search box,

using bolean or other operators and advanced syntax (have you ever read the help guide?), natural language is also avaible:

1) Do you want search Items containing microsoft, but not windows?

open the start menu or Windows Explorer, type: microsoft NOT windows

2) Do you want Find items with a date after 11/05/04 ?

open the start menu, type: date: >11/05/04

3) Do you want Find items with patrick or bob in the Author property ?

open the start menu, type: author:(patrick OR bob)

4) Do you want find email from "jake" that was sent in 2007,

open the start menu, type: kind:email author:jake after:12/31/2006

5) Do you want search for files with a value in the Size property between 5MB and 7MB, excluding those sizes ?

open the start menu, type: size:>5M <7M

there're more examples in help guide (start -> help and support) and on this site:

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...techniques.aspx

Edited by franzon

"But anyway" what?

You were clearly misinformed or just too lazy to look for this feature in Vista. You were corrected, and now you're complaining that the feature you were looking for all along wasn't thought out properly.

Just go away.

etc

If it has to be removed from Windows Vista, why doesn't it get removed from Windows XP SP3 as well? I love that Search button :( Damn you, ******

If it has to be removed from Windows Vista, why doesn't it get removed from Windows XP SP3 as well? I love that Search button :( Damn you, ******

can't you use windows key f?.. to open the search window?

Google complained about Windows Desktop Search and 3rd party desktop search competing for resources in Vista. XP doesn't contain an integrated desktop search so this change doesn't apply.