Partition A SATA Drive...? (Problems)

I'm trying to resize & partition my main hard drive (C:\). I tried using PartitionMagic & Acronis Disk Director Suite, both of them give me either Disk not found, or cannot identify windows partition, which i'm guessing are both errors due to the fact that I have an SATA drive...

So how do I partition my drive now...?

Windows XP Pro

1.6GHz Core Duo

1GB DDR2 Ram

It's possible that something could be wrong with the hard drive. I've been using Acronis Disk Director for awhile now and guess what, I have a western digital 500GB hdd and Acronis detects it everytime. Aconis detects the window partition on my machine no problem. Also not every version of acronis disk director suite works with sata, get the latest version.

I do have the latest version of it.

Seems SATA is a huge pain in the $@&

I still think something is wrong with the drive because I've never had a problem like the one you're describing. That's just my opinion.

Seems so.. I'm buying a IDE HDD ASAP so i can use XP without ****ing around with nLite etc!

Yeah, I was even having issues with nLite and XP/SATA, but I believe those are solved now....

I still think something is wrong with the drive because I've never had a problem like the one you're describing. That's just my opinion.

That's possible, but several disk diagnostic programs reported no issues at all, maybe it's just how the computer is setup. Are you on a desktop? Because i'm on a laptop...

Laptop or desktop, sata or ATA, it doesn't matter. Partition Magic (v. 8 or later) or Acronis DD should work just fine. I assume that both utilities are full retail versions and properly installed. Boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r. If you still have a problem, look in Disk Management and make sure the Drive appears normal and "healthy". Let's start there and see where we are.

It occurs on the reboot, when it's supposed to perform the actual partitioning. And I tried partitioning the drive last year when I got the laptop and got the same error.

I KNOW it has to do with loading the SATA drivers....and i'm gonna try the gparted option posted above - found a spare cd-rw :)